Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

What spark plugs is everyone running?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What spark plugs is everyone running?

The car has 28k on it and I figure I should do the plugs.

Ive been researching and have seen a few NGK part numbers thrown around.

NGK #5344, the IFR6D10 plugs, These are about $11 each from what I find. Long life laser Iridium? No need IMO.

I guess the colder plugs are the NGK 6988? BKR7EIX-11. These are about $6-7 each.

Is my research right? What are you guys running? Ive always used champion coppers in my Hemi and other cars. I recall using NGKs in my SRT-4.

Just curious to what you all use.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What spark plugs is everyone running?

longevity use stock

performance: idle and response no HP/TQ: iridium ix

Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Agree keep stock ones. I'm modded more than you and still think stock is best. Until I have problems I'll change. I figure with over 300 passes I would have had some by now.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular

im using one heat range colder NGX IX Iridiums. Purchased from Rob at Needswings.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jturkel
im using one heat range colder NGX IX Iridiums. Purchased from Rob at Needswings.

I had those same plugs(but from LET) that I put in my car at 3,000miles when I did my 185 pullies and other mods. As of yesterday I changed them out at 9,300 miles with stock Champion platinums and the car idles SMOOOOOTH now. I was hoping somehow my plugs were bad(but they seemed in good shape) and possibly causing my boost issue.............but changing them fixed nothing except the idle.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
I had those same plugs(but from LET) that I put in my car at 3,000miles when I did my 185 pullies and other mods. As of yesterday I changed them out at 9,300 miles with stock Champion platinums and the car idles SMOOOOOTH now. I was hoping somehow my plugs were bad(but they seemed in good shape) and possibly causing my boost issue.............but changing them fixed nothing except the idle.
did you have idle problems with the NGKs? i have had no problems with them or my magnecor wires at all

Old 04-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jturkel
x2
Just put them in Friday and the car seems to run fine. Still have a slightg rough idle though.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular

NGK IRIDIUM BKR7EIX-11. NO PROBLEMS, RAN FOR ABOUT 3500 MI. SO FAR.
ILLCYA

Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had posted this up last year but here it is again:

Quote:
The insulator nose length is the distance from the firing tip of the insulator to the point where insulator meets the metal shell. Since the insulator tip is the hottest part of the spark plug, the tip temperature is a primary factor in pre-ignition and fouling. Whether the spark plugs are fitted in a lawnmower, boat, or a race car, the spark plug tip temperature must remain between 500°C-850°C. If the tip temperature is lower than 500°C, the insulator area surrounding the center electrode will not be hot enough to burn off carbon and combustion chamber deposits. These accumulated deposits can result in spark plug fouling leading to misfire. If the tip temperature is higher than 850°C the spark plug will overheat which may cause the ceramic around the center electrode to blister and the electrodes to melt. This may lead to pre-ignition/detonation and expensive engine damage. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. A projected style spark plug firing tip temperature is increased by 10°C to 20°C.

charttempfiringend.gif

Quote:
The term spark plug heat range refers to the speed with which the plug can transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the engine head. Whether the plug is to be installed in a boat, lawnmower or racecar, it has been found the optimum combustion chamber temperature for gasoline engines is between 500°C–850°C. When it is within that range it is cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and plug tip overheating (which can cause engine damage), while still hot enough to burn off combustion deposits which cause fouling.
The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.
An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug. A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder per modification or one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.
The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, by that we mean, a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK nor the same in Autolite. Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for domestic manufacturers (Champion, Autolite, Splitfire), the higher the number, the hotter the plug. For Japanese manufacturers (NGK, Denso), the higher the number, the colder the plug.
Do not make spark plug changes at the same time as another engine modification such as injection, carburetion or timing changes as in the event of poor results, it can lead to misleading and inaccurate conclusions (an exception would be when the alternate plugs came as part of a single precalibrated upgrade kit). When making spark plug heat range changes, it is better to err on the side of too cold a plug. The worst thing that can happen from too cold a plug is a fouled spark plug, too hot a spark plug can cause severe engine damage.

chartheatratingflowpath.gifHeatDissipation.jpg

Stock plugs for various FI'ed import vehicles:
Toyota
Supra - 2jz-gte Same as 1uz-fe. NGK heat range 6, .044 gap
Supra - 7m-gte (BKR), NGK heat range 6, .032 gap
MR2 - 4a-gze (BCR) NGK heat range 6, .044 gap
MR2 - 3s-gte (BKR) NGK heat range 6, .032 gap
Mazda
MX6 GT - 2.2L Turbo NGK heat range 6, .044 gap
Nissan
300ZX - VG30DETT NGK heat range 5, .044 gap
Audi/VW
Virtually everything FI'ed uses the same plug as a 1uz-fe.
etc. on down the line.
The moral, If it's boosted from the factory & not a rotary, it most likely runs an NGK 6 heat range!

Now for anyone doing some mild-medium FI, or n2o. The obvious choice would be the BKR8E / BKR8ES. The problem, is that while NGK still makes BKR8xx's. They don't make/distribute them anymore! The coldest they go in the BKR seires is the 7. On the other side... The BCR's WILL fit, and DO go to 8.
There in lies the question... Swap to a colder plug with a different end, or stick with the BKR's that don't go as cold.
Here's your answer!
Use the BKR8E! NGK Part no. 6097.
It's the plug of choice for:
The modified 3s-gte crowd, nearly all the boosted/modified Supra owners (Even all NA-T's), 300zx's Audi/VW people.

Can you use Iridium plugs under boost? Yes! Despite my inital thoughts on the matter; research has shown they work very, very well! Like N/A, nothing currently works better. If you can afford them, NGK BKR7EIX no.6988 / Denso IK22.
(I would highly suggest doing all of your tuning on cheap copper plugs. Crappy tuning will show up faster as they get destroyed faster. Most of the time... You can replace every copper plug on an engine for what one good Iridium plug costs. Small mistakes, don't tune into $80-120 mistakes!)

Lastly,
Plug gaps!
Stock gaps are .044... We're running FI, and that's no longer acceptable! For mild boost .031-.035 is the sweet spot! for heavier boost, drop down to .028-.031.
*Be very careful adjusting plug gaps. Most OEM's say not to adjust it more than 0.008. Lame... Make sure they still line up when you gap them!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NGK plug reference:
NGKsparkplugNum.gif
TR55-1-vx.gif
ngk.gif

Denso plug reference:
denso_specs.jpg

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice plug info, photoman. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 PM

Just slightly off topic because I haven't had to change the plugs in my Crossfire yet, but I thought it funny that the suggested NGK plug (BKR7EIX-11) is what I just used in my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L HO motor. That's what that motor calls for, and I had a hell of a time finding them at any of the local parts stores here in RI. Had to order them.

Peace
Paul

Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Forum Regular

I just ordered the NGK 6988, BKR7EIX-11 from the local Orilley's $6.99 each.

Guess we will see how they are in on friday.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using the stockers with a .034 gap.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:11 AM

what sparks are you guys running nowadays?

U're sain in this thread that stock has 044 gap, but the gap for stock ifr6d10 is 1mm, or 0.039inch, and the gap for bkr7ex-11(6988) which you consider as a proper change for 6-s is 0.43-1.1mm. That is bigger than the stock ones. I understand that heat range is higher, against stock ones but the gap is important too. wouldn't it be better to run bkr7ex-IX (2667) that has gap 0.31 and 7 heat range? have anyone of you tried these ones?

Old 05-28-2019, 08:54 PM

Nice rims