Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

supercharger pulley vs. crank pulley

Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation supercharger pulley vs. crank pulley

I bought a 181 and it seems to have yielded similar results to my 185. With my 185 i could immediately jump Brian(BDJ's Racing) by 1-1.5 cars, but he would always start pulling back at around 120mph or so. He has similar mods and a code 3 pulley. Then i swapped to the code 3 pulley and we were dead even. Now i have the 181 and its the exact same thing, i pull an instant 1-1.5 car lenghts then at 120mph or so he starts to reel me in. We always start from a 50mph 2nd gear punch, we have the "ready-set-go" down to an art, so all is fair. The 1/4 mile is over by 120mph so the crank pulley is definitely superior to the code 3 for 1/4 mile times, but id still like to know whats happening here. Why does the crank pulley peter out at top end while the code 3 keeps pulling strong?

First i would like to ask other members to try and duplicate my findings. I always assumed that the bigger crank pulley created higher IAT's at the top end than the code 3, or that maybe the ecu was pulling timing. I am no longer so sure of this. BTW, AFR is fine as all this occurs.

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 01-24-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: supercharger pulley vs. crank pulley

There is a difference in the numerical ratios of the two competing belt turners. Id imagine the the inlet air temps of the two cars is coming into play and that your heating is pulling timing at the top end after you HEAT SOAK the intercooler.

Try rolling up to 80 or 90 and then punch it, youll probably get to 120 first before you pull back some. Just saying Woody

Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: supercharger pulley vs. crank pulley

2 possible reasons is there is some minor belt slippage in the upper rpms. I was experiencing this with just the 178. It was very minor but some slippage none the less. Gues 2 if there is no belt slip is the higher intake temps are causing the ECU to be less aggressive on the timing on prolonged pulls.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just do the 1/4 mile and see who wins. rolling runs arent a good example of who has a better setup

do you 2 have the same tunes? my c3 was fun with a stock tune but after tony did his magic my 32 is a demon in diguise!! the torque is immediate from 2000 to 6000 an almost flat line

Last edited by 32krazy!; 01-24-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
just do the 1/4 mile and see who wins. rolling runs arent a good example of who has a better setup
actually, in many car enthusiast circles. rolling runs are how performance is measured. it reduces so many other variables present during a launch.

most often the 60-130mph test is the best regarded test of performance.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
actually, in many car enthusiast circles. rolling runs are how performance is measured. it reduces so many other variables present during a launch.

most often the 60-130mph test is the best regarded test of performance.
That is the first time i have ever heard anyone say that outside of a honda forum lol. I know most fwd tuners like to roll race because they have huge traction issues.

Most race/performance enthusiasts i know consider drag racing at the track or road course racing at the track are what shows how performance of a car is measured.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 PM

I too agree roll racing is a great way to test real world gains. Ive probably got $1000 in dyno runs proving this and that, but what matters is if i pull on the guy next to me on the street. I dont care if he can launch a 1.5 60ft at the track that wont matter on the highway.

So has anyone else tested my theory? I know i cant have been the only one to pick up on this...ahem, lean issue...ahem.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
That is the first time i have ever heard anyone say that outside of a honda forum lol. I know most fwd tuners like to roll race because they have huge traction issues.
stickied in W211 E55 AMG sub-forum on mbworld: **The Official 60-130 Thread MBWorld Edition** - MBWorld.org Forums

Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by jturkel
stickied in W211 E55 AMG sub-forum on mbworld: **The Official 60-130 Thread MBWorld Edition** - MBWorld.org Forums

Well heck, if it is stickied in a Mercedes forum on the net then it has to be true!

I am not bashing anyone before someone flips out and throws a fit or PM's a mod. Simply stating my opinion just like everyone else has done in this thread. You can use street racing times to gauge performance and I will use what I use. I rarely find myself running 60-130, especially on the street (never actually) so that would be worthless for me to measure performance by. Again, that is just me so I am sure I am wrong on that. I do not know anything about cars or all that stuff so I am sure I am mistaken. Sorry about that. how was 60-130 chosen? Why not 55-125 or 65-135 or so on?

Last edited by mrphotoman; 01-25-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 AM
THREE 6S

I recall when members of this forum was dyno this, dyno that. Then it went to, dynos don’t tell the complete story, you need time slips. Now those two measures aren’t good enough and we are to measure real performance by our 60-130 time. We should remember that our cars only have 6 cylinders with a wittle bitty supercharger…..

240, what are your IAT’s reading at that speed? I’ll make a run to Mexico to test mine..

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 AM

60-130 MPH - Times or even better 60-170 MPH - Times . Like I showed in my Video...

YouTube - SLK32 AMG 100-270 KM/H in 23 Seconds.

In my Opinion a car which can't maintain the Power at higher speeds is not properly tuned. But maybe this is only important, if you have the possibility to drive at very high speeds...

@240 : Monitor your IAT's and Timing and you will see the whole story.

Last edited by SLK32Germany; 01-25-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what im talking about is that when 2 cars run rolling runs the guy who is honking has an advantage. he knows when he is going to go wot.
the 60 to 130 thread is not racing just the fastest monitered time.
what the op is asking is why he and another that are racing arent seeing more dramitic results. its a side by side race. thats why i think the 1/4 mile or better yet a 1 mile run would be a better assesment than a rolling run

slk32germany we dont have the high speed abbilities you have in everyday life. the texas mile or roadcourses are the only places we can run wide open without fear of being tossed in jail!! thats why the 1/4 mile is popular here

Last edited by 32krazy!; 01-25-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by SLK32Germany
60-130 MPH - Times or even better 60-170 MPH - Times is like we make our real comparisons in Germany . Like I showed in my Video...

YouTube - SLK32 AMG 100-270 KM/H in 23 Seconds.

In my Opinion a car which can't maintain the Power at higher speeds is not properly tuned. But maybe this is not so important in the U.S...

@240 : Monitor your IAT's and Timing and you will see the whole story.
You are correct sir, the USA knows nothing about tuning or performance or how to measure either. I apoligise on behalf of the United states for all of our shortfalls, we are humbled by your greatness sir.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 AM

32krazy, I know...

The only one I know who did the Texas Mile with an SRT6 or SLK32 was Brian Brave. I told him next time to take also the time (Seconds) for better comparisons (maybe a little speedo video?) . He reached 169MPH at the end, when I remember correctly. Which is around 270 KM/H in my Video.

So please everyone here, join the Texas Mile. This would be great.

In my opinion it is possible to do a fair race, from a rolling start. Do three times the signal-horn and the third time you Kickdown. No problem. Or you are connected via phone...

Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 AM

You are correct sir, the USA knows nothing about tuning or performance or how to measure either. I apoligise on behalf of the United states for all of our shortfalls, we are humbled by your greatness sir.
My apologies, it was not my intention to hurt anyone here in this forum...
I know, that the Americans know A LOT about Tuning! But in Germany we know also a little, little bit to make our cars faster...

Last edited by SLK32Germany; 01-25-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I bought a 181 and it seems to have yielded similar results to my 185. With my 185 i could immediately jump Brian(BDJ's Racing) by 1-1.5 cars, but he would always start pulling back at around 120mph or so. He has similar mods and a code 3 pulley. Then i swapped to the code 3 pulley and we were dead even. Now i have the 181 and its the exact same thing, i pull an instant 1-1.5 car lenghts then at 120mph or so he starts to reel me in. We always start from a 50mph 2nd gear punch, we have the "ready-set-go" down to an art, so all is fair. The 1/4 mile is over by 120mph so the crank pulley is definitely superior to the code 3 for 1/4 mile times, but id still like to know whats happening here. Why does the crank pulley peter out at top end while the code 3 keeps pulling strong?

First i would like to ask other members to try and duplicate my findings. I always assumed that the bigger crank pulley created higher IAT's at the top end than the code 3, or that maybe the ecu was pulling timing. I am no longer so sure of this. BTW, AFR is fine as all this occurs.
That is interesting I would have thought there would be more of a difference than 1 to 1.5 car lengths with the 185 pulley. Of course there are so many other variables such as supporting mods, what tune each car was running and from who, how sticky and the weight of the tires, wheel weight and so on. That is definately interesting information though, thanks.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by SLK32Germany
32krazy, I know...

So please everyone here, join the Texas Mile. This would be great.
I agree so get your SRT6 entered now before all the spaces fill up:

Texas Mile 3/26/10: TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

BBOR 4/21/10: BBORR - Checklist

Silver State Classic 5/13/10: Homepage Main Menu: Flat Out On A Public Highway! (home.htm) (They also run timed 1/2 mile and mile events.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
I agree so get your SRT6 entered now before all the spaces fill up:
Too late... all full.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
THREE 6S

Answer Here.

Courtesy of Forza1

Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular

Why are you always such a D@#k??? SLK32 Germany is always helpful and genuine good guy.

Quick Reply: supercharger pulley vs. crank pulley