Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Has any SRT6 Roadster wing cracked and fallen off?

Old 04-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Has any SRT6 Roadster wing cracked and fallen off?

Originally Posted by UrbanE
It’s never cracked since.
will repaint it this year, but no additional repair required

It’s now bulletproof
Is there a difference in the srt roadster wing vs the srt coupe?

Old 04-26-2024, 04:23 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

I believe the mounts are different.

The following users liked this post:
machfivecrossfire (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 04:24 PM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, they are different. The stanchions are different to accommodate the slope of the coupe or the flater plain on the roadster deck lid.

My understanding is that only the wings on the roadsters are subject to cracking.

every roadster I’ve see has a cracked wing. If it’s not cracked yet, it will.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:48 PM

Yes, they are different. The stanchions are different to accommodate the slope of the coupe or the flater plain on the roadster deck lid.

My understanding is that only the wings on the roadsters are subject to cracking.

every roadster I’ve see has a cracked wing. If it’s not cracked yet, it will.
If someone has a roadster wing that they could loan me. I can have them reproduced with reinforcements to prevent any further cracking issues. A wing with broken struts would be optimal for this..

Last edited by machfivecrossfire; 04-26-2024 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add more text
Old 04-26-2024, 05:29 PM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

Good luck with a reproduction, I mean this sincerely. I say good luck for a number of reasons.
1) I preface the price of the wing with another desirable item. The car should have come equipped with a double din but it didn't. A double din should cost, at a minimum, $500. This $$ number is a stretch for a lot of people, understandably so, everything has gone way up in the last 24 months and its tough to justify nice to have vs. need to have.
2) Now the wing, good luck in getting a loaner, they are pretty rare and I don't think there are too many spares floating around. (My guess for a reproduced wing would be $1000 min. Most likely primed only.)
3) Here's the rub, new members with recent join dates are going to have a hard time in acquiring "Loaner" items (This is not directed at anyone specific, it's just a trust thing and trust equals commitments met over time), especially as rare as the wing for a roadster. It's not personal but it's a trust thing with hard to find, hard to ship and impossible to replace items. Lots and lots of new members have made promises and just as many have never been fulfilled. ie mass produced double din.

I hope my budget number of $1,000 is way too high and you're able to acquire, manufacture and ship for a lot less. I know what it cost me in both material and time and I would peg a reproduction safely at $1000
If you take this on, I wish you success on every step along the way. Document your activities and take lots of photos.

As an FYI
There is an SRT Wing deck mounting plate on eBay from Quirk parts
$764. That's for a plate without the wing.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM

Good luck with a reproduction, I mean this sincerely. I say good luck for a number of reasons.
1) I preface the price of the wing with another desirable item. The car should have come equipped with a double din but it didn't. A double din should cost, at a minimum, $500. This $$ number is a stretch for a lot of people, understandably so, everything has gone way up in the last 24 months and its tough to justify nice to have vs. need to have.
2) Now the wing, good luck in getting a loaner, they are pretty rare and I don't think there are too many spares floating around. (My guess for a reproduced wing would be $1000 min. Most likely primed only.)
3) Here's the rub, new members with recent join dates are going to have a hard time in acquiring "Loaner" items (This is not directed at anyone specific, it's just a trust thing and trust equals commitments met over time), especially as rare as the wing for a roadster. It's not personal but it's a trust thing with hard to find, hard to ship and impossible to replace items. Lots and lots of new members have made promises and just as many have never been fulfilled. ie mass produced double din.

I hope my budget number of $1,000 is way too high and you're able to acquire, manufacture and ship for a lot less. I know what it cost me in both material and time and I would peg a reproduction safely at $1000
If you take this on, I wish you success on every step along the way. Document your activities and take lots of photos.

As an FYI
There is an SRT Wing deck mounting plate on eBay from Quirk parts
$764. That's for a plate without the wing.

All good points thanks for the input. To clarify a few things. I personally will not be making these. I am working with a company that can produce them. They believe the cracking issue can be overcome in a couple of ways. 1 is to slightly redesign the factory flaw in the the struts and 2. We have much stronger materials to work with today as opposed to 2005. Price was my second concern with them. They have a fee for tooling and then a price for each piece with no minimums. Its funny you mentioned $1000.00 dollars as I wanted them to specifically be less than that number. And they seem confident that can be acheived. If you had to replace your wing today and money was not an object. How much would one cost? If you can find it. The general consencious in all forums is that no matter how good you treat your car. They will crack. I need a broken wing so that their engineers can determine what exactly they are made of and what we have now that is a better fit for this application. From there we can determine a cost of reproduction. It is not a sure thing. It takes a little effort just to determine if it can be done at an affordable rate. They can do a coupe srt wing for well under $1000.00 that has been established already. As far as trusting new members. I get that. I have been burned by long time members in this same situation. I will put my integrity on the line anytime with anyone. I joined this forum to help out the Crossfire family and to learn the things on our cars that I have not already conquered. Im not here to rip anyone off. I have stuff listed in marketplace at fair market prices. If you think its too high make a reasinable offer. A lot of Crossfire owners are some of the cheapest people on the planet unless they are selling something. My goal is to come up with affordable solutions for our cars. We are all we have, as to keep the fires rolling, our collective knowledge is greater than any dealer or shop. We have to work together. Just sayin.

M60A3Driver (04-27-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:18 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by machfivecrossfire
………..
A lot of Crossfire owners are some of the cheapest people on the planet unless they are selling something. My goal is to come up with affordable solutions for our cars. We are all we have, as to keep the fires rolling, our collective knowledge is greater than any dealer or shop. We have to work together. Just sayin.
You have noticed that too, I agree with you.
But a lot have a car that is from the bottom of the barrel with a lot of owners who never took care of it at all, so they are reluctant to spend too much on their cars.
These days there are a lot of people who have not got the extra cash to spend.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-29-2024 at 10:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by onehundred80:
GraphiteGhost (04-30-2024), M60A3Driver (04-30-2024), machfivecrossfire (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:37 AM
Forum Regular
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
But a lot have a car that is from the bottom of the barrel with a lot of owners who never took care of it at all, so they are reluctant to spend too much on their cars.
You're right about the cost of parts, tools, and products these days. I also shouldn't have spent as much as I did.
However, after the rough couple of years I've had, I finally have some happiness in my life again! Also, you can't take it with you.

GraphiteGhost (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 08:08 AM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by M60A3Driver
You're right about the cost of parts, tools, and products these days. I also shouldn't have spent as much as I did.
However, after the rough couple of years I've had, I finally have some happiness in my life again! Also, you can't take it with you.

Absolutely correct. I'm of the mindset that if you need it and it is there, your not at the whim of those who would take advantage (interest payments or risk of seizure). Then, if you happen to leave this plane of existence, you can will it to someone/something that can make the most good out of it (just watch the vultures come out of the woodwork trying to find the will and destroy it, I have seen it too many times in my lifetime with ppl who passed!).

Old 04-30-2024, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Im not sure any crossfire is a top tier car. They all have plastic issues for one. Very complex computer systems, and hardly any replacement parts available. I understand about having the extra money these days. However it is something that I have noticed before the economy has tanked. We all fix our cars ourselves to save money because the shops have no clue yet charge top rate to basically make them worse or not fix them at all. Im cheap too. But I have 10 vehicles. If I need the part and am a little short on cash I will make an offer of what I have. I have been turned down over as little as 5 dollars and those parts never sold. Guy still has them going on 5 years now. 🤣🤣🤣