Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

What crank pulley did I buy?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What crank pulley did I buy?

Originally Posted by MikeR
That WP pulley has a very sharp angle on the inside like the originals... the upgraded one has a nice radius on it, in addition to being thicker....
agreed, don't put that on the car....get a new one....

Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.

The reality of this is just now sinking in.

I spent around $700 for this?

1. Mystery crank pulley that clanks and measures only 171.5mm.
2. Used crankshaft bolt that may or may not be for an SRT6. Either way it's used.
3. Used water pump pulley that is prone to failing.
4. Idler pulley with a bearing that can't handle the peak RPMs and is likely to fail at some point.

I'm not even sure the pulley is for an SRT6 motor. Either way, I'm not using it.

I should have just taken seven $100 bills and flushed them down the toilet.

Damn.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by pelked1
Wow.

2. Used crankshaft bolt that may or may not be for an SRT6. Either way it's used.
4. Idler pulley with a bearing that can't handle the peak RPMs and is likely to fail at some point.

I'm not even sure the pulley is for an SRT6 motor. Either way, I'm not using it.

Damn.
Ask for you money back, this forum is a good place to request something like this in public.
Let everyone see the reply, let's face it is not good for business.
The parts are not used, and are dangerous to use.
If you don't ask you don't get.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Ask for you money back, this forum is a good place to request something like this in public.
Let everyone see the reply, let's face it is not good for business.
The parts are not used, and are dangerous to use.
If you don't ask you don't get.
ok, you can try and deface a company on the internet...however, the company that sold him this part was originally JUST a tuning company, and has since been purchased by a larger company... so seems as though you are trying to deface a ghost in the machine.

...good luck with that if you choose to go that route, but I don't see it being as fruitful as maybe just giving someone a call and seeing if they can help you out at all...

Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
ok, you can try and deface a company on the internet...however, the company that sold him this part was originally JUST a tuning company, and has since been purchased by a larger company... so seems as though you are trying to deface a ghost in the machine.

...good luck with that if you choose to go that route, but I don't see it being as fruitful as maybe just giving someone a call and seeing if they can help you out at all...
I do not see the new owner stepping up to the plate, it seems the best advice they can give is get a new one..... some help.
Someone sold a pig in a poke for $700 and got away with it.
I repeat my earlier advice 'don't ask don't get'.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-11-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I do not see the new owner stepping up to the plate, it seems the best advice they can give is get a new one..... some help.
Someone sold a pig in a poke for $700 and got away with it.
I repeat my earlier advice 'don't ask don't get'.
actually if you read the post I made I recommended to get a new water pump pulley which is cheap.

The pulley here is question is without a doubt an evosport pulley. Their 1st gen didn't have the slot/hole combo, they made that change in 2nd G to use their pulley holder tool.

I would imagine this is the 168mm (inner measurement) pulley that they used to sell.

If the pulley rattles, I would not put it on the car. A rattle is a sign of something not balanced inside. Take it apart and check for a loose piece and put it back together. Use red threadlock on the allen bolts. Shake it to make sure it is not making the noise anymore.

I can get you a new bearing if you need one, and possibly find a water pump pulley that will work with that sized combo.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.

Damn.
I bet that Evosport crank pulley is just fine....mail it to me and I'll be glad to check it out for you and mail it back....no charge - I'll even install it on my ride and tell how much boost it makes compared to the 185mm.

Get a new WP pulley - inexpensive enough - EC - ASP - EvS - they will all work...

The crank bolt has had the collar machined down to fit inside the inner hub. Measure to ensure it hasn't been stretched...if you buy a new one - you will have to have it turned down before you can use it.. (I do think that it was used when Erick tested that pulley - but then again, you did pay a used pulley price for the setup - IMHO)

Sh*t can that little idler pulley and keep your OEM idler installed and buy a Gates K081153 belt (around $35)..saves you money on wrap kit...and from damaging your water pump housing....

Last edited by BrianBrave; 08-11-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:03 AM

I'd like to start off by saying I am not going to point fingers or expect any help at this point in the game (but getting some help already has indeed been nice ). I did buy this kit 2.5 years ago, and opening up the box just last week is 100% my fault for not being proactive about it when the box and its contents were originally shipped to me back in early 2008.

I've read posts that show that Erick was an honest guy that ran a good company, and I fully believe that at the time had I complained, I would have gotten a full refund or the correct parts I had actually thought I ordered.

With that said, I am still reeling from the sting of what's actually occurred. I take full responsibility, but that surely doesn't lessen the sting of basically losing $700.

Final thought: At the time when I made the deal, I thought I was buying a 181 pulley kit and allowing Erick to swap out the 181 pulley for the customer returned 178.

I fully expected to get all new stuff and a barely used 178 LET pulley (as he promised), not all used stuff and a 168 EvoSport pulley that is possibly damaged.

That's just wrong.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 AM

pelked,
I just noticed that you are in Seattle... I am just west of Portland. If you want to bring that kit down, we can check out the pulley... if you get a new crank bolt and need it turned, I can do that for you. I would be glad to help if I can.....

Old 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I measured the inside diameter, and it is 168mm just like loungn14 said it would be which pegs it at an early EvoSport pulley.

MikeR, thanks for the offer to give me a hand!

I think I am going to take BrianBrave's offer and send him the pulley and have him give it an experienced look. I would like to think it's at least a pulley that I can use, even though it will only give a moderate boost over stock. I would actually be okay with that.

As far as the clicking sound goes, I wanted to take it apart and see what it was. I started to loosen the 3 allen head bolts on the backside that holds the two pulley halves together, and when I started taking the last one off I could tell the two halves were spring loaded together or something. Since I don't know what's inside there, I stopped before it came apart in a way that I couldn't figure out to get back together.

Brian - Are you still up for giving my pulley a once over?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

either miker or brianbrave is a solid choice! miker is just a stones throw away and has the ability to make what you need. he has helped me in the past at no cost. both are top shelf members here. you cant go wrong with either guy!!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Brian - Are you still up for giving my pulley a once over?
I'll send you a PM... Just send the crank pulley, WP pulley & crank bolt..