Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Possible new supplier for supercharger pulley...what do you guys think?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new supplier for supercharger pulley...what do you guys think?

Have a C32, but i know you guys have the same engine as well as supercharger, any feedback would be great!

Alright here is the deal:

I have found it a bit astonishing that a smaller supercharger pulley for the C32's is so hard to come by with the only manufacturer being Code 3 and they are apparently out of business/on hiatus ( new to site for most part and cant really seem to tell which one it is) Obviously they were on to something.

I was thinking of having my stock pulley machined down and modified etc to become a smaller pulley for my S/C. Upon tossing the idea around my dad mentioned a guy to me who he works with that builds some parts for a company he works for on the side. I have been in contact with the owner of that company for the last week tossing the idea around of having them design/ build a smaller supercharger pulley for the C32/SRT-6. They will be using my car as a test car, but the guy would like to make a batch of them as opposed to a one off (more cost effective and less damage to my wallet)

He asked if I thought there would be a market for the pulleys. I believe there would be but i figured I would ask the forums, what better place right, to see what you guys thought of the idea of having a possible new manufacturer for a smaller supercharger pulley for our cars. As well as what price range would be considerable for this part( I have no idea what Code 3 was asking for their pulley, if some one could let me know at least they would have an idea to base it off of)

They mostly deal with VW and BMW parts but the guy was interested in the MB aspect, their work is quality I have seen some of the parts myself ( my dad powder coats some of their stuff).

If you guys think there would be a market for this please let me know, or if interested in a pulley let me know, They would like to make a batch of 20 for the first run and see how they sell. I figured I would test the waters and see if it is a possibility.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Default Re: Possible new supplier for supercharger pulley..what do you guys think?

Based on the cost of a unit. (I would be in)

Originally Posted by southernwake
Have a C32, but i know you guys have the same engine as well as supercharger, any feedback would be great!

Alright here is the deal:

I have found it a bit astonishing that a smaller supercharger pulley for the C32's is so hard to come by with the only manufacturer being Code 3 and they are apparently out of business/on hiatus ( new to site for most part and cant really seem to tell which one it is) Obviously they were on to something.

I was thinking of having my stock pulley machined down and modified etc to become a smaller pulley for my S/C. Upon tossing the idea around my dad mentioned a guy to me who he works with that builds some parts for a company he works for on the side. I have been in contact with the owner of that company for the last week tossing the idea around of having them design/ build a smaller supercharger pulley for the C32/SRT-6. They will be using my car as a test car, but the guy would like to make a batch of them as opposed to a one off (more cost effective and less damage to my wallet)

He asked if I thought there would be a market for the pulleys. I believe there would be but i figured I would ask the forums, what better place right, to see what you guys thought of the idea of having a possible new manufacturer for a smaller supercharger pulley for our cars. As well as what price range would be considerable for this part( I have no idea what Code 3 was asking for their pulley, if some one could let me know at least they would have an idea to base it off of)

They mostly deal with VW and BMW parts but the guy was interested in the MB aspect, their work is quality I have seen some of the parts myself ( my dad powder coats some of their stuff).

If you guys think there would be a market for this please let me know, or if interested in a pulley let me know, They would like to make a batch of 20 for the first run and see how they sell. I figured I would test the waters and see if it is a possibility.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 11-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Possible new supplier for supercharger pulley..what do you guys think?

The average price for the Code 3 pulley was anywhere between $600 - $700, they had a one of sale of $350 I think it was, thats the price I got mine for, after that they never made anymore!

On a side note, if this guy is willing to create a new pulley from scratch why dont you consider "improving" on the Code 3 desgin? that way even people who own a Code 3 might consider upgrading.

The Code 3 was very similar to the 178 crank pulley in power wise, why doesnt he make a even smaller s/c pulley to match say the 181 or dare I say the 185 for power? now that would be interesting.

Goodluck with it all.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

new pulleys run 650$ and used a consistent 450$ . the issue with making a smaller than c3 pulley is going to be belt slippage. the c3 pulley is 65 mm and most who have it have seen belt slip over 18psi. to equal a 181 or bigger will be very hard to do.
theres a member on mbworld who machined his oem down to 69mm for about 60$. he seems very happy with it.

remember the pulley isnt just a metal piece. it has springs and a magnetic backing plate to engage the s/c. in very small quantities it may get expensive to produce. good luck!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Possible new supplier for supercharger pulley...what do you guys think?

Or if you could figure out a way to machine the pulley then supply/or install new rivets so people could re-use their stock friction plate and springs. Might save on cost. 64mm for me please!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Default Re: Possible new supplier for supercharger pulley...what do you guys think?

I would be in (based on cost as all) would not mind mod'ding current one or would love a revamped Vers with 181 or 185 power! Minus the slip!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Forum Regular

It's easy to make a belt wrap system in many different ways, I added a smooth pulley above my altenator it's just perfect and I get no belt slip what so ever, so if I added say a smaller supercharger pulley i'd just increase thr size of my belt wrap pulley and all would be fine

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM

If it were a tested and proven product similar to the results of the code3, I would pay $450. I have been looking for a code3 for months, like many other forum member.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 AM

Mark me down the same way - I would definitely pay $450 for one that was of proven quality. I've been looking for a code3 since July with no success.

EDIT: I forgot to mention - something similar in size to the 65MM code3 pulley is what I would be looking for.

Last edited by jonnyb; 11-13-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:38 PM

Count Me in also. I $450 would be a price I would go for.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That would be cool, I thing it would sell very well.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by kolevski
It's easy to make a belt wrap system in many different ways, I added a smooth pulley above my altenator it's just perfect and I get no belt slip what so ever, so if I added say a smaller supercharger pulley i'd just increase thr size of my belt wrap pulley and all would be fine
at 65mm there isnt alot of belt slippage . going equal to 181 or 185 would put you in 50 to 55mm range and you wouldnt be able to get much more than say 65% belt wrap due to belt configuration. pulleys spinning that fast are going to slip

Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from Thumper SRT's older thread.

So for a stock 155mm pulley, S/C pulley would need to be reduced to
64.4mm to equal the boost of 178mm Crank Pulley running @ 6,200 Engine RPM (155mm/2.4054 = 64.4mm)
63.4mm to equal the boost of 181mm Crank Pulley running @ 6,200 Engine RPM (155mm/2.4459 = 63.4mm)
62.0mm to equal the boost of 185mm Crank Pulley running @ 6,200 Engine RPM (155mm/2.5000 = 62.0mm)

Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 PM

I am seeing some interest as well as some very valid points being brought up. I am going to have him look at my car in a couple weeks( I live 3 hours away) since he has never really messed with mercedes I have had to send him pictures of the pulley to give him a rough idea of the scope of work I was asking for. Once he and I are able to sit down and look at it and get a better idea of what we can do this will determine if what will be made will be the entire clutch/pulley assembly or just a pulley that can be riveted back on as someone suggested. There will be quite a good amount of time being invested just in the research part of this by both he and I, I am looking to have a quality part made especially since I am having this installed on my car as well and my car will be the one it is tested on. If we are able to just produce the pulley price would be significantly lower...if it is even possible to do that.

The biggest issue right now is interest in this part being made, if there isnt any interest then obviously I will not waste his time or mine in trying to make several units if they arent going to sell. He wasnt sure where to even start at price point nor was I since I have not been able to find a comparison. My goal is to have a supplier for a smaller pulley (possibly different sizes as well) for our cars that is a quality piece at a reasonable price.

If you are interested please PM me, I am going to contact him tomorrow and discuss a possible price point that I can come back here and share with you guys that way you have a better idea of what you are looking at. If I can get around 20 people interested he said he would have no problem producing the unit since it will be a cost effective way for him to test a new market. I am just trying to get a feel for the interest in something like this, I would love for this to become more than just an idea that was tossed around the room.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Just wanted to update everyone.

I have been getting some responses in regards to the pulley. I have about 6 people so far from this site alone interested in the pulley. I am having some issues on one of the Mercedes forums, the admins feel it is a group buy thread and needs approval so they deleted the thread ( I have 4 interested in in there before my thread was pulled).

Just wanted to update everyone to let you all know that this is not a flash in the pan idea, I am still pursuing this just waiting to get some more interest in it before I turn my car over to testing.

If you are interested please PM me I will respond to your PM to let you know that I have it and have marked you down as a person interested in this.

Thanks again!,
Andrew

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Forum Regular

If he makes one around 60mm I'd also be interested.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 AM

just bumping this to the top. This project IS NOT DEAD!! I am still trying to get some more people together to make this happen. I just wanted to touch base with everyone who has shown interest in this and let you know I am still pursuing this.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Hmmm...

I'm curious. When I put my Code 3 pulley on, it didn't look like there was much meat to be shaved off of it in order to make the pulley smaller. If the original Code 3 is 65mm, then trimming it down to 63 or 62mm might not be possible while still maintaining good structural integrity and deep enough grooves for good grip.

Also, I think you would get a lot more interest if you produce a pulley that will provide more boost than the Code 3. I would be tempted to get something like a 62mm pulley, if it were possible. But I'm sure anything smaller than 65mm would sell better than 65mm, because you'd get some of the guys that have Code 3 pullies.

Lastly, so very much of this will depend on price. The guys above quoting $450 are a bit unreasonable in my book. But if you can do it for that price, by all means, do it!

If you do produce a 62mm pulley, someone better tell Rob and NeedsWings to stock up on his pulley saver kit!

Anyway, I'd want to hear some prices thrown around before I put in an order.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 PM

GREAT IDEA,
Count me in...
Mike

Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm still interested if the price is right

Quick Reply: Possible new supplier for supercharger pulley...what do you guys think?