Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

My New Custom Wheel with Paddle shift

Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: My New Custom Wheel with Paddle shift

Very cool Jim. I hope you will give more info. Can I do this with my SLK wheel? or need an R class wheel?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking around on the net I've found these for the R-class

I don't see one that looks like yours, did you have it redone? I ask because they ether have the bumps and contours like yours but no silver trim on the bottom spokes or they look more like yours but with a plain outer ring with no thumb bumps. Also none come without the controls so you had them covered?
You did a great job! and I can understand if you want to keep your info to yourself but many of us on here would probably like to do this as well someday. I myself would do it for the ability to shift by paddles . Again you did a great job on this! Maybe a how to...?

-thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I started with an R class wheel, like the second picture. you dont need this style wheel. I chose this cause I liked the look..I had the outside redone in the DTM style $$$. I made custom parts to replace the buttons, thats where I hid the wireless remote. Also, I custom fit the paddles, cause it came with the button style shifters. I had to cut out the holes to fit them in. It was a decent amount of work I put into it. For the shifter, you need to completely disassemble the unit and wire in a momentary switch to the shift contacts. The shifter was a pain to take a part! All I can say is take your time with it. Thats pretty much it, I dont know if this could be done with the stock wheel , I will check mine out to see if there is room to make cutouts for the paddles. Also there is a difference in the air bags from the 2004 to mid 05-06. the 04/06 use a single connector setup and the 06ish to 08 use the new M.B. 2 connector set up so I would pull your wheel first to see what you have.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
I started with an R class wheel, like the second picture. you dont need this style wheel. I chose this cause I liked the look..I had the outside redone in the DTM style $$$. I made custom parts to replace the buttons, thats where I hid the wireless remote. Also, I custom fit the paddles, cause it came with the button style shifters. I had to cut out the holes to fit them in. It was a decent amount of work I put into it. For the shifter, you need to completely disassemble the unit and wire in a momentary switch to the shift contacts. The shifter was a pain to take a part! All I can say is take your time with it. Thats pretty much it, I dont know if this could be done with the stock wheel , I will check mine out to see if there is room to make cutouts for the paddles. Also there is a difference in the air bags from the 2004 to mid 05-06. the 04/06 use a single connector setup and the 06ish to 08 use the new M.B. 2 connector set up so I would pull your wheel first to see what you have.
Thanks for the response, roughly what size is the wireless remote? 1 or 2 of them? and what car did you get the paddles/remote(s)/momentary switch out of?

Is your new wheel close in size to the old one?

-thanks

BTW good choice on the re-wrap! Looks so good!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by LowKeyPerformance
Thanks for the response, roughly what size is the wireless remote? 1 or 2 of them? and what car did you get the paddles/remote(s)/momentary switch out of?

Is your new wheel close in size to the old one?

-thanks

BTW good choice on the re-wrap! Looks so good!
Thanks!, the remote was small, a little smaller than a remote for a car alarm,and the momentary switch is a small relay circuit. they came as a set, not from a car. as for the paddles they are from and used on M.Benz sport steering wheels.
The diameter of the steering wheel is a little smaller than the stocker now.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM

I would like this mod over anything I have found for my SRT, but I am lost.
What is the brand name or model number for the shifter and the remote?
What would be needed to actually make this happen (parts wise).
The steering wheel seems irrelavent the problem lies in the paddles where does one find them along with the sending unit.
I have found paddle kits that work with for instance small block chevy but not for the M/B set up.

Last edited by Montana Crossfire; 06-01-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Montana Crossfire
I would like this mod over anything I have found for my SRT, but I am lost.
What is the brand name or model number for the shifter and the remote?
What would be needed to actually make this happen (parts wise).
The steering wheel seems irrelavent the problem lies in the paddles where does one find them along with the sending unit.
I have found paddle kits that work for for instance small block chevy but not for the M/B set up.
Here is a setup that could work 2CH RF Wireless Remote Control Momentary/Toggle/Latch C - eBay (item 230384429571 end time Jun-25-11 22:41:33 PDT)
you would need to take apart the remote and solder in the paddles, then you need to hard wire the relay into the shifter. 1 channel for each paddle

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Like he said, I am lost....lol.....you the man, Jimmy....

Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Like he said, I am lost....lol.....you the man, Jimmy....
Thanks Doc!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the link Jimmy, great job!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I previously looked around for instructions on this and found none. So I did it and here is the how to. This DIY is not for the timid, and probably far more trouble than it is worth .... but this will get you there.

NOTE: This is primarily a work-around for cars without factory installed paddle shifters (and their wires) and should work for any model.

Background :
SO, there I was,, I had my (2002 slk32) shifter apart for another reason and noticed how simple it would be to tap into the up and down functions (so I added the wires while I had it apart). Shortly after, I was talking with Rob @ needswings about something else and this topic came up. He told me some guys on the crossfire forum had done this, so I went looking there. It seems that a few had been done, but they were switching to paddle shift equipped wheels and then using a small remote transmitter (as there are too few available circuits in the clockspring).

Having an extra steering wheel (and a basic understanding of digital and analog electronics) I decided to do this in my SLK32 with the stock wheel (without the wireless interface) using the AMG aluminum paddles.

the part number for the switches is 1712670046. This is for a set (right and left) $99 at parts.com
(I opted to install 8-32 helicoils in mine ....)

WARNING:
DON'T turn your car on with the airbag unplugged (this will cause your SRS system to require a dealer reset)

Sorry, I did not take pics of the floor shifter dis-assy. I would strongly recommend starting there. This part is not rocket science, but it takes patience.

Here are some pics of the switch install and the schematic for the module I made (which allows multiple signals on the horn wire) . I put the module under the dash, but it would probably be easier to install next to the K40 relay assy (where the horn wire is easier to find).

Edit 8-26-11 ...
1) I will be making this kit (module and all required wiring) available as a mostly plug-n-play upgrade ... available soon with install instructions
2) updated the helicoil call out i used an 8-32
3) JimmySkullz was kind enough to verify for me (using an MBZ star tester) that using the paddles will NOT throw any codes (even if you are not in "D" when you use them). Thanks Jim!
4) schematic did not translate well to jpg; will try to fix that and repost at some later date

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0712111235.jpg (27.7 KB, 169 views)
0712111235a.jpg (25.5 KB, 167 views)
0712111630.jpg (46.0 KB, 141 views)
0727111312.jpg (25.5 KB, 141 views)
0810110953.jpg (40.1 KB, 176 views)
0822110915.jpg (39.1 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-26-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Very Nice! Ill have to upgrade mine so I wont be wireless..

Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

me want!!!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Forum Regular

Very Nice! Ill have to upgrade mine so I wont be wireless..
Jim,
another approach you may want to consider (since you already have the remote transmitter and receiver in place) is running your remote transmitter off of the power available on the hot side of the horn switch. There you will find 12v (70 ohms or so away from battery voltage via the horn relay) which through careful selection of a 5 cent component or 2 should be able to power your transmitter without effecting horn operation.

Just a thought.

Chris

Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM

I was wondering if I could us my transmitter after I saw your post, I was just unsure what components would be needed.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular

I was wondering if I could us my transmitter after I saw your post, I was just unsure what components would be needed.
Jim,

the schematic I attached to my original post is for a module that would eliminate your remote receiver (the part under the dash that connects to your floor shifter in your set up). Also, in the lower right corner of the schematic is the wiring changes that would take place within your steering wheel (replacing your transmitter with a couple of resistors that tie the paddle switches to the horn line).

However, if you find that your remote set-up shifts quickly and reliably (as indicated by the gear indicator on the lcd of the instrument cluster), then you probably have little reason to change your set-up ....

additionally, if you want to keep your set-up ( but get rid of the battery in the remote) ... you can source its power from the horn wire (as i suggested in my response to you).

In any case, feel free to ask for clarification or more information.
Chris

Old 08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular

Here are a couple more pics for anyone who wants to chop up the stock wheel. I suspect the crossfire wheel is similar to the slk32 wheel in internal structure. All that was cut for this mod was some of the rubber and leather and a small (0.210") hole for the screw, so structure was not measurably compromised.

Attached Images
0712111235b.jpg (34.3 KB, 124 views)
0712111227.jpg (26.9 KB, 121 views)
0713111802.jpg (42.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 08-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

latemodel21,

So let me clarify for myself and others.

The basic principle here is to use the horn 12VDC+ line as a signal wire to interface with your module, correct?

Also, the part number "1712670046" that you gave for parts.com in the OEM Catalog for Mercedes-Benz is a set of Aluminum Paddle Shift Switches?

As to the module you built, can we get a parts schedule for that as well?

I really like the clean look and the elimination of the wireless setup. Excellent job!

MMZ>TimeLord

Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Jim,

the schematic I attached to my original post is for a module that would eliminate your remote receiver (the part under the dash that connects to your floor shifter in your set up). Also, in the lower right corner of the schematic is the wiring changes that would take place within your steering wheel (replacing your transmitter with a couple of resistors that tie the paddle switches to the horn line).

However, if you find that your remote set-up shifts quickly and reliably (as indicated by the gear indicator on the lcd of the instrument cluster), then you probably have little reason to change your set-up ....

additionally, if you want to keep your set-up ( but get rid of the battery in the remote) ... you can source its power from the horn wire (as i suggested in my response to you).

In any case, feel free to ask for clarification or more information.
Chris
Yea mine shifts perfect, no lag. I would like to eliminate the battery, thats what I was unsure about. I didnt know exactly what was the right way to go about it.(using the horn 12v line) That was my original plan but I didnt want to experement and damage anything.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, 1712670046 is the part number for the aluminum paddle switch assemblies (set, right and left) that i used (and are in one of my pictures)

Last edited by latemodel21; 09-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: My New Custom Wheel with Paddle shift