Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??

Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??

Anyone else see this?
New Aftermarket Supercharger Pulley for Mercedes SLK32 SRT-6 C32 AMG | eBay

Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??

I thought that less then 65mm would spin the rpm's on the supercharger too high?
If not that might add a nice little bit of power, but not for me at $1000

Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just saw it too and was thinking man i know i dont go on the forum very often but thought i would have seen this! i have to agree way too expense, hell i was on the fence shelling out 500 for the one from EC but did.

as for the rpm problem i do not know however i do know there were concerns about the longterm durability of something smaller than the 65mm. i believe several people have had there pulleys milled down below 65mm to low 60's

Last edited by jsaredwings; 06-07-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaredwings
i just saw it too and was thinking man i know i dont go on the forum very often but thought i would have seen this! i have to agree way too expense, hell i was on the fence shelling out 500 for one but did.

as for the rpm problem i do not know however i do know there were concerns about the longterm durability of something smaller. i believe several people have had there pulleys milled down below 65mm to low 60's
I thought it would be not enough to mill down after 64mm as the material walls would be too fragile. Just what I heard on this forum and that was one of the causes EC did not lower the mm. I guess 64.7mm is good enough for me. Also 1000$ for something you really do not have any warranty nor history on ? Not my cup of tea. But hey, go for it

Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by FUBU
I thought it would be not enough to mill down after 64mm as the material walls would be too fragile. Just what I heard on this forum and that was one of the causes EC did not lower the mm. I guess 64.7mm is good enough for me. Also 1000$ for something you really do not have any warranty nor history on ? Not my cup of tea. But hey, go for it
You could technically go lower than 64mm, but it wouldn't be from turning down the current design. It would involve a new design, which had a new, smaller bearing which could still maintain the high RPMs of the supercharger while at the same time being smaller in diameter around the input shaft of the supercharger.

So it is technically possible, but with this engine no longer in production and most companies switching to turbo setups, seems like it will not be something that would ever come to fruition.

Heck, even EC said that once the second batch of S/C pullies is gone, they will not be producing or selling any more of them.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
You could technically go lower than 64mm, but it wouldn't be from turning down the current design. It would involve a new design, which had a new, smaller bearing which could still maintain the high RPMs of the supercharger while at the same time being smaller in diameter around the input shaft of the supercharger.

So it is technically possible, but with this engine no longer in production and most companies switching to turbo setups, seems like it will not be something that would ever come to fruition.

Heck, even EC said that once the second batch of S/C pullies is gone, they will not be producing or selling any more of them.
Thank god I am getting one from batch 2 I would assume next week.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
This bearing is only spinning from idle to about 2.5K rpms max. When your charger engages it is no longer spinning.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Not that I want to hijack but - very good point - is that 2500 SC rpm or 2500 crank rpm?

I thoguht the charger was always engaged when you were in gear, but not in Park unless greater than a certain rpm.?
I thgouht that was the beuaty of the SC over the Turbo - no lag...what you are descibing would "lead to a lag" - pardon the pun.

I have an SLK230 and I recall something around this clutch logic.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm actually in the process of testing one out and will report back with it after I've put some miles on the car with it on.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

GTFO....this would be great.....but $1K ???

Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
I'm actually in the process of testing one out and will report back with it after I've put some miles on the car with it on.
Subscribing for Rudy's results!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The ebay pulley must be EC's manufacturer trying to make a little money on the sly.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by grip grip
The ebay pulley must be EC's manufacturer trying to make a little money on the sly.
Not the case Anthony.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
Not the case Anthony.

Okay, good.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't wait to see your results Rudy.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I contacted the seller with a few technical questions about how they made this new pulley, and he responded with more info. than I expected. Here is the response I received:

"The 65mm pulleys have thickness issue inherited from its original form; the OEM. It is essentially an OEM pulley with modified grooves. Not a whole lot of engineering going on. The 65mm has a wall thickness of 2mm and can't go any thinner. The Karmen pulley is a new born. It only uses the OEM as a reference for fitment. It is designed to use smaller bearing ***** for increased speed and with smaller bearing outer diameter. This leaves the wall with plenty of thickness to work with. The inner bore of the Karmen pulley is 47mm and the outer diameter is 62mm. In radius they are 23.5mm and thickness is 31-3-23.5=4.5mm.
Problem Solved. The idea here is simple. To make the pulley smaller, we just have to reduce the inner diameter! There is also an issue with bearing speed. The original bearing has a higher load rating but limited speed. Smaller ball bearing has higher speed rating. The bigger the bearing, the lower the RPM at the same distant traveled.
Warping and Wobbling: The Karmen pulley doesn't cut corners by using AC compressor clutch plates that are in production to cut cost. These AC compressor clutch plates(armatures)have a strong tendency to warp and cause wobbling or rubbing against the magnetic clutch.
The Karmen pulley is made in the USA."

That said; I'm also looking forward to Rudy's findings.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I contacted the seller with a few technical questions about how they made this new pulley, and he responded with more info. than I expected. Here is the response I received:

"The 65mm pulleys have thickness issue inherited from its original form; the OEM. It is essentially an OEM pulley with modified grooves. Not a whole lot of engineering going on. The 65mm has a wall thickness of 2mm and can't go any thinner. The Karmen pulley is a new born. It only uses the OEM as a reference for fitment. It is designed to use smaller bearing ***** for increased speed and with smaller bearing outer diameter. This leaves the wall with plenty of thickness to work with. The inner bore of the Karmen pulley is 47mm and the outer diameter is 62mm. In radius they are 23.5mm and thickness is 31-3-23.5=4.5mm.
Problem Solved. The idea here is simple. To make the pulley smaller, we just have to reduce the inner diameter! There is also an issue with bearing speed. The original bearing has a higher load rating but limited speed. Smaller ball bearing has higher speed rating. The bigger the bearing, the lower the RPM at the same distant traveled.
Warping and Wobbling: The Karmen pulley doesn't cut corners by using AC compressor clutch plates that are in production to cut cost. These AC compressor clutch plates(armatures)have a strong tendency to warp and cause wobbling or rubbing against the magnetic clutch.
The Karmen pulley is made in the USA."

That said; I'm also looking forward to Rudy's findings.
It says in your sig that you have the v2 ec sc. Have you installed it? All issues gone i hope

Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
It says in your sig that you have the v2 ec sc. Have you installed it? All issues gone i hope
It should hopefully arrive this coming Tuesday. Will report after install and a few good runs.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seller sent me the same info as above, Im trying to work a deal on one now

Old 06-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Anyone bought this?

Quick Reply: SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??