Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Wings: NA v. SRT

Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Wings: NA v. SRT

Originally Posted by chuK_138
Anybody notice it's the majority of Limited owners that don't appreciate "OUR" awesome wing? All this hating of the SRT wing, in the SRT subforum, by mostly non-SRT owners. Haters will always hate, but they can all stare at my tail lights.........
Well, it may be the SRT subforum but it's not like non-SRT owners aren't allowed to post in here. Besides, the discussion is a comparison of the two wings, so we figured some input from those who have the NA wing was appropriate.

And, yes, we know that the SRT is faster. We just don't really care all that much. There's always somebody faster.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Well, it may be the SRT subforum but it's not like non-SRT owners aren't allowed to post in here. Besides, the discussion is a comparison of the two wings, so we figured some input from those who have the NA wing was appropriate.

And, yes, we know that the SRT is faster. We just don't really care all that much. There's always somebody faster.
Agreed.

This may come as a shock to some, but despite the SRT being faster, I actually miss my white one quite often. It was simply more "involving" to drive. My SRT is a missile, don't get me wrong. But I never got bored driving the white one, wringing out each gear. Can't say the same for my current one.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Should a made the supercharged with a stick for sure. When I started looking for a car, my middle boy said..Dad, it has to be a 2 door and it has to have a stick! No offence to the auto pilots..cuz frankly I don't know how to drive an automatic: 2004 6spd Coupe Annnd.....Lovinging it!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drawbar
Yep. Should a made the supercharged with a stick for sure. When I started looking for a car, my middle boy said..Dad, it has to be a 2 door and it has to have a stick! No offence to the auto pilots..cuz frankly I don't know how to drive an automatic: 2004 6spd Coupe Annnd.....Lovinging it!
You probably wouldn't enjoy driving the SRT6 then

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Well.....I didn't Exactly say that..but on the topic of wings...I'm kinda childish too and like the one that deploys

Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 586 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Agreed.

This may come as a shock to some, but despite the SRT being faster, I actually miss my white one quite often. It was simply more "involving" to drive. My SRT is a missile, don't get me wrong. But I never got bored driving the white one, wringing out each gear. Can't say the same for my current one.
I miss my black 6 speed NA at times, I had it from new and it was my baby so to speak. Any marks on it were my marks etc. The SRT has taken a while to get endeared to but I have managed to I am glad to say. When I feel like I'm missing the gear box I just stomp my right foot a little and remember why I got the car.

But I really liked the NA.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I miss my black 6 speed NA at times, I had it from new and it was my baby so to speak. Any marks on it were my marks etc. The SRT has taken a while to get endeared to but I have managed to I am glad to say. When I feel like I'm missing the gear box I just stomp my right foot a little and remember why I got the car.

But I really liked the NA.
It really is a weird feeling. Kinda like a woman -- you ended up with the supermodel that moves FAST, but occasionally you miss the humble "good girl" from the past. While waxing philosophical about the dates at the malt shop, the supermodel walks in wearing black lace. And then you snap out of it, realizing the supermodel keeps your wing deployed at all times

Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 AM

It really is a weird feeling. Kinda like a woman -- you ended up with the supermodel that moves FAST, but occasionally you miss the humble "good girl" from the past. While waxing philosophical about the dates at the malt shop, the supermodel walks in wearing black lace. And then you snap out of it, realizing the supermodel keeps your wing deployed at all times
Not all supermodels...Some may have been genetically altered.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertFattal
A lot of you may think I'm crazy, however I would have LOVED a mechanically operating SRT spoiler, as opposed to it being fixed.

We strongly agree! We loved and really miss the deployable spoiler that was on our first Crossfire. That servomotor whine was sweet... and the car looked better.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mary Ann
We strongly agree! We loved and really miss the deployable spoiler that was on our first Crossfire. That servomotor whine was sweet... and the car looked better.
Well make it happen. I have a SRT with the N/A wing.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Is the wiring there on the SRT? If that's the case all we need to do is find an Aero Blue Limited owner interested in a swap.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mary Ann
Is the wiring there on the SRT? If that's the case all we need to do is find an Aero Blue Limited owner interested in a swap.
There might be an unused harness, but you will need to swap the BCM as well. Also, a switch would need to be added.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I dont know but an srt6 might be able to out accelerate the NA wing. Nothing major but an alarm sounds when you reach a certain speed before the wing is fully deployed. Its a good feeling go baby go!

Maybe something that should be researched and tested time and time again!

Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Beaner
I dont know but an srt6 might be able to out accelerate the NA wing. Nothing major but an alarm sounds when you reach a certain speed before the wing is fully deployed. Its a good feeling go baby go!

Maybe something that should be researched and tested time and time again!
A very real possibility, this. Let's test this at the Dragon. See you in a couple months!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 PM

I have had the N/A bcm, wiring is needed to be done, buttons in cockpit, and it is not to be done for the fainthearted. Nevertheless, a simple manual switch, power from battery with fuse and you can manually deploy the wing when you are about to race above 60.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.

John, you need to get Steves paddle shifter kit if it will fit that awsome wheel.. A fairly good alternative and plenty of involvement learning to shift on an tight road course. When you get a really deep turn and the left side down shift becomes the right side downshift and you do it with out having to think it out. For me it has been tons of fun. It was great training for driving the 458 Itialia on the road course at Charlotte.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 538 Likes on 366 Posts

Agreed.

This willbe the coming delimma for me. Cathy and I will be going down to one crossfire this fall. The Solomon decision is which one goes.

Driving her SRT is boring unless you want to attract attention. i would miss the 30 MPG and rowing my own gears. But having a 12 second car underfoot when Shamus pulls along side with his Mustang all covered in Performance stickers,,,,.priceless!

As to the wing deployment, I doubt the SRT would accelerate faster than the wing deploys. Let us hope you can do a scientific study at the Dragon.

Seems this issue gets guys hotter than politics. Be careful how you analize and report the data.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like we can agree on something else here.. it's not the size, but the angle it ends up at

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bigkid
John, you need to get Steves paddle shifter kit if it will fit that awsome wheel.. A fairly good alternative and plenty of involvement learning to shift on an tight road course. When you get a really deep turn and the left side down shift becomes the right side downshift and you do it with out having to think it out. For me it has been tons of fun. It was great training for driving the 458 Itialia on the road course at Charlotte.
I think Steve is letting the shifters go when he sells his car... the kit is only $300 new, and it takes~6 hours to install properly. Same for the uninstall.... But that's definitely on my list of mods budgeted over the next year. I have a rolling spreadsheet, listing everything out. The "left down, right up" is second nature to me anyways as that's the control setup I have when I race on GT5... So even though that's a sim, the same motor memory takes place. It's a no-brainer for me, because that allows me to keep hands at 9-and-3, without having to drop a hand to bump the shifter lever.

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
This will be the coming dilemma for m. Cathy and I will be going down to one crossfire this fall. The Solomon decision is which one goes.

Driving her SRT is boring unless you want to attract attention. i would miss the 30 MPG and rowing my own gears. But having a 12 second car underfoot when Shamus pulls along side with his Mustang all covered in Performance stickers.

As to the wing deployment, I doubt the SRT would accelerate faster than the wing deploys. Let us hope you can do a scientific study at the Dragon.

Seems this issue gets guys hotter than politics. Be careful how you analize and report the data.
Your famous tag-line was "roadster with a stick" for crying out loud... I think the choice is quite obvious.

Kim and I are looking forward to seeing you two this year, we've missed you guys. Kim still laughs about your tumble at the 2010 Dragon... fun times.

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Looks like we can agree on something else here.. it's not the size, but the angle it ends up at
Hahaha well-put

Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 PM

This has been a great thread to read. When I first started it I was interested in the difference in wing performance and how it affects drag at all speeds. The problem is that I forgot about the front splitter and how it works w/the wing. Since the wing is SOOO BIG, it is only natural to fixate on it and forget about the splitter-front air dam where the flow of air first contacts the car. Also, I think when people here have been comparing the NA v SRT there were other changes to the car that were not as obvious were forgotten. Just as important as the wing; steering, roll, springs, engine, etc that make the two cars different. From what I read the SRT was produced to address some of the complaints about shortcomings of the NA. They are really two different cars. All cars have shortcomings, and they do not neccessarily detract from the car, but are part of the personality of the car. Viva la difference! When someone modifies the suspension, tires, shocks, to customize the car, they are changing the personality of the car (putting different clothing on the supermodel) to make to the XF even more appealing to them. I have purchased cars that have been modified, and not always agreed w/the new personality. I see it all the time. Remember the puke green Ford Maverick w/the wing on the back? I might hate it, but that is that person's idea of beauty and performance. That's what I like about cars, they can be such a personal expression of ourselves. Old classic cars, not so old, not so classic, expressions of personality. I just love that everyone can enjoy their idea of personality and creativity expressed in their cars. I told my wife the other day that I'm very happy w/my stable of cars and don't want to change for a very long time. I have an 2010 Mazda CX9, 05 XF SRT6 and 1972 Datsun 240Z. That is my expression. Different, but love all of them.