Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Coolant leak

Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 563 Likes on 473 Posts
Default Coolant leak

My coolant level seems to drop a little after each drive, it was a bit low when I got the car and i noticed it had dropped a lot more just recently, about 1".

I filled the tank up to the top of the tab and drove some more, about 30 miles. I checked it and found it had dropped about an 1/8", topped it up again and did the same trip and it dropped about 1/16".

No leaks are apparent and it made me think of the IC problems with leaks. I dread leaks into the engine, I will get the oil tested at Blackstone to rule that out.

Maybe I should take off the IMs and look for any signs, there are no signs of condensation or emulsion on the oil filler cap.

Anyone got some tips or hints?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Coolant leak

Originally Posted by onehundred80
My coolant level seems to drop a little after each drive, it was a bit low when I got the car and i noticed it had dropped a lot more just recently, about 1".

I filled the tank up to the top of the tab and drove some more, about 30 miles. I checked it and found it had dropped about an 1/8", topped it up again and did the same trip and it dropped about 1/16".

No leaks are apparent and it made me think of the IC problems with leaks. I dread leaks into the engine, I will get the oil tested at Blackstone to rule that out.

Maybe I should take off the IMs and look for any signs, there are no signs of condensation or emulsion on the oil filler cap.

It could be the head gasket. However, I'd certainly look for pin leaks in hoses, the radiator, etc. Have you checked all hose connections? The pitcock drain? A cracked resevoir (You'd be suprised but these plastic tanks can deteriorate).

You may need to run a pressure test. Hard to say but if you don't have ANY visible leaks or vapor areas it may well be internal.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dave, let your car idle in the driveway for a while I bet there will be a puddle under it... I am thinking it is hot and the overflow tube is working well. That whole antifreeze and water mixture just does not work as well in the heat as plain water.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by PNA
It could be the head gasket. However, I'd certainly look for pin leaks in hoses, the radiator, etc. Have you checked all hose connections? The pitcock drain? A cracked resevoir (You'd be suprised but these plastic tanks can deteriorate).

You may need to run a pressure test. Hard to say but if you don't have ANY visible leaks or vapor areas it may well be internal.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
No a drop to be seen anywhere.

Originally Posted by Beaner
Dave, let your car idle in the driveway for a while I bet there will be a puddle under it... I am thinking it is hot and the overflow tube is working well. That whole antifreeze and water mixture just does not work as well in the heat as plain water.
The overflow tube has dust inside it, dry as a chip.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the mysterious dissapearing coolent. It ended up being the intercooler under the supercharger. It was leaking and when the dealer removed the supercharger it looked like gaucamole dip. I had the oil checked by Blackstone several times/ By the third oil change there was no sign.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
I had the mysterious dissapearing coolent. It ended up being the intercooler under the supercharger. It was leaking and when the dealer removed the supercharger it looked like gaucamole dip. I had the oil checked by Blackstone several times/ By the third oil change there was no sign.

that would be my take Dave...

Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
that would be my take Dave...
Coolant down again after a drive last night. Oh! Oh!

Where is the best place to buy a new IC? I have to order it today. Not much point in stripping it down if I do not have one on hand to replace it, that's if it is the problem.

Gotta have one quick or Woodward will be out for me this year.

Up date.

There is a small puddle under the car, I cannot be sure what it is though. If it was water from the AC I would have expected it to dry up over night, 10 hours later it is still there. Mixed with dirt from the garage floor it is hard to spot any color. Rubbing it between your fingers it does not feel like water though, as it has not got that squeaky feel to it.

I noticed a dried stain on the concrete yesterday, so I looked again today and there it was. Where is it coming from? I realize it could run along the chassis but I cannot spot anything under the hood.
It is behind the engine toward the driver side and vertically under the driver windshield wiper. There is a smaller puddle 6" away toward the center of the car.

Ideas anyone?

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Dave ... sorry to hear about your problems. You might want to contact Rudy (rcompart). He might have some sources for an intercooler. He was connected with Speedriven, who are gurus for Mercedes performance. Just a suggestion .....

Have you checked your tranny fluid level? Maybe a leaking transmission connector.
Good Luck ...... Had hoped to see you and your SRT at woodward

Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put some paper down on the floor in the area of the leak. You may be able to see color and feel texture of the fluid. The tranny connector is on the passenger side -- but kind of in the center. You'd know if it was tranny fluid. AC dripping would likely be more towards the front end, however if it's coming from the AC "system" it could be further back. Look at all hosed on right side in the area starting in the front and working your way back. Hope you find it soon.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to suggest you just pull off the passenger side manifold to verify if your IC is bad. It would be obvious, green coating in there. Now with a spot on the floor I'm not so sure. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
I was going to suggest you just pull off the passenger side manifold to verify if your IC is bad. It would be obvious, green coating in there. Now with a spot on the floor I'm not so sure. Good luck!
The drops are water, I managed to spot where it is coming from. It is coming from a small slit rubber drain in the cowl, there must be some crap over the drain and it is just dripping out slowly. I washed it yesterday and it rained when I took the car out last night. Wash the car and the drought will end.

Back to square one, so I will remove the IM and look for signs.
This is not going to be cured easily. $403 for an intercooler does that seem about right from http://moparonlineparts.com/repair-p...r/intercooler/ ?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM

The drops are water, I managed to spot where it is coming from. It is coming from a small slit rubber drain in the cowl, there must be some crap over the drain and it is just dripping out slowly. I washed it yesterday and it rained when I took the car out last night. Wash the car and the drought will end.

Back to square one, so I will remove the IM and look for signs.
This is not going to be cured easily. $403 for an intercooler does that seem about right from Chrysler Repair Parts: Chrysler: Crossfire: 2006: Cooling: Intercooler: Intercooler ?
Have you tried a Mercedes source?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM

I have the passenger side IM off and it is as clean as a whistle, a little oil on the gasket and in the joint where the rubber adapter and the intake meet. I'd guess that's from the SC, oil getting past the seals there, seals have to leak or they just get ruined by lack of lubrication.

This is not looking good, maybe a leak into the engine across a head gasket? I had that once on a 4.3L GM engine and it destroyed the engine which required a rebuild from top to bottom. No signs of any vapors or emulsified oil in the filler cap or dip stick tube and the oil looks good. Need a new IM gasket now, bummer.

Car is running like a top.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-05-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bummer, now you know it is not a $700 intercooler. You can get by with the old gasket for a few days while you order a new one.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Not a bummer, now you know it is not a $700 intercooler. You can get by with the old gasket for a few days while you order a new one.
But where is this coolant going?
No sign of it anywhere, no smell in the car. I am going to do an oil analysis with Blackstone I guess. Better safe than sorry.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it turns out to be a leak in the Charge Air Cooler, I think GripGrip had an extra CAC he was wanting to unload, if he still has it. Here is a pic. of IM I bought from someone who had an obvious leak. Yuck!!
I don't know that anybody knows how long it took to actually get this bad. It could have been thousands of miles, so I wouldn't completely rule out the CAC just yet. If I had a leak though, I'd rather it be the CAC than a head gasket. It would also be a good opportunity to get it thermal coated. Good luck, I hope it's just a simple leak somewhere that was overlooked.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Separate the cooling systems and you will at least know where to start looking.

Both my SRTs have separated cooling systems so I know the issue with my coupe losing fluid isn't in the engine. Just haven't looked for the problem.
My vert smells of coolant when I first start it up. Haven't looked into that either.
I gotta get busy!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM

water on the floor means no IC leak... do you still have the plastic pan on? If so, I would remove it to help isolate the leak from above...

Old 08-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
water on the floor means no IC leak... do you still have the plastic pan on? If so, I would remove it to help isolate the leak from above...
See post #11 and all the other posts.
I'm thinking the worst right now, that it is in the engine. Failed head gasket. Always the pessimist.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 PM

Dave I will assume you have checked all the obvious, radiator, hoses, and water pump...so, it can be a head gasket, but there should a small trail where it is leaking... I know there has been some leaks in the plastic tank....as well.... good luck with the search, but at this point, I would move everything out of the way and look all around the heads...as the oil is clear I assume...so not internal..

Quick Reply: Coolant leak