Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

C6 vs. SRT-6

Old 08-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 vs. SRT-6

Well I got my automobile magazine in the mail today. There is a story about the new Corvette C6. For 45,800 (44,300 base) you can get:

OHV V-8
6.0 liters (364 cu. in.)
Aluminum block and heads
2 valves per cylinder
Compression ratio 10:9:1
18 x 8.5-in. front, 19 x 10.0-in. rear aluminum wheels
0-60 in 4.7 seconds
rear wheel drive
400 horsepower

So why for the same price would one get an SRT-6? 70 less hp, an ugly rear wing, smaller engine (kinda goes with lower hp). Sorry but reading that article makes me think the SRT-6 isn't worth the price tag. I like the looks more (even with the wing) but it's just not a close competition.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:38 AM

Autoweek isn't the only publication that has proposed that the SRT-6 is answering a question that no one asked. At $45K (or $50K for the roadster) there are a lot of other new performance car choices. Not to mention you can buy a used Viper for that kind of money.

One magazine speculated that the SRT-6 will be short lived, and, as such, will be an automotive rarity. Considering that Crossfire sales in general have been disappointing, it wouldn't be unreasonable to predict 2005 could be the last year of production for the entire Crossfire line.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:38 AM

I agree...at 45k, I will take the C6 with the z51 package. However, the srt6 (a used one) may be a good bargain...only time will tell. I have a couple more years to think about this...

the regular xfire...which is/was selling around 30k is a good vehicle for the price. The srt-6 has too much competition in that price range.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing the new C6 at the LA show it was the 1st Corvette that I liked . Mainly because they finally have 99.9% of a perfect Sport Car.Now if it drives like they all say then ,i'll concider it.I still don't like plastic cars though.And I was impressed with the XLR just not for 70k.The C6 is on the same platform just not as many gadgets.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

I'd still take the crossfire styling vs vette crappy interior, oversized clunky parts, etc. Leaf spring suspension? Give me a break. Yeah its refreshed, yeah it has more HP, but its still a vette. Plus they really haven't changed that much. Ohhh wow, they have headlights that don't pop out. Congrats. That crap went out in the 90s.

The SRT6 / AMG is more reliable, better response, better mpg. The interior styling is 100x better than the vette. The only thing the Vette has going for it is heads up display and a car that can do burnouts really well.

SRT 6 - Classy Performance and very rare
C6 - American musscle on every corner

Yeah I still hate the spoiler on the SRT6, but that can be fixed.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Banned

Well I'm waiting to drive it(VETTE) then i'll see.My fall back choice is a low milage used NSX.I really don't care for SCs for power.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
I'd still take the crossfire styling vs vette crappy interior, oversized clunky parts, etc. Leaf spring suspension? Give me a break. Yeah its refreshed, yeah it has more HP, but its still a vette. Plus they really haven't changed that much. Ohhh wow, they have headlights that don't pop out. Congrats. That crap went out in the 90s.

The SRT6 / AMG is more reliable, better response, better mpg. The interior styling is 100x better than the vette. The only thing the Vette has going for it is heads up display and a car that can do burnouts really well.

SRT 6 - Classy Performance and very rare
C6 - American musscle on every corner

Yeah I still hate the spoiler on the SRT6, but that can be fixed.
oooo, I'm curious. How would you fix the spoiler? I read an article that says it's useless if you are governed for the same top speed as the limited coupe (which makes a little sense). Also I'm looking at what you get for the money. I agree. They really didn't update the styling but everything else seems to be improved. And that's just one competitor of the SRT-6. There are others.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular

There is no rear end design change between the SRT-6 and the standard coupe. Purchasing the spoiler and assy for the SRT-6 would be an easy swap. I highly doubt they eliminated the electrical wires / connectors in the trunk area. Should be as easy as removing the fixed spoiler, installing the electronic one, hook up the connectors.

Even if they did eliminate the wires going to the back, there should still be connectors in the body control module to control the auto spoiler. You'd just need the wire harness or run your own wires. Again, not that big of a deal.

Now the switch up front would be a separate issue. You could swap out the connector pannel with the original one, which would give you a spot for the manual control of the spoiler, or you could mount the switch elsewhere, say the center console. Not like that switch has to be visiable. I only use manual deployment when I'm washing the car. Other than that, it does things on its own.

I'm guessing parts at cost would not be more than $1200. You might even be lucky enough to say swap it out with a "kid" who wants the SRT look with out all the under the hood goodies.

Maybe DCX will have a option to OPT out for the fixed spoiler. I am willing to bet 90% of the buyers don't want the fixed, and would rather have the electronic.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
There is no rear end design change between the SRT-6 and the standard coupe. Purchasing the spoiler and assy for the SRT-6 would be an easy swap. I highly doubt they eliminated the electrical wires / connectors in the trunk area. Should be as easy as removing the fixed spoiler, installing the electronic one, hook up the connectors.

Even if they did eliminate the wires going to the back, there should still be connectors in the body control module to control the auto spoiler. You'd just need the wire harness or run your own wires. Again, not that big of a deal.

Now the switch up front would be a separate issue. You could swap out the connector pannel with the original one, which would give you a spot for the manual control of the spoiler, or you could mount the switch elsewhere, say the center console. Not like that switch has to be visiable. I only use manual deployment when I'm washing the car. Other than that, it does things on its own.

I'm guessing parts at cost would not be more than $1200. You might even be lucky enough to say swap it out with a "kid" who wants the SRT look with out all the under the hood goodies.

Maybe DCX will have a option to OPT out for the fixed spoiler. I am willing to bet 90% of the buyers don't want the fixed, and would rather have the electronic.
eeek, $1200? Well I guess it's good I have to wait. Then I can see what DC decides to do about the wing. DFWSBR, do you have another car besides your crossfire? If so what kind? I'm also looking at the Audi A4/S4 b/c a two seater just might not be practical (as my sig says). I'd very much appreciate your opinion about a sedan.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular

Just a guess on the $1200. I remember overhearing a warranty person in the office saying a dealer replaced the entire motor assy for the rear spoiler due to a "squeeking sound". She said it was in the tune of $800 dollars warranty cost. I was saying around 1200 to adjust for the spoiler if it wasn't part of the assy. Funny, because all they had to do was lube it up.

I can look into it further when I get some time. Hard to really say since I don't have an SRT6. I'd ask the tech center but they won't be getting one to pull apart since it is a very limited production.

As for a sedan, have you considered the 300c? I wasn't too hot on it until I drove it. Big car outside, lots of room inside, but handles pretty damn good. With the hemi motor it has a lot of power, and with cylender cancelling on the highway for higher MPG, how can you go wrong? I'd say give it a spin, you might just like it. Keep in mind all the drivetrain / electronics are MB, proven technology. Similar programming in the Crossfire.

If I had the 300c, I'd replace the wheels with something bigger and wider, toss on a better set of rubber. The factory tires are very weak. Continentals, and make lots of noise. Get that power planted down, and it would open up the potential of that car even further.

Audi's are nice, really solid cars. Haven't followed the current ones, but if they are still packing a turbocharger, great in the winter. Summertimes make a turbo charged car feel very weak. You can intercool it, but living in TX with the HEAT it feels sluggish. RS6 makes a ton of power, 450hp to be exact. AWD, god how I loved having AWD, but I don't miss it. Isn't really necessary down here. Unless you plan to do some road racing, then the advantage is there! Haha, I loved going deep into the corners, and pull out hard. Leaving everyone else way behind.

Not sure what budget you are working with, but the new 5 series BM's look hot. Forget what they look like in pictures, go look at a loaded one in the dealer. HOT. BMW has always been known as the "drivers car" That is exactly what you get. I find the interior to be kind of simple, where the Audi takes over. Interior styling in Audi has always been top notch.

MB has been releasing some new products as well. More work in progress. My suggestion, go check out www.autospies.com Get on the newsletter, once a week reviews, pictures, video, etc. Great pre release information on just the cars you are looking for. Word is MB is bringing out an M3 M5 killer. Hmm, way out of my price range, but would be something to look forward to if thats what you are looking for!

I don't really pay attention to the mainstream car and driver type. They seem to be the type that get paid off to hype a car that just isn't all that. Autospies calls those guys out all the time.

Best thing you can do is a lot of homework. Get out and look at them in person. Take it for a spin if they let you! Can't base everything off of numbers or hype. We all know this with the Crossfire don't we?

As for me, I got rid of the dual car / bike situation. I find the crossfire is good for 90% of my travells. If I want to have speed and fun, I hop on the bike. If I need something bigger, I can borrow pretty much anything DCX makes from the office. Major job perk. (no they aren't hiring either) 8)

Typically what I do grab when I need something bigger, is a Ram 2500 quad cab cummins turbo. That way when I'm pulling a few bikes the highway mileage is low, transmission shifts like glass, and isn't even bothered by the "load". Not that a pair of bike and a trialer is much

If I had to go with something larger, suv type I'd get a Durango. I've driven one to and from New Orleans several times. Averaged 19mpg with a speed average of 90mph. Hemi, loaded out, 4 passengers, and all our stuff. The durango handles really well at high speeds, the brakes are over kill so it doesn't require much effort to slow down when you see revenue police! I woudln't get it in anything less than the hemi though.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adam Since You're In The Loop !!!

DFWSBR/ADAM: I just ordered the SRT6 to replace my Limited Edition 6spd Coupe, because of the power for track use. However DC still only lists a single interior color scheme and only the auto stick...

Since my dealer said delivery will take appx. 4-5 months, I'm hoping that DC will soon offer additional interiors and parhaps a man. tranny... If you hear anything in the next few months, please let me know as I would really like the grey/cedar like my current car and a 6spd with the SRT...

Old 08-07-2004, 08:03 PM

Unfortunately the 300C is too big but I'd love to have one. I'd say the SRT-6's price tag of about 45,000 would be my ceiling. Thanks for all the good info though. It's a tough choice with all these companies trying to one-up the others though. I have a friend who has an A4 and he loves the thing so I decided to look into it and it looks great for me. I'd actually be in St. Louis so that AWD would be perfect Thanks for that site as well. I needed something more than the auto mags talking about one car I'm looking at for less than a page :evil: Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2004, 08:05 PM

oh and don't tell anyone but I actually like the 5 series styling :wink: now the 7 series and 6 series are a whoooooooole other story.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular

Oh 6 and 7's are sweet, but they better be for the price tag! Since St Louis is going to be the new place to live, I'd say go with AWD for sure. If it isn't in an suv, get it in a car. You will be shocked how well it handles in the snow. Only issue then will be clearance

Old 08-07-2004, 11:31 PM

I'm gonna post some numbers for the surprisingly affordable (well, sort of) S4. Looks awesome

Old 08-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Banned

Actually the interior in XF sucks compared with the new Vette,0-60 almost 2sec.less and 0-100 almost 4sec less.list price about$8,000 morefrom stock XF 05 LTD.Braking and handling about the same except Vette is better on both.Top speed forget it Vette is 186.MPG almost the same.Total wt same.1/4 mile time 12.7 not even close.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:38 PM

I saw the interior of the C6. I have to agree with DFW.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

I know the seats are alot better than the XFs.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

Oh god, how long is this going to go on? :roll:

You like the vette, get a vette. You like the srt-6, get a porsche.

... Hey wait a minute! j/k

You get my point? Everyone has thier own taste. I gave my opinion, you gave yours. Lets pop open a few beers and forgettaboutit! eh? 8)

Old 08-09-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Actually the interior in XF sucks compared with the new Vette,0-60 almost 2sec.less and 0-100 almost 4sec less.list price about$8,000 morefrom stock XF 05 LTD.Braking and handling about the same except Vette is better on both.Top speed forget it Vette is 186.MPG almost the same.Total wt same.1/4 mile time 12.7 not even close.
Does this mean you'll sell your Coupe, buy a Corvette, and start making uninformed and unintelligible posts to the Vette boards instead of here :?: :idea: :?:

Quick Reply: C6 vs. SRT-6