Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

front plates in colorado

Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front plates in colorado

this summer about the time i was completing registration my car in Colorado, there was a question on the forum about front plates. they are needed in Colorado but will they really ticket? the answer is yes. I was in cherry creek for a meeting and was ticketed twice in two hours (two different spots), a total of 150 dollars.. my car has never had a plate on it and I have been looking for a bracket.. I guess i better look faster
john

Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: front plates in colorado

I would fight the second one. How can they expect you to have it fixed within a 2 hour timeframe, more than likely when you are not near your home?
Idaho requires a front plate as well. The holes are in my bumper for it so its kinda obvious there would be one on there normally, haven't had a problem yet (crossing fingers).

Old 09-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Leptronjohn
this summer about the time i was completing registration my car in Colorado, there was a question on the forum about front plates. they are needed in Colorado but will they really ticket? the answer is yes. I was in cherry creek for a meeting and was ticketed twice in two hours (two different spots), a total of 150 dollars.. my car has never had a plate on it and I have been looking for a bracket.. I guess i better look faster
john

requiring a front plate .... and enforcing that requirement seems to be driven by concerns (on the part of law enforcement) relative to the effectiveness of their Lidar (laser radar) programs. If they are pushing for plate usage (by writing tickets) I would bet dollars to donuts that they have just outfitted their officers with new laser equipment and they want to start cashing in on it.

As well as getting that front plate mount, I would consider investigating laser countermeasures (if you like to go fast).

California has required front plates for many years. I don't run one, but I mount one long enough to get the occasional "no front plate" equipment violation ticket signed off . The ticket is usually $10 once signed off ( Many departments want an administrative fee of $10-$15 to get an officer to walk outside and look at your car to verify you have a plate on it).

As far as countermeasures, I like laserintercepter's equipment.

Chris

Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM

Illinois requires a front plate currently, but there is legislation in the state to eliminate it to save the state money. Same fees one less plate. Illinois is so far in debt they will try anything. I have not put a front plate on my XF. I bought it in February from Florida where they have no front plate requirement so there are no holes in the bumper and I don't intend to drill any. If I have to I will get one of the flip up hidden plates that I could push a button and flip it up if I get pulled over.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM

I hate the idea of drilling holes in my bumper, specialy now it is seven years old.
I work with Leo's training them how to fly uav's so I guess I should respect the law, well, if I can find a plate holder. I have never used a warning system but I do find my self blowing yet dust out every once in a while :-). I do kid the locals by telling them I can out run their radios with communication scramblers, funny.
I have not had a ticket since 76, crap do I date my self. Radar detecter humm, some thing high tech to play with.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine came wtih the license bracket mounted and holes in the bumper.. but if I was in your situation... 91 or so Miata mount..

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Mr Miata,
great picture, thank. it does give me some Ideas, since I do have a 3D printer and a cnc router with plenty of carbon.. john

Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Leptronjohn
Mr Miata,
great picture, thank. it does give me some Ideas, since I do have a 3D printer and a cnc router with plenty of carbon.. john
And here I was trying to help.. now you want to make me not like you at all! (JEALOUS) LOL. I'm fairly sure my old Miata one is still around if you would like for me to see if I can dig it up..we could work out something very reasonable on it. But it sounds like a piece-o-cake for you with your resources..