Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

LateModel21's Belt Wrap Kit - Installed

Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LateModel21's Belt Wrap Kit - Installed

Yesterday I received a newly developed belt wrap kit from Chris (LateModel21).

The selling points for me were that it uses the stock belt and gives the SC belt more wrap. Also, Chris is supposed to be getting me a 15% under drive pulley for the alternator, so that will free up some power.

Installation took approximately 20 minutes this morning and I think it looks really sharp. Anyway, here are some photos in case anyone wants to see it installed.

IMG_20130119_135336_899_zps9b06c499.jpg

IMG_20130119_135245_296_zpscbd3ffcb.jpg

IMG_20130119_135306_897_zps132b578e.jpg

Video Below

Last edited by grip grip; 04-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LateModel21's Pulley Saver Kit - Installed

looks amazing. as usual chris's work is superbly detailed and precise. the belt wrap is more than any setup i have seen or used. way to go chris!!!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: LateModel21's Pulley Saver Kit - Installed

What is the size of that idler next to the supercharger pulley? The wrap does look good. Woody

Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
What is the size of that idler next to the supercharger pulley? The wrap does look good. Woody

The flanged-smooth idler (next to the SC pulley) has an OD (at the belt surface) of 65mm. It is a double bearing idler and has a hard-black anodize on the belt contact area.

I had this pulley made so that it could mounted as shown above OR, it can be mounted with the factory (black) bracket if so desired.

The idler below it is 76mm and is also hard anodized on the belt mating surface.

Anthony (grip grip) has it shown installed with a 65 mm SC pulley, but it also works with the 62 mm SC pulley using the same belt.

The underdrive Alternator pulley is also hard coated on the belt mating surface. It is lighter than the factory pulley and is 15% larger so it will slightly reduce the load (from spinning up the Alternator) and it will increase the belt contact area (and thereby reduce slip sometimes indicated by belt dust near the alt). It should be available within the week.

Chris

Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Forum Regular

oh, almost forgot to mention .... I also had 90 mm pulleys made to replace the factory steel idler on the tensioner.

Chris

Old 01-19-2013, 08:49 PM

I think I'd like to replace the unsightly, grooved idler pulley (just above the alternator) while I'm at it. Have you got anything in the works for it, Chris?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 PM

get the tensioner pulley as well. it will set the whole engine off. maybe polish the w/p pulley?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grip grip
I think I'd like to replace the unsightly, grooved idler pulley (just above the alternator) while I'm at it. Have you got anything in the works for it, Chris?
You are the second person to ask me about that today.

My thinking was that the factory grooved pulley works (and is not a common failure item as far as I know), so why mess with it. However, it is within my means to come up with a lightweight good looking replacement ... so I will get back to you with an answer shortly.

My only hesitation is blurring the line between what is needed and what is available.
By that I mean that in order to take advantage of this particular belt wrap kit, all one needs are the 2 pulleys that you have shown mounted above (and the bolt to relocate the grooved idler) making this an inexpensive upgrade (under $150) . Adding the Alternator pulley, an aluminum tensioner pulley (I have those in 90 and 100mm) AND NOW (if you get your wish) a grooved idler .... tends to make this start to grow in perceived cost.

As long as we can keep that line clear .... i'm ok with adding icing to the cake.

Chris

Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM

look chris i have to race this guy. so anything you can do to keep him busy admiring the bling and not paying attention to the racing works for me!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by latemodel21
You are the second person to ask me about that today.

My thinking was that the factory grooved pulley works (and is not a common failure item as far as I know), so why mess with it. However, it is within my means to come up with a lightweight good looking replacement ... so I will get back to you with an answer shortly.

My only hesitation is blurring the line between what is needed and what is available.
By that I mean that in order to take advantage of this particular belt wrap kit, all one needs are the 2 pulleys that you have shown mounted above (and the bolt to relocate the grooved idler) making this an inexpensive upgrade (under $150) . Adding the Alternator pulley, an aluminum tensioner pulley (I have those in 90 and 100mm) AND NOW (if you get your wish) a grooved idler .... tends to make this start to grow in perceived cost.

As long as we can keep that line clear .... i'm ok with adding icing to the cake.

Chris

Sorry, but I guess I'm starting to really like the blingyness of the new pulleys.

Last edited by grip grip; 01-19-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
look chris i have to race this guy. so anything you can do to keep him busy admiring the bling and not paying attention to the racing works for me!!!
That reminds me, I need to go mount a bracket somewhere.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice....

might be worth pointing out to those that are reading and interested in this change....if the pulley above the alternator utilises either
1) the alternator bolt or
2) the spare bolt on the water pump flange.
Some early model 2002's (like mine) don't have the spare water pump flange to bolt onto hence a different geometry exists and clearance from the idler (below the SC) is difficult.

Looked at this with chris in prep for a 61mm.

Attached Images

Last edited by Billy22Bob; 01-19-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very Nice!!!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 PM

Billy bob, or is that Bob Billy,????? That is a great diagram, sure yells out to me that the alternator needs a pulley, there is nothing there that needs speeds that high, Id like to see 10,000 MAX for the alternator. Please some one else do this so I can pass on doing another thrash on the belts. Wdy Would free up some power too, can it be incorporated into the wrap design??

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Forum Regular

Billy bob, or is that Bob Billy,????? That is a great diagram, sure yells out to me that the alternator needs a pulley, there is nothing there that needs speeds that high, Id like to see 10,000 MAX for the alternator. Please some one else do this so I can pass on doing another thrash on the belts. Wdy Would free up some power too, can it be incorporated into the wrap design??
I tend to agree that the alternator is probably spinning too fast, that is why I had the 15% underdrive pulleys made. I also have a couple of 30% (alternator) underdrive pulleys (that I had made to use in conjunction with the 181 crank pulley which overdrives the alt and other accessories by 17% or so). I suppose I could do comparisons to see if the 30% underdrive (with stock crank pulley) spins the alt enough to support the charging requirements of the car ....

Chris

Old 01-20-2013, 02:06 PM

What is the size of the alternator pulley, and what does that work out to for RPM. Iam thinking that the only downsize is the belt sizing to accomidate the bigger pulley. It is grooved correct, what is the bore size needed?? Thanks for the great info. WOODY

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular

What is the size of the alternator pulley, and what does that work out to for RPM. Iam thinking that the only downsize is the belt sizing to accomidate the bigger pulley. It is grooved correct, what is the bore size needed?? Thanks for the great info. WOODY
Woody,
It is grooved. Bore size is approx 17.1 and the OD is approx 49.3 (stock), 58 (15% underdrive).

feel free to send me a PM if you want more specific info. I would be happy to talk with you about it.
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 01-21-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Got a set of these from Chris as well and it's been a good long while since I've gotten giddy like a kid at Christmas waiting for parts to arrive. Everything looks spectacular and very well thought out. The diameters of the pulleys will lend themselves nicely to fitting with the various SC/crank pulley options available for these cars and the choice of bearings should provide for quiet and worry-free operation. I'm really digging the machining on the face and the hard anodizing on the belt surfaces. All in all, this looks like it will really add some pizzazz to an otherwise very bland accessory belt drive system. I'm with grip though on the relocation of the SC idler pulley, it looks totally out of place and I'm more than eager to pay for a matching grooved pulley. BTW, talking about everything matching, what are the chances of getting a PS and WP pulley to match? Talk about sexy-time for the front of the motor!!! LOL

Old man winter decided to rear his ugly face and spoil the fun for me though. Didn't get them installed because between the 40mph winds and the cold temps, it was in the negatives with WC so I pussed out and stayed inside where it was warm. Really looking forward to getting them on the car and a huge thank you for making this happen.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn... I don't "need" another PSK as I still have a functioning C3 PSK setup. However I "want" a set... Those look fantastic! Bling Bling!

Unfortunately, this winter's mods have eatten up most of my play money...

Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do look nice. I'm sure they will function well too. Chris, how are these going to be sold? Via PM or is there a web site?

Quick Reply: LateModel21's Belt Wrap Kit - Installed