Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Raced an SRT6 on the track today

Old 12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Raced an SRT6 on the track today

Brakes fade much quicker with continued excessive braking. You are not likely to experience brake fade on the road, unless you are continuously bringing the car down from higher speeds. Stop and go traffic will not make it happen. After 3 or 4 one mile laps which consists of a lot of turns and requires a lot of braking, the SRT's brakes faded quickly and stopping became much harder very quickly.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:22 PM

speedfreak I have continued to monitor my post as I found it quite upsetting that it was misunderstood. You seem to have a good insight into how a car is tested, are you in the industry?

You are correct the Porsche's are our chase cars. The RUF which some think is a 200K supercar is the lead car. We didn't test the SRT for the track, we used the track to test the SRT. We didn't test the SRT against the RUF we used the RUF to help test the SRT, not to compare the two. The 911 offered a good comparison (this is where some seem to get hung up, but I think you understand where I am coming from) as the two are similarly powered, but boy do they handle differently. The 911 is designed for it's horsepower, the SRT is obviously not.

As you personally have learned, the SRT gets very loose at speed, I called it twitchy even fidgety and it can get away from you in a heartbeat iand that's with a professional driver behind the wheel. It was never designed for 330hp. It's like taking your 400hp Vette and dropping in a 550hp motor and leaving everything else stock. That Vette is going to be quirky and downright dangerous to say the least, as it was never intended to work with that powerplant.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 PM

If your conclusion is that the SRT-6 has too much power for it's suspension, then I'd hate to see how a modified SRT-4 performs on the track!

What you are saying does makes sense though. Looking just at the numbers, the road holding of the standard coupe and the SRT-6 are nearly identical. Compare that with the 911's road holding (around .95g if I remember correctly) then yea, the SRT-6 can be a handfull. I'd be willing to bet that it's not the only car in it's price/power class that behaves like this. The same goes for breaking.

I'd still buy one if I had the money over any of the other cars in it's price class (M3, S4, Z4, Boxter and even the vette), if I had the money to burn.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 PM

LOL...No i'm not from the industry, but I do know a thing or two about cars and the track. You make good sense to me. Nice to know you're still around, well for now anyways!

Old 12-16-2004, 06:17 PM

mjanowich

You've got it! The SRT is the coupe with a 330hp engine. The natural progression from 215hp would have been maybe 245 or 260. To jump to 330 on the same platform is just too much. To prove this pont, the SLK shares "some" of the components as the Xfire, but with it's powerplant and push for a new found market (the old SLK's had a bad rap) they didn't dare not modify it. It costs a lot more and it is "similar" to the Xfire platform wise, the difference is, the XRT is not similar to the SLK where it counts and that makes one huge difference. Precisely my point, is the SRT worth the money? If it performed as good as it looks...Yes! I mean after all that's what we're paying for isn't it?

Last edited by watwazat; 12-17-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Why do you think all car people could care less.It didn't handle any better !As for your logic ,the SRT6 is not selling at any dealers around me .They are discounting them because it's not wanted. M.B. buyers don't buy rebadged M.B.s "Chryslers".I believe the SRT6 will die a quick death.
All AMG Benzs take a HUGE hit and their resale sucks compared to stock M.Bs.so this is the same only worse.For XF SRT6 buyers.
Crossfires look great handle better than a SLK and are cheaper .What's new.
Is it just me or is this post contradictory and confusing or what?

I'm new here and don't mean any disrespect, but I have read it several times to be sure
and I just don't understand it! If it replies to the post below it, i'm even more confused.
I think I have a migraine coming on!

Old 12-16-2004, 09:26 PM

You've got a migraine coming on? I asked my wife to read it as I thought I might be missing the point. She read it and said..."HUH! What the heck is that!"

It isn't better, it is better, it's gonna die, it looks and handles better and Whats new?

Oh my god!

Old 12-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. FACT...The Crossfire is a reskinned SLK
2. FACT....the SRT6 is the same SLK with the AMG 3.2
3.Fact .car mags did say all this about the Crossfire .And they don't really care about shared platforms.
4.Fact.Comparing the Crossfire with any Porsche or Corvette is the same as comparing it to a old SLK
5.Do you think DC is trying to sell a Crossfire as a NEW SPORTSCAR ? I don't ,it's only a NEW LOOK .
6.If your friend bought a SRT thinking it was ONE HOT LOOKING car he was right.But it was not a NEW hot platform.He could have Read that in any ROAD test.
Is it better than a SLK no Cheaper yes.Is it worth the $s as compared with other Cars in that price range NEW yes.But don't expect it to beat new or late model PORSCHEs on the track.

That all we been hashing . Sorry for any confusion.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:44 AM

For some reason my headache hasn't gone away!

watwazat, what are you testing next and have you tested the new Vette yet?

Last edited by speedfreak; 12-17-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:05 AM

Our last test of this year which is almost complete is the 350Z, which of course we will post on one of the popular Nissan forums. Then we break for the holidays and In January we are at Barrett Jackson for the auction, which is always a delight.

We haven't tested the new Vette yet, but if Chevrolet ships us a car on schedule, we should be testing it in early March. We love testing the Vette, it is a true iconic American sports car, not only does it have it's history, but it performs well, very well. The Vette is true "value for the money" it can compete with cars that cost thousands more. It is a Chevrolet, but it's earned it's other badge, the Corvette which says a lot to those who are fans of the car and there are many.

If DC listens to it's customer's and works with the Crossfire, it too may eventually gain status. It now has the Chrysler badge and the little know Crossfire name, it's going to take time to build it's supporters and it has a long way to go.

The post about the SRT dying a quck death is utter trash. A manufacturer builds a new model with a minimum 7-year comittment, if they were to pull the Crossfire early, they may have great difficulty returning with a sports car in it's class for decades to come, as customer's have long memories. I think the Crossfire will and must evolve. Like anything new, it's a good idea to sit on the sidelines and wait a while. If the price drops which it appears it will, the SRT might actually hit the "value for money" mark and they will continue to improve year after year. As a disclaimer and for those who take things very literally, there are exceptions to the 7-year rule, remember the Fiero? But I don't think the Exec's at DC will let that happen to the Crossfire and they have the added benefit of sharing components and technology with the SLK.

speedfreak as you are Vette fan I will send you a personal transcript copy of our testing, which by the way is 3-days worth of tests. Send me an e-mail and I'll get your address and you will have it by the end of March.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-17-2004, 08:25 AM

WOW...To be at Barrett Jackson, are you hiring?

Hey man thanks for the offer on the transcript, I am a Vette fan, can't wait to see it. I'll probably be shopping for one in the Spring, probably take a big hit on the SRT though.

Your a good guy, too bad some of these guys were so critical on their posts, there's some good reading in here and now the whole topic is tainted by a few. It's gonna have a lot of views for a long time, who knows maybe they'll edit some out.

Keep up the good work Buddy!

Thanks again.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Do you have a website where you post all these reviews?

Old 12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Thumbs up Re: Raced an SRT6 on the track today

Originally Posted by speedfreak
Your a good guy, too bad some of these guys were so critical on their posts, there's some good reading in here and now the whole topic is tainted by a few. It's gonna have a lot of views for a long time, who knows maybe they'll edit some out.
!

In another world, that would not be ethical to edit or "scratch" out what was said within a discussion that has amounted to be somewhat controversial.
Remember what happened to Richard Nixon!!
Why should a post be edited out here?????????

Old 12-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Forum Regular

Yawnnnnnnn

Old 12-17-2004, 12:52 PM

mjanowic

I believe he's on a Nissan forum next week. I'm going to be e-mailing him i'll try to find out.

mbepic

Now i've read some of your posts, I understand why they have "ignore lists" here.
If and when you reply to this, I've added you to my ignore list, so I actually won't see it.
Save your breath!

NJspeed69

I couldn't have said it better myself.

"Yawnnnnnnn"

Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Banned
Exclamation Re: Raced an SRT6 on the track today

Originally Posted by watwazat
Our last test of this year which is almost complete is the 350Z, which of course we will post on one of the popular Nissan forums. Then we break for the holidays and In January we are at Barrett Jackson for the auction, which is always a delight.

We haven't tested the new Vette yet, but if Chevrolet ships us a car on schedule, we should be testing it in early March. We love testing the Vette, it is a true iconic American sports car, not only does it have it's history, but it performs well, very well. The Vette is true "value for the money" it can compete with cars that cost thousands more. It is a Chevrolet, but it's earned it's other badge, the Corvette which says a lot to those who are fans of the car and there are many.

If DC listens to it's customer's and works with the Crossfire, it too may eventually gain status. It now has the Chrysler badge and the little know Crossfire name, it's going to take time to build it's supporters and it has a long way to go.

The post about the SRT dying a quck death is utter trash. A manufacturer builds a new model with a minimum 7-year comittment, if they were to pull the Crossfire early, they may have great difficulty returning with a sports car in it's class for decades to come, as customer's have long memories. I think the Crossfire will and must evolve. Like anything new, it's a good idea to sit on the sidelines and wait a while. If the price drops which it appears it will, the SRT might actually hit the "value for money" mark and they will continue to improve year after year. As a disclaimer and for those who take things very literally, there are exceptions to the 7-year rule, remember the Fiero? But I don't think the Exec's at DC will let that happen to the Crossfire and they have the added benefit of sharing components and technology with the SLK.

speedfreak as you are Vette fan I will send you a personal transcript copy of our testing, which by the way is 3-days worth of tests. Send me an e-mail and I'll get your address and you will have it by the end of March.

Happy Holidays!
I disagree with "the Crossfire must evolve" I don't think it will mainly because cross shared platforms don't have big followings. Even the Cougar/Mustang didn't prevail. Unless it's for #s only in market share and under price compared to Benz or others.
The Crossfire could get the new 3.5 V-6 that at the very lease would then give it the 40 hp it needs to satisfy some buyers.
I do agree with most everything you have said about the SRT. Except that you made it originally sound like your friend was FOOLED into buying it on it's Performance looks. And how you proved it was not the perfomance car like PORSCHES. I don't think most SRT6 buyers are fooled. They buy it beause it looks great.
This may confuse you but I like the Porsche evolution into a GREAT car that still looks like an old car! Because of MARKET DEMAND OF PORSCHE OWNERS AND BUYERS. PORSCHE has catered to it's own GREAT customer following. And has decided to give people (PORSCHE LOVERS) what they want. THE same old looking car only better performance year after year. For an affordable start price $45-50k Boxster base. and the new Boxster coupe coming out next year. This will help them stay competive with others so called sport cars.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:56 PM

Do you have ANY automotive knowledge at all?

EVERY CAR GOES THROUGH AN EVOLUTION!

FIRST IT'S GONNA DIE A QUICK DEATH, NOW YOU'RE TALKING A DIFFERENT TUNE.
HOW DO YOU CONTRADICT YOURSELF SO QUICKLY?

THE SRT6 IS OVERPOWERED FOR IT'S OWN CAPABILITIES RIGHT NOW, HAVEN'T YOU BEEN READING? GO DRIVE THE THING ON A TRACK OVER 120, IT'LL FREAK YOUR *** OUT, YOU WON'T FEEL SAFE AND SECURE LIKE YOU SHOULD.

GIVING THE SRT AN EXTRA 40HP WOULD BE EVEN MORE SUICIDAL, IT'S HAIRY AS HELL OVER 100MPH, TRUST ME I'VE BEEN ON THE TRACK WITH IT, IT'S DOWNRIGHT SCARY! THIS THING IS ABOUT AS UNSTABLE AS A CAR GETS!

ONE BUYS THE SRT ON PERFORMANCE, BECAUSE IT IS MARKETED AS A PERFORMANCE MODEL, WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE COUPE HERE! WE'RE TALKING 47K+

THEN YOU TALK ABOUT THE PORSCHE EVOLUTION, WHY SHOULD THE CROSSFIRE BE DIFFERENT? DO YOU THINK IT WILL STAY THE SAME INDEFINITELY?

watwazat has moved on to Nissan now and won't see your post to get aggravated over, but gimme a break man, you're talking off the wall!

THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE!

Old 12-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Banned

Excuse me, the 40 HORSEPOWER I'm talking about is the 3.5 V-6 not the SRT amg engine. READ yourself. That's very clear.

The SRT is the same power that's in all 3.2 amg cars. they all must be overated. and overpowered!!
AMG is constantly building over power MBs and over priced!!
The Porsche Evolution has really been PORSCHE CUSTOMER DRIVEN. REMEMBER the 914, 924, 928 all were not accepted by the purest as PORSCHEs that's what I meant. The purest has demanded exactly what we have now. The best 911 ever! same style better guts.

And I'm not agruing the points anymore, these are facts.

And I'm not trying to say the CROSSFIRE won't change it might but probably very little.

What I'm saying is it just built to fill a small spot in DC list of cars.
It will not be built for 50 years, like the Porsche. Maybe 4-5.

Oh yeah relax. have a nice holiday. and my best to WWZ.

Old 12-17-2004, 04:25 PM

OH YES ALL THE BEST TO YOU TOO!

Old 12-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Thumbs down Re: Raced an SRT6 on the track today

Originally Posted by speedfreak
mjanowic

I believe he's on a Nissan forum next week. I'm going to be e-mailing him i'll try to find out.

mbepic

Now i've read some of your posts, I understand why they have "ignore lists" here.
If and when you reply to this, I've added you to my ignore list, so I actually won't see it.
Save your breath!

NJspeed69

I couldn't have said it better myself.

"Yawnnnnnnn"
Hardly deserves much of a reply since I'm on your ignore list; just as well, because I figure you guys are half asleep anyways.........yawnnnnnnnnnnn.

Quick Reply: Raced an SRT6 on the track today