Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Electric spoiler in SRT-S coupe

Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric spoiler in SRT-S coupe

This is the best I've been able to find on the subject:

"1. The rear wing, easy to remove and install a N/A wing that will work, extend itself when moving faster than 60mph? The SRT does not have the capability to deploy the automatic spoiler - you will have to install the proper hatch panel, wing, motor, harness and swap the "dead switch" on the SRT center console so you can deploy the spoiler manually."

Has any one actually installed the motorized spoiler on their SRT-6? If so, is there a write up regarding the mod?

Fubu in one of the threads commented that he had done 'it' on his white SRT-6. If 'it' is the information I'm looking for and there is a write up, please point me to it.

I'll just throw out that my thought regarding the switch would be an electric window switch which will go up and down with one tap each way.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Electric spoiler in SRT-S coupe

The switch for the spoiler on non-SRT XF's will NOT work. It is designed for very low current, and functions as a signal source to the BCM.
The BCM has the large transistor drivers that actually power the spoiler.
You would need to design a circuit with relays that would be able to supply voltage and the required amperage to the spoiler, and be able to switch polarity.
This could also be done electronically with some op-amps and power transistors, but the relays would be much simpler.
Another way to do it would be to adapt an old style window switch that flips polarity.

The main problem with all the above is that you would not be using the limit switches within the spoiler circuitry, this would probably result in the mechanism locking itself up at times.

An electronics expert ( not me ) could probably design a circuit that would take the feedback from the limit switches along with input from an up/down switch to accomplish the job.
This would be a Rudy Compart kinda thing, like the one touch convertible top mod.

All that being said, good luck with the project !

Last edited by ala_xfire; 05-05-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The switch for the spoiler on non-SRT XF's will NOT work. It is designed for very low current, and functions as a signal source to the BCM.
The BCM has the large transistor drivers that actually power the spoiler.
You would need to design a circuit with relays that would be able to supply voltage and the required amperage to the spoiler, and be able to switch polarity.
This could also be done electronically with some op-amps and power transistors, but the relays would be much simpler.
Another way to do it would be to adapt an old style window switch that flips polarity.

The main problem with all the above is that you would not be using the limit switches within the spoiler circuitry, this would probably result in the mechanism locking itself up at times.

An electronics expert ( not me ) could probably design a circuit that would take the feedback from the limit switches along with input from an up/down switch to accomplish the job.
This would be a Rudy Compart kinda thing, like the one touch convertible top mod.

All that being said, good luck with the project !
Or!!! You could take your car to George along with a blank check and pick it up when he's done LOL!

Old 05-05-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by kingdavid54
Or!!! You could take your car to George along with a blank check and pick it up when he's done LOL!
Yea, and every time you called to check on it, I'd tell you "just 2 more weeks"

Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Jon has a supercharged v8 in his limited and the spoiler works ,,that is the best way to do it.. my srt also has a v8,,

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...crossfire.html

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Forum Regular

If I have a V8 installed, an electric spoiler would then work?

I have to admit I find it a bit unusual that there aren't enough SRT-6 owners that would like to have the electric spoiler. I would imagine that someone who knows their ECU enough could access the electronic data, then go from there.

It's pretty obvious that some of you know your wiring such as knowing which problem joint to re-solder to solve an ongoing problem.

I gather that this information is what is needed for installing the V8's in an XF. Or doesn't anyone install them in SRT-6's?

I know nothing about electronics such as what is a BCM?

Switch-wise, I would think an older up/down express switch and electronics might work with the motor. Wouldn't this set-up shut-off once completed automatically the same as it does with the windows?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 PM

Nope.
The windows are also controlled by the BCM ( Body Control Module )

Sometimes motors are stopped by detecting that the motor has stalled ( the current increases in this state and can be detected by the controlling electronics ), sometimes limit switches are used. Just depends on what the designer put in his coffee that morning.

I know of no one putting a V8 in an SRT6, that is done with a base or limited to approach the performance capabilities of the SRT6.

The BCM in the base/limited has the circuitry to control the spoiler, the SRT6 BCM does not. ( I don't think, but it actually could be there, but unused )

The ECU ( in our world it is called the PTCM - Power Train Control Module ) does nothing but enginey things, the BCM handles the mundane body tasks.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by BibaResto
If I have a V8 installed, an electric spoiler would then work?

I have to admit I find it a bit unusual that there aren't enough SRT-6 owners that would like to have the electric spoiler. I would imagine that someone who knows their ECU enough could access the electronic data, then go from there.

It's pretty obvious that some of you know your wiring such as knowing which problem joint to re-solder to solve an ongoing problem.

I gather that this information is what is needed for installing the V8's in an XF. Or doesn't anyone install them in SRT-6's?

I know nothing about electronics such as what is a BCM?

Switch-wise, I would think an older up/down express switch and electronics might work with the motor. Wouldn't this set-up shut-off once completed automatically the same as it does with the windows?
If more people knew what goes on inside those little black boxes and could go in there and fiddle with the settings a lot of problems would be solved.
These aren't the old cars that daddy drove they run on a computer or three and if you can rip into your home computer and modify the programs in it to suit your whims go ahead and take the Crossfires black boxes out, reprogram them and fix all the niggling problems you can find scattered through out this forum.
Until then some problems can only be solved at the dealer, god help us, and we must kneel before their sacred equipment, putting us at their mercy every time we want the air bag light switched off, tire pressure sensors set etc.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:38 PM

I know of no one putting a V8 in an SRT6, that is done with a base or limited to approach the performance capabilities of the SRT6..
what ??? my SRT^ was # 3 v8 built by Rudy,, and I at Js benz with Rudy built a v8 using a srt6 the guy that owns it does not race it but it will run in the 10's here are the two of them #3 and #6 by Rcompart.

DSC_0058_zps3d6936e6.jpg Photo by amx1397 | Photobucket

Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Forum Regular

I joined this forum about two and a half years ago when I was thinking of buying a XF - which I did about two months later. During this time especially I followed a number of threads.

One that did interest me was a fellow installing a V8 in his XF. He went through a lot to tweak the PTCM (with some help) but he got it working and it passed smog.

Okay, I now know that the spoiler code would be in the BCM.

I do want to add that however cool it is, I wouldn't expect the spoiler to elegantly arise from down to up at 63 mph. But if you run across the code when you're in there...

Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would I want the 6 to look like a pooping dog? The best looking exterior feature about it is the wing.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know of no one putting a V8 in an SRT6, that is done with a base or limited to approach the performance capabilities of the SRT6.
Steve Holloway did his own swap.. and has upgraded it to a 90MM throttle body. E55 into the SRT6

Old 05-05-2016, 11:50 PM

Approach the performance of a SRT6, have you been in one? I have a 6 and Beaners V8 will blow your mind even when he isn't trying.
The trouble is getting that power to the pavement or hopefully the road if you can control it.
If you tried you could be needing a new set of tires for every tank of gas

Old 05-06-2016, 02:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If memory serves me right, the SRT-6 to 55K swaps are Jim, Steve, and Jimmy Skullz. Mr. Taz and Beaner have Limiteds to 55K. Josh, Lantana, and Jimmy (again!) had 5.0 NA motors in Limiteds. The others out there I can't recall.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Approach the performance of a SRT6, have you been in one? I have a 6 and Beaners V8 will blow your mind even when he isn't trying.
The trouble is getting that power to the pavement or hopefully the road if you can control it.
If you tried you could be needing a new set of tires for every tank of gas
You caught me out on that one Dave, I was just blowing that out of my a$$.
I just figured that the additional weight of the NA V8 would make it about equal to a modified SRT6.
Throw in the S/C on a V8, and yes, that is a whole new ball game.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:23 AM

You caught me out on that one Dave, I was just blowing that out of my a$$.
I just figured that the additional weight of the NA V8 would make it about equal to a modified SRT6.
Throw in the S/C on a V8, and yes, that is a whole new ball game.
You have to get a ride in one, it is well worth it.
It was just like the time that I got a ride in Rudys SRT6 at Woodward. We all pulled on to the freeway and everyone put their foot down, Rudy just blasted by them and the seed was sown in my head. I had a 6 just15 months later.
Luckily I am satisfied with the 6 and have no great urge to get the V8, but I would love one for sure.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by chuK_138
If memory serves me right, the SRT-6 to 55K swaps are Jim, Steve, and Jimmy Skullz. Mr. Taz and Beaner have Limiteds to 55K. Josh, Lantana, and Jimmy (again!) had 5.0 NA motors in Limiteds. The others out there I can't recall.
and Mark known as cuban b the one ,Rudy and I built in Miami . jim

pic on post "9" photobucket

Old 05-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BibaResto

I have to admit I find it a bit unusual that there aren't enough SRT-6 owners that would like to have the electric spoiler.
I don't. The "mini" spoiler is just "cute" Nothing special about it. I think people just like the fact that their "mini" spoiler pops up at a certain speed.

One less electrical thing to go wrong with these cars.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
The "mini" spoiler is just "cute" Nothing special about it. I think people just like the fact that their "mini" spoiler pops up at a certain speed.
Hey, I resemble that !

Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 AM

I for one enjoy wagging my tail when I pass someone .......

Quick Reply: Electric spoiler in SRT-S coupe