Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Best sounding exhaust for our engines

Old 12-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire

Those are on the roadsters only from the factory to add some additional body stiffness due to having no fixed roof.
1st time I have noticed them.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Best sounding exhaust for our engines

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Hi, is there any way you can have your guy remove/bend those two forward pointing hanger links? If they were to 'catch' anything (road, debris), it could get expensive ripping stuff out. Just thinking, if they were rearward facing, they would be more likely to slide over some immovable object. From the picture, it looks like they are pointing down and forward, if not then just iggy my question?

Love the 4 outlet pipes!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

Love the 4 outlet pipes!

Ty Ghost.
Took alot of looking to find these tips, I love the look of them on car. Angled, slanted, rolled.

I will see what it looks like when I take car back Thursday to have them redo everything they did. Muffler is supposed to be where the rear cats where at, wife was riding with me today and she could belive how bad the drone was, we couldn't hear eachother talk, and I swear she had a vibration in her voice like she was talking through a fan, and both of the flange connections they put in leak, and since then used smaller diameter pipe

All in all I am pissed.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:35 PM

Just got my silver fox back from shop.
They redid the exhaust how we originally planned on, with the magnaflow muffler where the rear cats where at and duals all the way back and got rid of the sharp bend around the differential.
And
D A M N
what a difference, 0 drone inside the car, has a good tone out back, it is quieter idling and normal driving, good tone, but hard on the accelerator at 3,500 rpm and up you can hear the tone out the back, but still 0 drone.
Will get some pics from under tomorrow, if someone wants a sound clip pm me your number and I will text a sound clip.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:33 AM

My exhaust guy couldn't believe how moving the muffler up made the exhaust quieter and got ride of the drone.
He said "it goes against the laws of physics" hahaha
But that sharp bend around the differential just reflects the sound waves back through the exhaust.
With stock muffler - drone
Aftermarket muffler - drone
MF muffler in back cat delete - alot of drone
MF muffler moved to where cats where at and got ride of that sharp bend - no drone

Old 12-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My exhaust guy couldn't believe how moving the muffler up made the exhaust quieter and got ride of the drone.
He said "it goes against the laws of physics" hahaha
But that sharp bend around the differential just reflects the sound waves back through the exhaust.
With stock muffler - drone
Aftermarket muffler - drone
MF muffler in back cat delete - alot of drone
MF muffler moved to where cats where at and got ride of that sharp bend - no drone

It all sounds good if that was your intent, however you will have lost quite a bit of power moving the restriction of the muffler that close to your engine, I hope that won't bother you. The laws of physics are always right, some times we just don't interpret them correctly. That's why I did the CAT delete, with a "Y" in that place into a single 3" pipe straight to the muffler, deleting the resonator, and all the restrictions, the resonator and the severe bend in the pipe. The result is it sounds like a big V8 and I actually picked up some power.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:04 AM

I think before messing with things like the exhaust it would be a good idea to have a working knowledge of how an engine actually works and air flow characteristics. It;s too bad that we don't have enough room for equal length headers for the advantage of good scavaging but joining the two sides with a "Y" close to the engine is as close as I could come to optimize the exhaust flow for maximum power.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD

It all sounds good if that was your intent, however you will have lost quite a bit of power moving the restriction of the muffler that close to your engine, I hope that won't bother you. The laws of physics are always right, some times we just don't interpret them correctly. That's why I did the CAT delete, with a "Y" in that place into a single 3" pipe straight to the muffler, deleting the resonator, and all the restrictions, the resonator and the severe bend in the pipe. The result is it sounds like a big V8 and I actually picked up some power.
The magnaflow is a open design, less restrictive than cats and muffler.
Yes these cats have good flow, but if anything I have greatly reduced back pressure.
- to cats and a restrictive silver line muffler
+magnaflow 11378 open design and 2 1/4 dual all the way back.
Non of us want to loose hp, but I do put ALOT of seat time in mine every week and the sound is soooo much better.

Do you have drone with your setup, with the cat delete and a single 3" pipe with muffler in the back?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 PM

The magnaflow is a open design, less restrictive than cats and muffler.
Yes these cats have good flow, but if anything I have greatly reduced back pressure.
- to cats and a restrictive silver line muffler
+magnaflow 11378 open design and 2 1/4 dual all the way back.
Non of us want to loose hp, but I do put ALOT of seat time in mine every week and the sound is soooo much better.

Do you have drone with your setup, with the cat delete and a single 3" pipe with muffler in the back?
No. Nothing noticeable, of course I'm an old fart and my hearing has been shot since being around jet aircraft in the service. LOL

Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 PM

Forgot to post these, sorry thought I already did.

I was worried that how they did it the exhaust is hanging to low, but I have been down a rough road yesterday getting to my crane that I would normally not go but wanted to check if the exhaust would drag, but was all clear.

3,000 rpm and up picking up speed the exhaust is louder, and has a good tone with the dual pipes, and just cruising it is quieter in the silver fox than it was before.
In spring I will be taking it back in to get the tips lined up better, and with my long hours of interstate driving every week getting rid of that drone is definitely worth it.
$72 for tips
$115 muffler
$125 exhaust work

ForumRunner_20170116_203139.png

ForumRunner_20170116_203214.png

ForumRunner_20170116_203238.png

Old 01-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! Glad it worked out.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts