Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Rear window - convertible SRT6

Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window - convertible SRT6

I have a beautiful convertible with 8000 miles. This last weekend I planned to take a ride when I noticed the rear glass was pretty much disconnected from the top. Only the top portion was still intact. It would appear the adhesive in which the window attaches to the top has dried out. Has this happened to anyone else, if so what is the fix. The vehicle is never in the sun, strange?!

Old 04-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Default Re: Rear window - convertible SRT6

I found another posting but it doesn't say conclusively what the repair is. I know 3M 1300L is an excellent adhesive, particularly if you let it dry for up 72 hrs. Once reactivated with toluene it dries like a rock. Also you can just reactivate a small section at a time with an acid brush. My concern is how the 1300L adheres to the existing glue. I might just have to a try small section and see what happens. Any thoughts? I would hate to have to find a replacement top because I expect I'll have the same problem down the road. Plus what are the chances of finding a new top?

Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You probably also have some minor seam separation in the cover, as well as some wear spots.
Get a BAS replacement top out of England, you can also get them in various colors.
I just installed a blue mohair on a SSB roadster last Saturday and it looks outstanding !
You are looking at only about $450 including shipping ( the last I heard ).
It is a somewhat complicated DIY, but if you can follow instructions, can hold a drill and a screwdriver and have a helper, you can do it.

See posts 123 & 124 in this thread :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post884564

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-03-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You probably also have some minor seam separation in the cover, as well as some wear spots.
Get a BAS replacement top out of England, you can also get them in various colors.
I just installed a blue mohair on a SSB roadster last Saturday and it looks outstanding !
You are looking at only about $450 including shipping ( the last I heard ).
It is a somewhat complicated DIY, but if you can follow instructions, can hold a drill and a screwdriver and have a helper, you can do it.

See posts 123 & 124 in this thread :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post884564
thanks for the info. before I go and change the entire top I managed to find someone who can reinstall the window although he'll need to remove the roof assembly to do so. I have the vehicle currently located in Mexico where I've found some really skilled people. I had several dents due to my son and friends parking their bikes against my car. Once I removed the cover I noticed all the damage.
I had one guy here remove all the dents and it came out perfect. I was just shocked. Amazing work. I'll let you know how the window install goes. Worth a try, only going to cost $150. FYI, the new BAS will cost nearly $1100 US including shipping.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

2 Years and still holding fine.. Also repaired a locals window a couple weeks after fixing mine.. same result.. "maybe" 40 bucks invested.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It costs about $30 for a tube of 3M Window Weld, which is what I've used on multiple cars. You don't need much more besides some good razors, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and some masking tape. Took me about 30 minutes to fix one this past weekend because it had been previously cleaned of glue residue.

Last edited by chuK_138; 04-08-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I agree with you Chuck, IF that is all that is wrong with the top.
There are however several reasons for replacing the top :
1. The long seams are starting to split.
2. There are thin areas in the top caused by repeated folding.
3. You want a color other than black.
4. The BAS tops are relatively cheap at $450.
BTW, I have a spare rear window if you want it. I don't think it would ship very well though, I could bring it to the fall Dragon. That way you could always have a prepared window on hand.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The BAS tops are relatively cheap at $450."

Unfortunately, the BAS tops are back to the their original price, currently $735 plus shipping. The price that ala_xfire quoted was for a group buy several of us were a part of a few months ago. Perhaps someone can start another one if there are enough members looking for a replacement top.