Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Strange Electrical Issue - Possible Faulty Door Switch?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Electrical Issue - Possible Faulty Door Switch?

Hi Everyone,

I noticed yesterday that my SRT-6's fog lights were flashing randomly while it was parked, almost as if the alarm was going off, but there was no siren. It finally stopped, and I went to sleep. When I approached the car to drive this morning (it has not been driven in probably a week), I tried to unlock with the key fob. The amber lights flashed, but the car would not unlock. I opened with the key and started the car. Tried to hit the lock button on the console, and still nothing. I drove on and, about 3 minutes into my trip, I could hear the relay flashing the fog lights. This went on for probably 2-3 minutes and stopped. In the meantime, the dome light came on as if the door was open. Several minutes went by, and the lights began flashing again.

At this point, I suspect it may be a faulty door switch. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Strange Electrical Issue -- Possible Faulty Door Switch?

I'd bet you next week's pay you have water intrusion in the trunk area, getting the pump/module wet.

Tear the trim out and see if I am wrong.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:23 PM

I would imagine you're right, pizzaguy. It has rained a lot this week while the car has been parked. Just ran upon a similar thread here:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ing-fix-2.html

Old 10-05-2018, 10:29 AM

I let the car air out with the windows down yesterday afternoon. I went to roll them up for the night, and the door locks were working as usual. Approached this morning to leave for work, and the locks, again, would not work with the fob. After the 15 minute drive though, the car locked just fine as usual. I left the windows cracked to hopefully continue the drying. Once dried, is there a seal that commonly fails that I can replace to prevent this from happening again?

Old 10-28-2018, 03:59 PM

I pulled the cowl back to find the alarm and plugged the new one in. Unfortunately, the car still functioned the same. I can, however, very faintly hear a muted version of the alarm going off. I have noticed this sound before when I had the car in accessory mode. Also worth noting, the TPMS is on permanently and I do not believe my homeland works. Any ideas before I make an appointment at the stealership?

Old 10-28-2018, 05:43 PM
Administrator

So did you EVER pull all the trim out of the trunk and look for water intrusion or signs of water damage? "Letting the car air out" is not answer, the problem is not getting it to dry out, the ANSWER is to get in there and see what you have. IF you have water damage, we can go from there - it will not be an easy or quick fix, but this can be resolved.

Yea, go ahead, take it to a stupid-assed dealer. Remember to leave a blank check with ********, it wont get the car fixed, but they will insist on being paid anyway.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-28-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:09 PM

Hi Pizza Guy,

Thanks for your response. The central locking not working poses an issue for me to get into the trunk, or the gas cap, etc. And me being a grown man poses an issue for me climbing back into the trunk to search for a manual release.

Do you know of a way way to access the trunk with the central locking not working? If so, I’d be happy to search for water ingress.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Grab a metal coathanger, unfold it and cut off a 12 inch piece.

From one end into a small j-hook.

Remove the driver's side tag light.

Use the j-hook to reach in about seven inches and snag the emergency release cable.

ALTERNATIVELY - remove the passenger side tag light and push on the cam to open the trunk - but don[t ask me how, they say you can do it, I've never figured it out.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Grab a metal coathanger, unfold it and cut off a 12 inch piece.

From one end into a small j-hook.

Remove the driver's side tag light.

Use the j-hook to reach in about seven inches and snag the emergency release cable.

ALTERNATIVELY - remove the passenger side tag light and push on the cam to open the trunk - but don[t ask me how, they say you can do it, I've never figured it out.
No cable, he has a coupe. There is a PDF on how to get at the lock via the driver side tag light hole.
#1 PDF
#2 PDF

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-28-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Default Re: Strange Electrical Issue - Possible Faulty Door Switch?

Great, thank you for the resources. I am going to tackle getting into the trunk this weekend and will follow the methods here to get to the pump.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...irp-alarm.html

Old 10-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80

No cable, he has a coupe. There is a PDF on how to get at the lock via the driver side tag light hole.
#1 PDF
#2 PDF
I have GOT to investigate this. I cna't believe the latch is any different - sounds easier than my trick.
If this will work on a Roadster, I need to know how to do it.
I have no issue iwth my trick but others seem to struggle with it.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I have GOT to investigate this. I cna't believe the latch is any different - sounds easier than my trick.
If this will work on a Roadster, I need to know how to do it.
I have no issue iwth my trick but others seem to struggle with it.
The coupe has no cable to yank on, presumably they figured you could not get stuck in the coupes trunk and did not install the cable. The latch would be the same more or less I guess.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:03 PM

Alright, thanks for all the guidance here. I had a chance to rip the trunk apart this afternoon -- a relatively straightforward process. Low and behold, there was about two inches of standing water in the right-hand compartment, and about an inch in the left-hand compartment with the jack.

I can hear a bit of water sloshing around in the pump itself, and a couple of the connections seem like they've corroded. Any recommendation on how to clean them?

I won't be able to wrench on the car again until a week from now, so my plan is to order a replacement pump, while also letting my existing one dry out. Hopefully mine will be salvageable and I can return the new part, but will have it in the event I need a replacement. I'll look in to sealing the wing and gas filler area next weekend to prevent this from recurring.

Thanks for all the help. I welcome any additional thoughts!

Old 11-04-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by smokey847
Alright, thanks for all the guidance here. I had a chance to rip the trunk apart this afternoon -- a relatively straightforward process. Low and behold, there was about two inches of standing water in the right-hand compartment, and about an inch in the left-hand compartment with the jack.
I can hear a bit of water sloshing around in the pump itself, and a couple of the connections seem like they've corroded. Any recommendation on how to clean them?
I won't be able to wrench on the car again until a week from now, so my plan is to order a replacement pump, while also letting my existing one dry out. Hopefully mine will be salvageable and I can return the new part, but will have it in the event I need a replacement. I'll look in to sealing the wing and gas filler area next weekend to prevent this from recurring.

Thanks for all the help. I welcome any additional thoughts!
eBay listings.
You can get a used part for less than half the cost of a new part. Some used parts come with the plugs from the harness get one of those, you just splice those in. Getting new plugs would be a real problem. Removing the corrosion on the old plugs will remove the plating on them and they will corrode again,
Most places will not take back electrical parts as they may have been burnt up by the same fault that ruined the original part, not in your case but how would they know that?
Most critical is to solve the leak.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-04-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Lots of used ones on Ebay!

Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Ah, yes. That's what I meant. I purchased one with the plugs for $180. I'll be researching how to seal up the wing and gas filler area during this week.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd take the time and remove the plug on the right side as well for just in case. If the seal on the wing were to fail it would at least drain out the trunk.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:25 PM

Hi guys,

Just got a round to replacing the pump with the one I purchased from eBay. I plugged it in to test, and I still am getting nothing. I did notice, after removing the connectors that came along with it, that there was some very minor corrosion. I also tried plugging the old one in that I have been letting dry out. As soon as I plug in the power cord, I could hear the relay inside the unit flashing the lights, as if the alarm was going off.

I hope I just got a bad unit, which I can return. I haven't spliced in the cables on the 'new' unit because they have the minor corrosion. I am going to return the unit and look for another one where the seller can ensure that was no corrosion -- lesson learned.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:44 PM

Well I finally got everything replaced and put back today. Jeez -- the plastic trim pieces in the trunk are a pain to get back in correctly. I removed the spoiler and resealed, and went ahead and replaced the siren while I was at it. All seems to be working as designed!

Thanks for all the advice here.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey847
Well I finally got everything replaced and put back today. Jeez -- the plastic trim pieces in the trunk are a pain to get back in correctly. I removed the spoiler and resealed, and went ahead and replaced the siren while I was at it. All seems to be working as designed!

Thanks for all the advice here.
It's good to hear you have it solved!

Quick Reply: Strange Electrical Issue - Possible Faulty Door Switch?