Crossfire V8 conversions A section to discuss anything about a Crossfire modified with a V8 Engine

v8 swap options

Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: v8 swap options

Now let's not get our panties in a bunch over this but Phil hasn't put on anywhere near 12K miles on his swap indicated from his last post about it... I don't want to come off any type of way but the way I look at it, as far as reliability of this 6-speed setup with more power than an NA can offer, I think my experience is more than anyone else at this point. . . . . . . .

Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number one, the trans is rated for 370 nm (272 ft-lbs) Markus .
Hi Josh,

no, it's rated 330 Nm. 5WA330 says the Nm number.

Dual mass flywheel: well the one that was used was not new when they've build tha car, but it was fully functional. After about 12 K miles it was gone. So in my opinion that is one of the parts you can't improve by a reinforced version and will allways be a problem, because the 5.0 has more torque than 400 Nm and the mass moments are higher. But while you have a 5.0 MT you'll have much fun. And because it's allways it's an indiividual conversion, there's allways the possibility of a week link in the chain.

Regards
Markus

Old 04-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bigblock427
Hi Josh,

no, it's rated 330 Nm. 5WA330 says the Nm number.

Dual mass flywheel: well the one that was used was not new when they've build tha car, but it was fully functional. After about 12 K miles it was gone. So in my opinion that is one of the parts you can't improve by a reinforced version and will allways be a problem, because the 5.0 has more torque than 400 Nm and the mass moments are higher. But while you have a 5.0 MT you'll have much fun. And because it's allways it's an indiividual conversion, there's allways the possibility of a week link in the chain.

Regards
Markus
Are you sure about that? It's the NSG370... That number is there for a reason.

He could have had a failing flywheel from different things though, it could've been an installation error. There are too many factors with these conversions, but we've already found solid state replacements that are probably much beefier, and it would be easy to have a reinforced duplicate made, that's already been discussed with SPEC. Honestly though, it's a waste of money and time, that stock Crossfire dual mass is a beast.

I'm pretty positive Phil told me he was using the C230's which would help a tiny bit to explain failure.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

Hi Josh,

maybe we have mixed up some things.

The NAG 1 722.618 5WA330 is the stoch AT tranny for the N/A. It is specified for 330 Nm
The NAG 1 722.618 5WA580 is the stock AT tranny for the SRT6. It s specified for 580 Nm
The NAG 1 can be modified up to 900 - 1.100 Nm

The GM 716767 SG-S400 is the stock 6 speed MT tranny for the N/A. It s specified for 400 Nm

Phil did a lot of V8 conversions, not only one. The one i was talking about was a M113 5.0 N/A in combination with a stock MT 6-speed used in a N/A.

Regards
Markus

Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM

Hi Josh,

maybe we have mixed up some things.

The NAG 1 722.618 5WA330 is the stoch AT tranny for the N/A. It can handle 330 Nm
The NAG 1 722.618 5WA580 is the stock AT tranny for the SRT6. It can handle 580 Nm
The NAG 1 can be modified up to 900 - 1.100 Nm

The GM 716767 SG-S400 is the stock 6 speed MT tranny for the N/A. It can handle 400 Nm

Phil did a lot of V8 conversions, not only one. The one i was talking about was a M113 5.0 N/A in combination with a stock MT 6-speed used in a N/A.

Regards
Markus

Our trans isn't a GM lol, it's a Chrysler trans that Mercedes developed...

That's the thing Markus, Phil doesn't even know how to do the V8 conversions...

Why aren't they on the German forum?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Our trans isn't a GM lol, it's a Chrysler trans that Mercedes developed...
Well, G stands for Getriebe (transmission) and M für Manuell (manual). So these are german short terms.

That's the thing Markus, Phil doesn't even know how to do the V8 conversions...

Why aren't they on the German forum?
Why should he put everything on the forum? Maybe he has some reasons, because he does conversions for a living.

Regards
Markus

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Well, G stands for Getriebe (transmission) and M für Manuell (manual). So these are german short terms.

Why should he put everything on the forum? Maybe he has some reasons, because he does conversions for a living.

Regards
Markus

Got ya on the short terms.

I just went over to your forum and this is all he has said:
"By the way: in addition to the 5.0 V8 switch I have for almost a year and a 5.5-liter AMG V8 engine with manual transmission.
Das ist aber kaum fahrbar, sehr brutal.
But this is hardly mobile, very brutal.
Von 160 Km/h auf 260 Km/h sind wir damit über eine Sekunde schneller als ein SLS-AMG - drunter regelt bis in den 4. Gang nur das ESP.
From 160 km / h to 260 km / h, we are so over a second faster than a SLS AMG - topsy controls up to 4th gear only the ESP. "

So he has two. His and a NA 55. He didn't mention ruining a clutch, and I've PM'd him multiple times with no response.

I remember him talking about doing other conversions, but anyone can throw the motor in and still have no idea what they're talking about in terms of the parts they're using... It's different when you're wanting to push them to their limits and the research involved behind it...

Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Besides, if he want's a beefier flywheel, all he needs to do is ask the person that actually knows what they're talking about...

Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Josh,

no he's done a lot more conversions. Take a look at his website - pictures show only some of his conversions: Bilder - Oesterle Automobile

And to put it in a nutshell, he's not the kind of guy who wants to share his knowledge.
It's not a one person company.
So don't be pissed if he didn't respond. This is just the way it is.

Regards
Markus

Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Hi Josh,

no he's done a lot more conversions. Take a look at his website - pictures show only some of his conversions: Bilder - Oesterle Automobile

And to put it in a nutshell, he's not the kind of guy who wants to share his knowledge.
It's not a one person company.
So don't be pissed if he didn't respond. This is just the way it is.

Regards
Markus
I've already seen those. The blue and green were different colors, and the first two he did. You act like your buddies? Yet, last year he responded to me, but never you. Did you think I forgot all of this?

Markus, you know as well as I do that he doesn't do his own ECU work... What knowledge is there to hide?

And he did respond before, to pry information from me. Once I told him that I wasn't paying his Mercedes free-lancers 10,500 euro's, he stopped responding until he wrote me trying to pry more information. Then after I told him that the ECU knowledge will remain with me, he stopped responding completely.

And I'm not pissed, mine is full factory and done myself, I don't need him for anything... lol

EDIT: For all the people reading all of this wondering what's going on. The free-lancers trying to charge me $16,000USD for the ECU now work for Evotech... Which has not produced ONE fully functioning V8 conversion. They have come up quite a few times in my talks with Rudy, me and him have a good bit of experience with them. So think about that the next time you question my price...

Last edited by sk8erjosh09; 04-24-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Forum Regular

IEDIT: For all the people reading all of this wondering what's going on. The free-lancers trying to charge me $16,000USD for the ECU now work for Evotech... Which has not produced ONE fully functioning V8 conversion. They have come up quite a few times in my talks with Rudy, me and him have a good bit of experience with them. So think about that the next time you question my price...
Hi Josh,

well i think i have to some words about that, because there are some things mixed up.

Phil has people who do programming and people who do mechanic conversions. He is the CEO.

Evotech is a completely different company who did the 5.5 AMG conversion of evil_deeds with full success. There is no relationship between Phil and Evotech. Evotech itself is no longer in germany. The Evotech guys are in Dubai now.

Pricing: i know Phils prices over here in germany. Maybe he wasn't really interested in sharing his knowledge. But what i have to say. All his cars are electronically fully functional like stock. He's also doing ESP adaptions and a manual AMG like software for the AT N/A. So i think there has a lot of research to be done to get this knowledge.

But i really don't want to mess into that. That is and really was not my intention.
Kudos for your dedication, Josh

Regards
Markus

Last edited by bigblock427; 04-24-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Hi Josh,

well i think i have to some words about that, because there are some things mixed up.

Phil has people who do programming and people who do mechanic conversions. He is the CEO.

Evotech is a completely different company who did the 5.5 AMG conversion of evil_deeds with full success. There is no relationship between Phil and Evotech. Evotech itself is no longer in germany. The Evotech guys are in Dubai now.

Pricing: i know Phils prices over here in germany. Maybe he wasn't really interested in sharing his knowledge. But what i have to say. All his cars are electronically fully functional like stock. He's also doing ESP adaptions and a manual AMG like software for the AT N/A. So i think there has a lot of research to be done to get this knowledge.

But i really don't want to mess into that. That is and really was not my intention.
Kudos for your dedication, Josh

Regards
Markus

I'm not trying to start anything Markus, just figure future potential client's shouldn't be getting wrong information. You're right, Phil doesn't do ECU re-works lol, just like I said. Now last year he told me that the people doing his work, worked at Mercedes, they decided to do jobs on the side, they did his ECU work for 15,000 euro's, then went off to Evotech...

Whether it's true or not, I'm not sure. That's just what Phil told me a year ago.

You'll have to excuse my skepticism on the "full factory" part... I have yet to know 100% that any MB swap that's ever been done is fully functional, other than mine and JimmySkullz'. Especially after what I've been told about Evotech, and my personal dealings with them.

I think it's funny that he want's to do ESP adaptions. I don't like this feeling of competition. He must be sneaking on my thread. Sly little guy. In all actuality Markus, if you know what to do, the electronics manipulation in these cars is cake walk .

And thanks Markus, I appreciate it. Thanks for helping me out when I first started my swap.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Josh,

well, to be honest, i don't want to talk about other people on an open forum platform and do wild speculations, or spread rumours.

Electronics = peace of cake. Well if you compare it to current cars, it really is. But you have to research. This means you have to invest in time and connections. At the end of the day time means money, because everybody of us has to pay his bills.

So the only thing i wanted to say: take care of the dual mass flywheel.

Regards
Markus

Last edited by bigblock427; 04-25-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what I’m reading is, if I wanted to swap in a v8 or even the srt-6 engines into my NA crossfire, I’d need patience and lots of money for it to be worth it? I just got a crossfire for 750 bucks. Needed a front bumper and headlight. Was wanting to beef up the engine, but all I’m reading throughout this whole forum is that it’s too much of a pain in the ***? If so, damn. Was really hoping to do something like that.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:41 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

A LOT of additional V8 & V6 swap success stories have been done since 2014. You need to do a lot more searching to catch the last 2 years of swaps.

The following users liked this post:
Sussudio (07-24-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

world's fastest crossfire 10.55 @ 132 , SOLD but gray srt/sl55 V8 for sale.

Sussudio (07-24-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmoe2311
So what I’m reading is, if I wanted to swap in a v8 or even the srt-6 engines into my NA crossfire, I’d need patience and lots of money for it to be worth it? I just got a crossfire for 750 bucks. Needed a front bumper and headlight. Was wanting to beef up the engine, but all I’m reading throughout this whole forum is that it’s too much of a pain in the ***? If so, damn. Was really hoping to do something like that.
Less than $4k in my 5.4 swap. That includes the $800 I paid for the donor car.

It's a good read, have fun!!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-v8-swap.html

Jared

Sussudio (07-24-2020)