Crossfire V8 conversions A section to discuss anything about a Crossfire modified with a V8 Engine

Anybody swapped the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8

Old 12-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Anybody swapped the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Just talked to Josh..... this is going to happen!!

All in, with replacing seals and gaskets in the engine, and other associated parts, I should be running and driving for less than $3000.

Jared

Sweet keep us updated ?

And start a thread on a list of what you do, needs done, to help others prep and start gathering parts.

Since just 3,000 I am assuming you are reusing clutch and and flywheel that is in it?

Have any bmw's there that would have the bigger 6 speed transmission?

Old 12-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I am reusing my stock clutch and flywheel if possible, they only have 61,700 miles on them.

I will keep the thread updated as I go.

So far, I have the engine, the ECU, and the fan shroud I will need. I would have the clutch fan too, but didn't have a wrench large enough to remove it.

Total cost with tax was $316 for everything, no core charge.

The engine is the 5.4 removed from a 2000 ML55 AMG, I have the MAF as well. The shroud I pulled from a late 90's C320.

I will still need a set of exhaust manifolds.... there is a set that will bolt on and line right up, LantanaTX mentions them in his swap.

I have already picked out my Star DAS system, and have a price and timing squared away with Josh for the ECU rebuild.

Jared

Old 12-15-2019, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

Got it in the shop, pulled the manifolds and all 16 spark plugs. All the plugs were golden brown to darker golden brown. They were all obviously in the engine too long as they were pretty worn.

Back sides of the exhaust valves looked good, dark but no buildup.

Absolutely no evidence that this engine was burning an unusual amount of oil.

Stuck a borescope in each cylinder and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, some carbon but nothing flaky.

I took a real chance with this engine because I have a policy that I don't pull engines or transmissions from cars in the wrecking yard unless they are wrecked...… this ML was not wrecked. Fingers crossed that it had a tranny problem.

I plan on replacing all of the rubber gaskets and seals, I'm anxious to see what it looks like under the valve covers. I could have pulled them today but I am beat!!

More to come at a later date!! Stay tuned!!

Jared

Old 12-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Could have been stolen or similar problem, and no keys when insurance got it, so no dealer would by with the mb electrical nightmare, so scrap yard it goes.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Could have been stolen or similar problem, and no keys when insurance got it, so no dealer would by with the mb electrical nightmare, so scrap yard it goes.
Probably, or something similar.

No way to know for sure. When it finally pops up on the wrecking yards website, I will do a vin search to see if I can learn anything else about it.

Jared

Old 12-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular

More good news to report.

Pulled one of the valve/cam covers and I don't think it could look any better under there.

Jared

Old 12-16-2019, 03:12 PM

👍

Old 12-16-2019, 07:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Great. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Jared

Just an observation. The 5.4L engine you've got from the ML55 will have the wrong type of wiring harness on it. The ML55 used the older ME27 ECU with different plugs. The Crossfire uses the ME28 ECU, so get hold of a wiring harness off a later model M113 V8 with the correct ECU plugs on it. It will be much easier to fit a new engine harness then to try and change all the ECU plugs.

I've done a few of these M113 and M113K conversions now and am happy to answer any questions you might have about the process.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CL770
Hi Jared

Just an observation. The 5.4L engine you've got from the ML55 will have the wrong type of wiring harness on it. The ML55 used the older ME27 ECU with different plugs. The Crossfire uses the ME28 ECU, so get hold of a wiring harness off a later model M113 V8 with the correct ECU plugs on it. It will be much easier to fit a new engine harness then to try and change all the ECU plugs.

I've done a few of these M113 and M113K conversions now and am happy to answer any questions you might have about the process.
But the plugs currently in the engine harness match the receptacles in the ECU I bought with the engine......

I think I would only have to splice a few of the incoming wires from the main harness to get it to work right?

Old 12-18-2019, 07:18 PM

But the plugs currently in the engine harness match the receptacles in the ECU I bought with the engine......

I think I would only have to splice a few of the incoming wires from the main harness to get it to work right?
No. The ECU that came with the engine (the one in you photo) is an ME27, it's no good for the conversion. You can convert your existing car's ECU to run the V8 or get hold of another Crossfire ECU to modify.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular

No. The ECU that came with the engine (the one in you photo) is an ME27, it's no good for the conversion. You can convert your existing car's ECU to run the V8 or get hold of another Crossfire ECU to modify.
My programmer (Josh) said my V8 ECU should work (sent him a picture) but if it didn't, he would provide a V8 ECU.

For what reason/s would the ECU I already have not work for the conversion?

I'm not against getting another harness, just curious.

Jared

Old 12-18-2019, 08:24 PM

My programmer (Josh) said my V8 ECU should work (sent him a picture) but if it didn't, he would provide a V8 ECU.

For what reason/s would the ECU I already have not work for the conversion?

I'm not against getting another harness, just curious.

Jared

Maybe Josh looked at the photo too quickly or knows a method that I'm not aware of. I don't know any way to make a ML55 ME27 ECU work in a Crossfire, there is no firmware available for the ME27 to suit a Crossfire and all the plugs are different on it. There no good tuning software available for the ME27 either. I'm sure Josh probably just assumed it was an ME28 V8 ECU, I don't know?

It sounds like Josh is going to convert an ME28 V8 ECU to run your new engine. I've used this method before and found it to be problematic with the engine starting and cruise control (slightly different circuitry to the Crossfire ECU). However, I'm sure Josh has sorted those issues out by now. I use a different method now. I take a Crossfire V6 ECU and modify its circuitry and firmware to run the V8, I think it's the best method as everything works normally. Instead of trying to make a V8 ECU work in a Crossfire chassis, I just modify the ECU a bit to run the V8 engine (takes about 1hr). I'm happy to describe the method to Josh if he wants to try it for a change. Just ask him to PM me.

The M113K methods are slightly different again.

Last edited by CL770; 12-18-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular

Maybe Josh looked at the photo too quickly or knows a method that I'm not aware of. I don't know any way to make a ML55 ME27 ECU work in a Crossfire, there is no firmware available for the ME27 to suit a Crossfire and all the plugs are different on it. There no good tuning software available for the ME27 either. I'm sure Josh probably just assumed it was an ME28 V8 ECU, I don't know?

It sounds like Josh is going to convert an ME28 V8 ECU to run your new engine. I've used this method before and found it to be problematic with the engine starting and cruise control (slightly different circuitry to the Crossfire ECU). However, I'm sure Josh has sorted those issues out by now. I use a different method now. I take a Crossfire V6 ECU and modify its circuitry and firmware to run the V8, I think it's the best method as everything works normally. Instead of trying to make a V8 ECU work in a Crossfire chassis, I just modify the ECU a bit to run the V8 engine (takes about 1hr). I'm happy to describe the method to Josh if he wants to try it for a change. Just ask him to PM me.

The M113K methods are slightly different again.
I presented the question to Josh about the ME27 ECU, while I am waiting to hear back from him, can you recommend a span of years and model of Mercedes to get a replacement engine harness from?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:42 PM

I presented the question to Josh about the ME27 ECU, while I am waiting to hear back from him, can you recommend a span of years and model of Mercedes to get a replacement engine harness from?
If it's a M113 V8 and has the same shape ECU as the Crossfire, then it should work. Probably anything from 2003/2004 onwards, preferably with the oil sump at the front. If the sump isn't at the front, then you'll have to modify the oil sensor plug to make it a bit longer. The other thing I noticed is that your engine has the old style throttle body for the ME27 ECU (with a different connector). If your getting a harness, try and get the 74mm throttle body to go with it. The other changes you'll need to make to any harness are the A/C compressor plug (take the one of your existing unit) and some of the connections in the ECU box (eg the starter, air pump rear 02 sensors, and alternator etc) . You'll need to cut two plugs off your existing V6 harness and splice it to your new V8 harness (there's a large plug on the V8 harness that these all go to that you can cut off). All the wiring colours between the Mercedes and the Crossfire are the same so it's not to hard to work out if you have both wiring diagrams. You don't need to modify the wiring to any other plugs. Your manual transmission should take care of itself as the wiring for it is not affected.

Last edited by CL770; 12-19-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Forum Regular

If it's a M113 V8 and has the same shape ECU as the Crossfire, then it should work. Probably anything from 2003/2004 onwards, preferably with the oil sump at the front. If the sump isn't at the front, then you'll have to modify the oil sensor plug to make it a bit longer. The other thing I noticed is that your engine has the old style throttle body for the ME27 ECU (with a different connector). If your getting a harness, try and get the 74mm throttle body to go with it. The other changes you'll need to make to any harness are the A/C compressor plug (take the one of your existing unit) and some of the connections in the ECU box (eg the starter, air pump rear 02 sensors, and alternator etc) on ECU plug C5 (white 9 pin) and Relay Control Module plug A (black 4 way). Cut these two plugs off your existing V6 harness and splice it to your new V8 harness (there's a large plug on the V8 harness that these all go to that you can cut off). All the wiring colours between the Mercedes and the Crossfire are the same so it's not to hard to work out if you have both wiring diagrams. You don't need to modify the wiring to any other plugs. Your manual transmission should take care of itself as the wiring for it is not affected.
Now I'm glad I didn't get rid of the 74mm TB/MAF I bought for my 3.2

I was getting ready to list them for sale since I wasn't going to be installing them.

If it comes down to it though, I don't have any problem re-pinning the engine harness. When I installed the V8 in my S10, I had to repin and recreate a harness.

​​​​​Jared

Old 12-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Now I'm glad I didn't get rid of the 74mm TB/MAF I bought for my 3.2

I was getting ready to list them for sale since I wasn't going to be installing them.

If it comes down to it though, I don't have any problem re-pinning the engine harness. When I installed the V8 in my S10, I had to repin and recreate a harness.

​​​​​Jared
You could re-pin the harness (it will work), but you'll still need to get hold of the correct ECU plugs and it's probably easiest to get them still attached to a harness. As with all things there can be several ways to achieve the same result. The first engine I used was from an ML55 and I had the same problems. I mapped out all the connections between ML55 ME27, Crossfire ME28 V6 and Mercedes ME28 V8 and in the end it was easier to just get another harness. You'll be very happy with the result, the Crossfire is an entirely different car with this engine in it.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:03 AM
Forum Regular

You could re-pin the harness (it will work), but you'll still need to get hold of the correct ECU plugs and it's probably easiest to get them still attached to a harness. As with all things there can be several ways to achieve the same result. The first engine I used was from an ML55 and I had the same problems. I mapped out all the connections between ML55 ME27, Crossfire ME28 V6 and Mercedes ME28 V8 and in the end it was easier to just get another harness. You'll be very happy with the result, the Crossfire is an entirely different car with this engine in it.
I can buy the engine harness from a 2003 CL500 for a reasonable price on eBay, I think it will work, but wanted your opinion before I pulled the trigger.

Jared

Old 12-19-2019, 12:26 AM

That should work fine!

Old 12-19-2019, 12:32 AM
Forum Regular

That should work fine!
Perfect, I just bought it. Less than $70, no big deal.... I did after all get a screaming deal on the engine.

Jared

Quick Reply: Anybody swapped the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8