Crossfire V8 conversions A section to discuss anything about a Crossfire modified with a V8 Engine

Anybody swapped the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8

Old 12-11-2019, 02:57 AM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Anybody swapped the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8

Just curious if anyone has swapped out the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8.

Jared

Old 12-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Anybody swapped the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8

There are m113 v8 swaps, but a 500 or 550 to make it worth it.
several threads on swaps.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Well not really on how they did it, but threads on having it done.splicing the wiring harness is the most tedious, getting the ecu work done, and a lost of other things.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...y-up-sale.html

This car is for sale,,, save you a year of labor and lots of money

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...p-my-mods.html

Last edited by amx1397; 12-11-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
There are m113 v8 swaps, but a 500 or 550 to make it worth it.
several threads on swaps.
I read a few threads and saw a few pictures of supercharged M113 swaps.

I am specifically curious about the 4.3 because I would want to keep my 6 spd. It appears the torque that the 4.3 has is right on the edge of what the 6 spd will handle.

I did a V6 to V8 conversion about 11 years ago. I pulled the throttle body injected 4.3 V6 from my 1991 4X4 5 spd standard cab short box S10 and installed a.030 over Tuned Port Injected 350 from an 89 IROC Camaro.

The difficulties with that swap were finding the right clutch plate with 10 splines that would work with the NV3500 5spd and Camaro flywheel, the T5 Camaro trans has 18 splines, and the other was the wiring and defeating the VATS. I was converting from Throttle Body to Multi port, and from a MAP sensor to MAF sensor with the associated relays. The wiring took about 6 weeks to sort out working on it a few hours every day. Needed a custom built oil pan to clear the front diff as I didn't want to do a body lift. Truck basically looks stock.... until I start it. I still have it, but it just sits now.

I was thinking that since the M112 and M113 share the same architecture, it would probably be a pretty straight forward swap. Just have to figure out the wiring.

Jared

Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
I am specifically curious about the 4.3 because I would want to keep my 6 spd. It appears the torque that the 4.3 has is right on the edge of what the 6 spd will handle.
if you are just looking for the 271 hp on the 4.3
Go with the a m112 3.7 241 hp same engine with a larger bite and mechanical fan, going with the electric fan gives a few hogue gets you 25 ish hp, intake, Tb etc and you can beat that and be just a easy engine in and out that is it.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

if you are just looking for the 271 hp on the 4.3
Go with the a m112 3.7 241 hp same engine with a larger bite and mechanical fan, going with the electric fan gives a few hogue gets you 25 ish hp, intake, Tb etc and you can beat that and be just a easy engine in and out that is it.
I of course was reading about the 3.7 as well. Is it just my research, or are they harder to find?

I guess I was asking about the 4.3 because I can pick up a wrecked but running C430 for $1000.

Jared

Old 12-12-2019, 09:31 AM

I of course was reading about the 3.7 as well. Is it just my research, or are they harder to find?

I guess I was asking about the 4.3 because I can pick up a wrecked but running C430 for $1000.

Jared
You can find a high milage 3.7 and comoketly rebuild in with mercedes prices (which are high) for cheaper than do a v8 swap.

If you are set and have the budget for a v8 swap and want a 6 speed there is a company that makes aluminum single mass flywheels and adapters to mount bmw 6 speed trans behind a mercedes m113 and then have a torque capacity of 450 + depending if you do more to it.

A v8 swap adds alot of $$$
If it was a quick drop in weekend project, there would be alot of then done.

Unfortunately there is not a step by step thread on the swap from people that have done it
wish there was, to help others out, but I have asked a few times and didn't get much, if i did it i want to get as much prep done as i can before hand.
or drive mine till it is worn out and get a c7 next.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular

You can find a high milage 3.7 and comoketly rebuild in with mercedes prices (which are high) for cheaper than do a v8 swap.

If you are set and have the budget for a v8 swap and want a 6 speed there is a company that makes aluminum single mass flywheels and adapters to mount bmw 6 speed trans behind a mercedes m113 and then have a torque capacity of 450 + depending if you do more to it.

A v8 swap adds alot of $$$
If it was a quick drop in weekend project, there would be alot of then done.

Unfortunately there is not a step by step thread on the swap from people that have done it
wish there was, to help others out, but I have asked a few times and didn't get much, if i did it i want to get as much prep done as i can before hand.
or drive mine till it is worn out and get a c7 next.
I did a search for what models came with the M112 3.7 and the ML350 comes up. There are 3 ML350's at a nearby wrecking yard with $500 engines. Am I correct in assuming that the 3.7 will benefit from all of the same mods (47mm TB, MAF, de-baffled elbow) that the 3.2 benefits from? I may decide to go this route instead. I'm not opposed to the V8 swap, but it seems that if the money were going to be invested, better go bigger to make it worth it. That may be a project for a later date.

Jared

Old 12-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
That is a beautiful car, and I am sure it's worth more than every penny you are asking. It's just not in the budget right now.

I really, really want to keep a manual transmission too.

Jared

Old 12-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular

Plans may have changed. I am seriously considering a V8 swap.

I mentioned the M113 V8 swap to a buddy of mine at work and he had just been to a local wrecking yard yesterday and took pictures of an ML55 AMG (he's a Benz nut). He swiped all the badges and the cluster and they are running a Christmas special, the complete engine from intake to oil pan for $250. I'm heading out there tomorrow to pull the spark plugs to check condition, and to roll the engine over by hand a few times. I may pick it up and tuck it away in the shop.

I have also been reading Lantanas V8 swap thread. It doesn't seem like anything is especially difficult or expensive for that matter, a local shop that I clean injectors for has the MB Star setup and the owner said he would be willing to help me out.

We also get our IAM signing bonus at work this January..... so I will certainly have the funds.

Funny, I've put just about 1000 miles on the XF since purchase, haven't had it a month yet, haven't even made my first payment, it still has the temporary registration, and I have just about convinced myself to do a V8 swap. The car is really fun to drive, and it is a shame they didn't get a V8 from the factory. It really needs that extra oomph!!

Jared

Old 12-13-2019, 09:14 PM

For that price you should get it anyway, I definitely would, and other parts.
​and get the adapter and singlemass aluminum flywheel for the bmw S6-53 trans and will have a 6 speed trans with base 450 torque rating and claims in bmw forums of holding alot more, they hse it behind there gas and diesel, one is a wide ratio the other is a closer ratio trans.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:17 PM

Mb coats the cylinders with alusil, and has have heard good results from high milage engines being torn down and cylinders still good.

Pulling the plugs and looking at the plugs can tell alot.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Plans may have changed. I am seriously considering a V8 swap.
Keeping a manual trans with a V-8?

I'd love to do some sort of swap for lots more power as well, keeping the manual trans. I'll be following this so keep us posted!

Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scott M
Keeping a manual trans with a V-8?

I'd love to do some sort of swap for lots more power as well, keeping the manual trans. I'll be following this so keep us posted!
I will keep the forum posted, but this isn't going to be an overnight deal.... so remain patient.

Jared

Old 12-14-2019, 03:12 AM
Forum Regular

I've read that the 370 6spd can handle 270ish ft lbs of torque, the M113 - 55 has 370ish ft lbs of torque...… yikes.

Has anyone actually grenaded a 370 transmission yet?

Jared

Old 12-14-2019, 12:45 PM

I've read that the 370 6spd can handle 270ish ft lbs of torque, the M113 - 55 has 370ish ft lbs of torque...… yikes.

Has anyone actually grenaded a 370 transmission yet?

Jared
There is a much more common bmw trans that the adapter works on also that had a capacity around 370

Josh does v8 conversion for people he puts mb 5.0 in front of them and has not had a problem.

It all depends on how your treat the trans and the surges

Jeep wrangler also uses the nsg370 and they have had many problems, they just have a different spline input shaft and even used for jeeps there is not much for upgrades for it

Old 12-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Forum Regular

Just got back from the wrecking yard, engine is not out, but will be tomorrow.

Looks very promising. Pulled the oil filter first, no evidence of any metal, pulled a spark plug in each cylinder, all the plugs looked equally severely worn, a little dark (probably dumping more fuel to compensate for shitty spark), but no evidence of any oil burning.

I didn't realize that the balancer bolt was an allen head, but was able to find a strut bolt laying on the ground that fit snug and used Vise grips to roll the engine over about a dozen times. Rolled over very smooth.

Couple of things to note, all the plugs are NGK with the Benz logo on them. They were also tough to remove. Original plugs maybe? Or serviced by MB in the past? Serpentine belt is MB also. Got the engine harness pulled from the fuse box complete, and stashed the ECU for retrieval tomorrow. Not sure the ECU will be of any use..... but will grab it nonetheless.

I pulled the airbox and battery box, and pulled the monster sized fuse box apart piece by piece. Got the inner fender liner out on the drivers side. Pulled the radiator support and rad/cond. Exhaust, bellhousing, and motor mounts should be all that is left. I will have to figure out the torque converter bolts...… since it appears there is no access plate?

Engine should be sitting on the floor in the shop by noon tomorrow hopefully.

Jared

Old 12-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

I have been reading Josh's thread for his 5.0 6spd and may have learned something important about having the AMG ECU, it seems it carries cruise and key information over circuit as opposed to CAN, which is good for me because the XF ECU carries this information the same way, so cruise control would work, and the car would start from the key instead of a push button.

Maybe as simple as unlocking the ECU and transferring the Immo data from the V6 ECU......

I'm hoping Josh will stumble onto this thread and maybe just confirm this information?

Jared

Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 AM
Forum Regular

Just talked to Josh..... this is going to happen!!

All in, with replacing seals and gaskets in the engine, and other associated parts, I should be running and driving for less than $3000.

Jared

Quick Reply: Anybody swapped the 3.2 for a 4.3 V8