Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Product Recommendation Please

Old 11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product Recommendation Please

Hello all,

Although I think I'm pretty good at detailing, I'm not a professional like many of you, so I need some advice. I'm looking for some products and I figured some of you could recommend some.

1) a product, preferably aerosol, that I can spray on plastics (such as under the rear bumper) to give it a clean shine. However, I don't want a silicone or greasy spray. I might be shooting a blank here.

2) an engine detailing spray. I had been using CD-2 Engine Detailer, but apparently it has been discontinued because no stores carry it anymore. It was an amazing product.

3) something to put on the tires just to give them a clean black look. I don't like the tire dressings anymore because i'm tired of the mess they create. I just want the tires to look clean black.

Thanks in advance guys! I love this detailing section because it prevents me from having to do "trial and error" which has caused me to collect about a hundred bottles of products that I bought and don't like. Haha.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Product Recommendation Please

I think Griot's could be your one-stop shop for everything you just talked about. All of their stuff is good IMO.

Check them out here: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000

Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: Product Recommendation Please

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
Although I think I'm pretty good at detailing, I'm not a professional like many of you, so I need some advice. I'm looking for some products and I figured some of you could recommend some.

1) a product, preferably aerosol, that I can spray on plastics (such as under the rear bumper) to give it a clean shine. However, I don't want a silicone or greasy spray. I might be shooting a blank here.

2) an engine detailing spray. I had been using CD-2 Engine Detailer, but apparently it has been discontinued because no stores carry it anymore. It was an amazing product.

3) something to put on the tires just to give them a clean black look. I don't like the tire dressings anymore because i'm tired of the mess they create. I just want the tires to look clean black.

Thanks in advance guys! I love this detailing section because it prevents me from having to do "trial and error" which has caused me to collect about a hundred bottles of products that I bought and don't like. haha
Ok, I'll go in order:

1. you can use the tire foam on that area as its black, just like your tires. I actually like to use "Back to Black", but it needs to be applied by hand.

2. believe it or not, I use the tire foam or silicon spray on the engine bays of my customers cars, but first I use the degreaser at the quarter carwash before I spray anything on there. The tire foam will lift any missed areas of dirt and leave a nice shine, but if you want a "bling" look, use the straight silicone based tire sprays. One thing to keep in mind that you will get dirt/dust attracted to the areas over time, but once this happens, just spray the engine bay down at the quarter carwash with straight water and try not to use full pressure and never stay in one spot too long as you don't want to wear off the product, it really does last some time,

3. last but not least, your tires. Previously I sent you the link for top of the line detailing products and they have a couple products available. I've been using Grape Tire dressing and have been VERY happy with it. It lasts a long time and every time you apply afterwards it just seems to penetrate further into the tires, thus needing less and less product to apply. Make sure you the let the product soak into the tires before driving the car. If some does come off, just use some quick detailer and wipe it off. I like to take a separate applicator and wipe off and "even things out" afterwards and every other time then on. There's nothing wrong with Mequiars Endurance either, as well as your gel based OTC's. I've also used Black Magic Platinum (I think thats what its called) and really liked that as well, still have it.

These are my suggestions and I'm sure you get an array of others to help you decide which way to go.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the recommendations, I can always count on the forum members for quality tips on detailing.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular

AeroBlue-
Have you ever used "Instant Shine" aerosol spray from Top of The Line.com? It looks like just what i'm trying to find. I'm also ordering Klasse All-in-one and Klasse Sealant Glaze as you recommended.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Product Recommendation Please

Please keep me updated once you get it and I'll give you the tips on how to apply it.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help AeroBlue...I think I'm going to order a can of the "Instant Shine" and try it too, it looks interesting. Do you recommend I purchase the larger size of Klasse AIO or will the 10 oz. be fine for now?

Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blacklimitedcoupe...303 Aerospace protectant is a pro detailer's favorite. I have just started to use it on tires, and it last much longer than my Autogylm tyre dressing, but the shine is not as greasy...instead it is a very natural look. Keep in mind the 303 stuff is I believe water-based, meaning it will not fade your plastics like silicone-based dressings. Try the stuff on plastics too. Meguire's #40 for plastics works well too...A very versatile product that I use for interior cleaning and all rubber and vinyl surfaces as well. The meg's #40 is really a time saver because it has cleaners, conditioners, AND UV protection all in one product. It has saved me at least an hour on details! Lastly, try the 303 on the engine bay too! Good luck with your detailing pursuits and keep on asking if necessary as I know there are at least a few on this forum who truly know their stuff!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: Product Recommendation Please

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
Thanks for the help AeroBlue...I think I'm going to order a can of the "Instant Shine" and try it too, it looks interesting. Do you recommend I purchase the larger size of Klasse AIO or will the 10 oz. be fine for now?
I'm not familiar with the Instant shine, I use the stuff from top of the line called "Grape Dressing" for the tires. As far as the larger sizes for the Klasse "twins" one word...YES! This is because of two reasons, number one, once you see how easy this product is to apply/remove, you'll be using it more than anything you've ever used and two, its cheaper that way. While I've got your ear I might as well as tell you the technique for application I like best. I got this from the autopia website. Take your applicator (I prefer a 100% cotton pad, square, but I've also used microfiber as well) and wet it. Then, wring it out real good so its just slightly damp. Then take AIO, seeing that its a cleaner/polish and is to be used first before the SG and apply a small strip across the pad and believe me, USE IT SPARINGLY! You should have enough there to do an entire section and then some, use your better judgment as it can't be stressed enough, less is best because of what this product is made of. You may find your pad starting to get dirty and this shows how much dirt is actually below the clear. I've gotten dirty pads after washing and claying a car first! You DO NOT have to wait for it to dry, just apply and remove once your done with a section. Repeat when using SG and if you want, while your using either product, flip it over and use the clean side, you can even use quick detailer to moisten up the pad, but don't spray too much.

I suggest applying a second coat of SG to your car after the first BUT, remember to wait 8-12 hours inbetween applications. Using your Cali duster or spraying some quick detailer to your car will get off any dust or road debris if you had to drive your car in between. Please let us know how things turned out with your car as well as some photos!

Old 11-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular

AeroBlue,
Thank you very very much for taking the time to give me some tips...I'll let you know the results.