Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

For the Detailing Experts

Old 11-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For the Detailing Experts

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
Thanks guys, this type of information is becoming very helpful.
Blacklimitedcoupe, I took a look at your car on your gallery, very nice.
Golfdude, I will take you up on your phone offer.

Thanks,
FP
Thank you. I'm not an expert, but I've found what works well for me. If you ever have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:00 PM

If you clay after washing, should you wash again to remove any claying residue before going on the next step? That's always puzzled me; any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular

From my experience, after you clay the car, there really isn't any residue left over. The clay removes the contaminants and traps them in the clay, but it doesn't leave behind left over clay. After I clayed my car, I used Meguirs Quik Detailing spray and sprayed and wiped down the whole car. Then I followed up with a polish and then a wax.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always wash my car before and after a clay barring. I find it essential to wash a car after clay barring so that you can rinse away the lube that you used for the clay bar. You must use a lubricant with a clay bar or prepared to get your car full of marring all over the surface. By the way, I hate Meg's and Mother's clay bars...they are designed for people who don't know what they are doing, so they are not aggressive at all. Get some clay magic, sonus clay, or eraser clay...they pull much more stuff off the surface.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 PM

Thanks, guys. I do have Clay Magic, and it recommends following the claying immediately with wax -- that's why I asked the question. What both of you are saying makes sense, however, even though the conclusions are different. I will try it both ways (following the claying with either quick detailing or a new wash) and see which seems to work best over time. Thanks very much for the experienced tips.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:13 PM

I am not completely sure how blacklimitedcoupe would do his thing but I would like some more details...basically, I think blacklimitedcoupe would clay bar and then dry the vehicle and then use a quick detail. I think this technique takes a little too long to do because of the fact that you are technically drying the car twice (once after the wash, and once with the quick detailer). I hope blacklimitedcoupe is using lube though. From experience I get the idea that you need substantial amounts of clay lube to ensure your paint does not get marred from the clay bar. What I do is wash the car, leave the car wet, and then clay bar using lubricant in small sections, then I rinse those sections off and continue this process until I clay bar the whole car...after I clay bar the car is still wet...a wash takes 5 minutes after clay barring. After all this I dry off the vehicle.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Forum Regular

This is how I do it...I wash the car, and then dry it...put it in the garage...Using meguiars quik detailer as a lubricant (recommended by meguiars). Spray it on a panel, clay that panel, then wipe down the panel with a microfiber towel. After repeating this process on each panel, I go around the car using the quik detailer (or TW Ice) and a new microfiber, spraying and wiping the whole car. I follow up with a polish, then a wax. The result is a mirror glass finish with no "marring" as you suggest.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:42 PM

Ahhhh...the Quick detailer as a lube. That works! I've used Meg's qd once as a lube. It does the job but it gets expensive real quick and the lubrication isn't as high as some dedicated clay lubes such as Sonus glyde. My biggest hate with lubricants for clay bar is they don't rinse off easily. My current lube is my current car wash soap mixed with water...Detailer's Pride Car wash soap. This soap does not use traditional soap molecules to create suds...it's a manmade material (aka...artificial). As the manufacturer claims, I think it really does neutralize water to reduce the production of water spots on the vehicle, but it too does not rinse off well. I'll be going to Optimum No Rinse for the job of quick detailer, clay bar lubricant, and car wash soap (this product is supposed to be super-flexible in terms of usability for multiple tasks). I can't wait to try the stuff. My buddy got the car wash soap from Optimum and he likes the stuff.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, you're right, the Meguiars QD does get expensive when you use it as a lube. I do like the fact that it evaporates and is fairly easy to wipe off after claying. Let me know how you like the Optimum wash...I've been toying between different wash concentrates for years and haven't found one I love.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxm
If you clay after washing, should you wash again to remove any claying residue before going on the next step? That's always puzzled me; any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering myself. Thanks golfdude and Blacklimitedcoupe.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:11 AM

Thanks golfdude and Blacklimitedcoupe.
I second that emotion. There's some great information here. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:15 AM

thanks everyone for being so nice.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Andrew, can this product be applied by hand, or do I need to buy a buffer?
fp... yes the product is applied by hand with a terry cloth wax applicator & removed with a microfiber towel... apply & remove panel by panel. very easy to work with.

it's one amazing liquid.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular
Question Re: For the Detailing Experts

Originally Posted by andrew
my favorite is a product called: diamond luster.

many haven't heard of it... b/c it not available on the retail market. its non-abrasive and is one of the best polishes out there imo. they call it a wax... but i use it as a polish and then apply a hard carnauba paste wax over top of it for added longevity

link: http://www.diamondlusterwax.com/cata...18/2440358.htm
Andrew,
What kind/brand of paste wax do you use ?
How long does it last ?

Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by marauderroy
Andrew,
What kind/brand of paste wax do you use ?
How long does it last ?
i use zymol "concours" wax... way expensive... but the longevity (a true 3 months plus) and shine is outstanding.

coming from a prior detailing owner... i am one of the few that can justify its cost.

link: http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A1524A0A0.aspx

zymol_concours_glaze1.jpg

Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 AM
FP

i use zymol "concours" wax... way expensive... but the longevity (a solid 3+ months) and shine is outstanding.

coming from a prior detailing owner... i am one of the few that can justify the cost.

link: http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A1524A0A0.aspx

Andrew, this might be a dumb question, and I hope this doesn’t get me kicked out of the GUYS club. What is the difference between a wax, and a glaze?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:01 AM
FP

I will might as well throw the next question now. If in fact glaze is used as wax, the following would be the right order to remove swirls and create a great shine and protection?
  • Wash car
  • Clay followed by wash and dry
  • Polish, or Diamond Luster
  • Wax and or glaze

Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I will might as well throw the next question now. If in fact glaze is used as wax, the following would be the right order to remove swirls and create a great shine and protection?
  • Wash car
  • Clay followed by wash and dry
  • Polish, or Diamond Luster
  • Wax and or glaze
~ near perfect order imo.

i would skip the washing after claying... b/c i use a quick detailer when claying. however... i would use a quick detailer spray on the entire paint surface after claying... then begin on the polishing.

everyone has a different preference though. one should do what they feel works best for them.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:11 AM
FP

~ near perfect order imo.

i would skip the washing after claying... b/c i use a quick detailer when claying. however... i would use a quick detailer spray on the entire paint surface after claying... then begin on the polishing.

everyone has a different preference though. one should do what they feel works best for them.
Thanks Andrew, so glaze is the same as wax?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Thanks Andrew, so glaze is the same as wax?
glaze - reflective, glossy, greater durability.

wax - wetness, depth, natural while lacking durability.

Quick Reply: For the Detailing Experts