Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Bad headlight lense

Old 10-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad headlight lense

Any idea how to fix this without replacing the whole assembly?

At first I thought it was from over buffing the hood onto the lense. Then I thought it was from condensation inside the lense. Now I'm not sure.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1002071330a.jpg (189.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad headlight lense

Looks to me like there has been moisture on the inside. I think there is a TSB on the headlights on there somewhere.
You can try some Meguiar's Plastx plastic polish/cleaner if you think it is on the outside.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Forum Regular

This is what happened to mine. You need 1,500 grit and 3,000 grit sandpaper. See this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...5&postcount=13

Oh yeah it's like $458 to replace a single assembly, plus labor.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same thing happened to mine but was replaced under warranty. So far no problems.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Mine was even worse on one and just a spot on the other - Dealer wrote it up as delamination and I got two new complete assemblies, installed, zero cost, plus a free Chrysler 300 rental for the day.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Same problem with mine and they were replaced under warranty.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM

If the headlight lens is just cloudy from the sun. I have used 303 Aerospace Protectant which is available at marine supply stores, unless you have a really good auto parts store. Use a cotton cloth and put some on the cloth and rub it like you were polishing metal use some force let dry and buff off with another clean cloth repeat and it should take care of about 90%. Lasts for a couple washings or rain showers. Also great on tires if you do not want a shine. Rubber molding etc. Has a good UV inhibitor in it, great stuff. Better than sanding or buffing.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Its my understanding that some of the headlight assemblies that have been replaced are doing this after time. I had the same issue with my original headlights and used 3M Plastic Cleaner the first time. I will tell you what works and takes about 10 minutes. Mequiars ScratchX and a Porter Cable. It polishes right off. I am blown away with the Porter Cable, great investment.

Pat

Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Smile Re: Bad headlight lense

Hi, This is Sally... I just want to thank everyone for their input. I'm having the same problem with my headlight lense. I will try taking it back to the Dealer, and if that doesn't work. I will try the mequiars plastx plastic /cleaner. I'm scared to use the 1,500-3,000 grit sand paper.

Thanks,
Sally

Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

The sandpaper scares me too. If you can find someone with a Porter Cable or other buffer you are looking at a 10 minute fix. 3M also makes a plastic scratch remover that you can get on their website for about $8 bucks.

Pat

Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Smile Re: Bad headlight lense

Originally Posted by sparks81
Any idea how to fix this without replacing the whole assembly?

At first I thought it was from over buffing the hood onto the lense. Then I thought it was from condensation inside the lense. Now I'm not sure.
Caused by UV and outside unprotecetd parking. I've used MacAleer's, 3M 39010 and the best I've found is JANVIL, used in conjuction with 1500-3000 GRIT WET or DRY used wet. Depending on damage to lens, 3 part JANVIL alone may work. The secret is in the strokes. One direction horizontal L>R. Reverse direction when changing grit or polish. www.janvil.com
1-877 4 JANVIL. About $21.00 for 3 8 oz bottles kit, + S&H

FTroopChief (former Pressure Suit Mechanic)

Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 PM

I was told by someone that there was a kit at auto zone that you can use it comes with a buffing pad that goes n a drill supposed to very well. a Mech. at a dealer was the one telling this

Old 04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Bad headlight lense

Originally Posted by Pokypoky
I was told by someone that there was a kit at auto zone that you can use it comes with a buffing pad that goes n a drill supposed to very well. a Mech. at a dealer was the one telling this
I have used this kit in the past and it works well. If this is condensation on the inside of the lens, then you should take it back to the dealer and it will be replaced under warranty (assuming the car is still under warranty).

Old 04-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Bad headlight lense

I've used (on both my kid's cars) a product/kit called Crystal View:

http://www.crystalviewchemicals.com/

with very good results. Wal Mart $20.

Alternatively, there is a thread on the forum showing a BMW getting an excellent re-do of it's headlights too. It may be scary, but it works very well.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RPM
I think there is a TSB on the headlights on there somewhere.
Does anybody have a link to this TSB? I want to use it to get my dealer to fix mine before the warranty is up.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Bad headlight lense

Originally Posted by bigbengt67
Does anybody have a link to this TSB? I want to use it to get my dealer to fix mine before the warranty is up.
Here ya go:

TBS: 13-Jan-05 - 08-002-05 - Lighting - Condensation in Headlamps

Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks alot!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:56 PM

Check out my gallery ! I too used the Crystal View product. I posted before, during processes 1 and 2 and afterwards. The stuff works as advertised except for the five minute per lense part !!!

20 bucks at your local Wally World

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM

The sand paper also scared me. I bought some 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper ($10), a varible speed polisher ($150) and some 3M liquid polishing compound ($25). That probably cost me around $200. Yes, it worked perfectly. I used it on mine and Ahley's headlights. If I were you I would buy the stuff at walmart if you do not feel comfortable with the sanding.

For me it was a different situation because I wanted to use the polisher on the entire car. All three cars if I must include the wifes Town and Country. The cleaning of the SRT's is my therapy. Much cheaper then a shrink I think.

If the dealer does not help you, I am sure they have someone or if it is like my dealer there is an advertisement where I drop the car off showing the before and after pictures of fogged headlights, Good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
The sand paper also scared me. I bought some 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper ($10), a varible speed polisher ($150) and some 3M liquid polishing compound ($25). That probably cost me around $200. Yes, it worked perfectly. I used it on mine and Ahley's headlights. If I were you I would buy the stuff at walmart if you do not feel comfortable with the sanding.

For me it was a different situation because I wanted to use the polisher on the entire car. All three cars if I must include the wifes Town and Country. The cleaning of the SRT's is my therapy. Much cheaper then a shrink I think.

If the dealer does not help you, I am sure they have someone or if it is like my dealer there is an advertisement where I drop the car off showing the before and after pictures of fogged headlights, Good luck.
Actually the kit from Wally World comes with two different grits of sanding material with the cleaning solution impregnanted into the paper. Be sure to read the instructions before you begin !

The trick, I found is to keep the lense really wet while going thru the sanding process. A spray applicator bottle using tap water works really well for this. Once the sanding process is completed then you wipe on the sealer and you're done. I taped the painted area around the lense with painters tape just because.

I don't usually hawk a product like this, but the stuff works and it's a whole heck of alot cheaper than replacing the lense.

Just my Dos Centavos !

Quick Reply: Bad headlight lense