Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Minute scratches - what to use

Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minute scratches - what to use

After driving my car this winter, I've noticed many, many scratches from drying off the car. At least I think its from a towel. Anyway, what should I use to erase these from the finish. It makes me mad to see these and each time I look, I see more. Help me get that shine back on and make it look like glass. Thanks to all.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Minute scratches - what to use

Out of curiosity, what color is your XFire? If the fine scratches are noticeable you must have a dark colored car or maybe you're looking too closely. Do you wash the car by hand or do you run it through an automatic car wash? Car washes can make fine scratches in your paint if they aren't using a good lubricating soap.

Remedies? A light abrasive rubbing compound? Clay bar? A good waxing with a high quality paste wax? Nu-Finish scratch coverup? Perhaps a voice of experience can name the best remedy.

Bob M

Old 03-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Re: Minute scratches - what to use

Look in the "Detail Shop" forum.
Lots of good advice and instructions there.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular

Many ways to do it but you might try Meguier's Scratch X, fine scratch and swirl remover followed bt Meguire's NXT Tech Wax 2.0. You should also be using microfiber towels.

If you really want the real scoop check out the sticky "How to detail your Crossfire" in this detail section at the top. Good advise on how not to get the scratches in the first place.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Minute scratches - what to use

Purchase a Porter cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (approx. $149 - $199), Pinnacle Light Swirl Remover or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, then you will need the Pinnacle Medium or Heavy Swirl Remover, The Porter Cable may seem expensive, but it is well worth the expense.

Porter Cable 7424

Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by chuck65
Many ways to do it but you might try Meguier's Scratch X, fine scratch and swirl remover followed bt Meguire's NXT Tech Wax 2.0. You should also be using microfiber towels.

If you really want the real scoop check out the sticky "How to detail your Crossfire" in this detail section at the top. Good advise on how not to get the scratches in the first place.
I just this last weekend followed that procedure, even down to the same products. After cleaning the car with Ice Liquid Clay Bar (the only thing it's good for is stripping off old wax and road film). Scratch X and NXT 2.0 removed alot of the swirl marks, but not all. I'm sure on a black car, they would be even more evident. (Mine's Blaze Red). It looks great, but not "perfect".
I may not have the courage to try any harder with this new a car.

Last edited by maxcichon; 03-14-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I just this last weekend followed that procedure, even down to the same products. After cleaning the car with Ice Liquid Clay Bar (the only thing it's good for is stripping off old wax and road film). Scratch X and NXT 2.0 removed alot of the swirl marks, but not all. I'm sure on a black car, they would be even more evident. (Mine's Blaze Red). It looks great, but not "perfect".
I may not have the courage to try any harder with this new a car.
I guess at this point I'd settle for "great". I'm sure that "great" is better than 99 percent of the cars out there. I'm looking for the best look and endurance with the least amount of work as I have 3 vehicles to maintain. One of my concerns is that I don't want to remove any more of the clear coat than needed. I may look into the Porter Cable polisher this spring.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by strupgolf
After driving my car this winter, I've noticed many, many scratches from drying off the car. At least I think its from a towel. Anyway, what should I use to erase these from the finish. It makes me mad to see these and each time I look, I see more. Help me get that shine back on and make it look like glass. Thanks to all.
I've been detailing cars for over 20 years. First off, never, never, never dry off a car that is wet from driving in the rain, snow, or from wet roads. Not only is the car covered with water, but also grit, sand, and road debris. As you wipe the car dry, you are grinding that debri and dirt into and accross your paint. As much as it hurts, let the car dry and wash it properly when things dry up. If you just can't bear to let the dirt dry on it, wash it with soap, yes, even in the rain if you must. If your car is waxed, letting it dry won't harm the paint.

Also, never wipe dust off or wax dust off your car without first using a tool such as a California car duster. They aren't perfect, but they do remove large amounts of dust without scratching your car if used properly. After the dust is off, then use a detailer spray or wax.

For light scratches, try using a cleaner wax like Zymol and good ol' elbow grease. If that doesn't work, use a buffer. If the swirls and scratches are deeper, use a scratch remover wax like Scratch Doctor. I wouldn't use a rubbing compound unless it is a very small area with very deep scratches. Lots of hand rubbing and use of a buffer do wonders. As for the buffers, I've never had to use an orbital buffer. I use a vibrating/rotating car buffer. You can do serious damage with a professional orbital buffer unless you know what you're doing.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
Purchase a Porter cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (approx. $149 - $199), Pinnacle Light Swirl Remover or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, then you will need the Pinnacle Medium or Heavy Swirl Remover, The Porter Cable may seem expensive, but it is well worth the expense.

Porter Cable 7424
I purchased a new one for $99 + $6.50 shipping to my door. Love this little puppy. (I like saving a $100).

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cable-7424.html

Then use this material combo...
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-126-f...6oz-combo.aspx with this pad / adapter combo http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-81-po...h-adapter.aspx
Don't forget to use "Crossfire" when you check-out to save a few more $$.

It's all about the looks and the Benjamins' (and of course the CROSSFIRE)

Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Talking Re: Minute scratches - what to use

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
I purchased a new one for $99 + $6.50 shipping to my door. Love this little puppy. (I like saving a $100).

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cable-7424.html

Then use this material combo...
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-126-f...6oz-combo.aspx with this pad / adapter combo http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-81-po...h-adapter.aspx
Don't forget to use "Crossfire" when you check-out to save a few more $$.

It's all about the looks and the Benjamins' (and of course the CROSSFIRE)
This is where to spend the $100 you saved!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delux...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-15-2008, 07:29 AM

3M's Finesse-It II will remove those scratches.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Thanks to all. I just got back from out of town and have'nt digested it all. I know what caused the scratches. When its cold out, I used a brush attached to a pole attached to the hose. I've done this a few times this winter and can say without a doubt that was the cause. I did'nt think the brushes were so firm, but I guess they are. I'll never use that again. My car is blaze red, and I'll try the scratch-X and some wax monday. I hate scratches. I would never run my car through a car wash unless they have the soft fabric washes.

Last edited by strupgolf; 03-17-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks to all. I just got back from out of town and have'nt digested it all. I know what caused the scratches. When its cold out, I used a brush attached to a pole attached to the hose. I've dont this a few times this winter and can say without a doubt that was the cause. I did'nt think the brushes were so firm, but I guess they are. I'll never use that again. My car is blaze red, and I'll try the scratch-X and some was monday. I hate scratches. I would never run my car through a car wash unless they have the soft fabric washes.
Ow! Ow! Ow! That hurts even reading it.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 AM

I had a scratch on the back of my car. I tried rubbing compound to get it out and actually only further damaged the paint. I notice numerous scrathes from drying. I only use microfibers, it is washed inside a washbay i have at my house, it never has seen an automatic car wash, and I am as **** as they come about parking way out. Yet still my black is no longer as bright as it has once been. I am at a loss...

Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 AM

I've got a couple of days off so I'll try the Scratch-x and a good wax job today. The scratches are not deep ones, cant feel them, but just annoying the way they look. I also try to never dry my car off with a towel, I have a soft rubber wand from California Cars. It works great to get water off. Oh well, I'll wash it, yikes 32 degrees outside, then bring it in the garage, start the tube heater, pop open a beer or two and go at it. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Well, I got done with my detailing and it turned out great. I think some of the scratches were there before I bought the car, but most of them are gone now. I used the scratch remover wax, then a coat of Eagle NSX wax, some polishing with the hand and machine. It looks really good, good enough for me. Plus when I was bored, I tried the "toothpaste on the headlights" trick. The came out about 90% better then before, what a difference. I'm not sure whats on the outside of them, but it's stubburn. I still plan to take the car into the dealer to change them out under warrenty, but they really dont need it. Oh well, maybe I'll keep the new ones fresh with care. I have to drive the car to Indy tomorrow for work, rain-snow-etc, but oh well, thats the way it is. Thanks to all for your help.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular

Well, I got done with my detailing and it turned out great. I think some of the scratches were there before I bought the car, but most of them are gone now. I used the scratch remover wax, then a coat of Eagle NSX wax, some polishing with the hand and machine. It looks really good, good enough for me. Plus when I was bored, I tried the "toothpaste on the headlights" trick. The came out about 90% better then before, what a difference. I'm not sure whats on the outside of them, but it's stubburn. I still plan to take the car into the dealer to change them out under warrenty, but they really dont need it. Oh well, maybe I'll keep the new ones fresh with care. I have to drive the car to Indy tomorrow for work, rain-snow-etc, but oh well, thats the way it is. Thanks to all for your help.
Glad your happy with your efforts. I'll buy you a beer. I left it in your refrig. You may want to try 3M plastic polish on the headlight covers it really helped mine and it works great on the taillights also. Stay away from that brush/pole/hose combo.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 PM

What did you do with the other 5? I've had that brush/washer for years and very seldom used it. Then again, I have'nt had to drive my "baby's" in bad weather for years. But times change and now I see the problems they can cause. The car does lok great and with better weather arriving, it might stay that way.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the "How to detail a Crossfire" thread!