Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire
View Poll Results: CrystalGaurd or Zaino?
CrystalGuard
33.33%
Zaino
66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

CrystalGaurd or Zaino?

Old 03-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CrystalGaurd or Zaino?

Is this simply preference? I have a black XFire, any suggestions? Is the complete CrystalGaurd more expensive than the Zaino Kit? Which one is harder to apply? Longest Lasting? Please Help! :?:

Old 03-08-2004, 08:09 PM

Here's a recent post on the Autopia site about CG. I thought this might be helpful since this seems pretty thorough of a reveiw...
__________________________________________________ ________

Crystal Guard Pro review, application and first day appearance

OK, I procrastinated and procrastinated, and I finally did it. Here is what I did, and what I see.

If you watch the CG application video, you pick up a lot about how to use the products. My kudos to Jim Campos, for this video. IMO, it stresses the concept of "swirl and scratch free". Most shops that are going to apply the product will be dealerships, I think, and if they used typical dealership application techniques the results would be a mess. The video suggests a compressor and a gravity sprayer, but I don't have those; foam applicator is the alternate method. IMO, the "spray on" is what Jim suggests for dealerships to avoid swirls. If you think about it, CG is going to be used in a lot of high end stores, and a Ferrari or Porsche with swirls is an abomination. (Heck, ANY car with swirls is an abomination.) In a multistep process, the possibilities for swirl introduction is multiplied. Most dealership employees are not going to pull out a fresh clean mf or applicator at each stage, so the spray, hose, and blot method is great.

I don't have a wash booth, and it is in the 50*s these days, so I made do with what I have. After taking care with my procedure, I don't have any more swirls than I used to.

All applicators were either mf-wrapped sponges (for the primer) or Meg's foam; all removal towels were Excel's mfs. In each case, I used about 1/3 of the product, which is about right for a Miata. The directions suggest 1/2 bottle for a medium sized car.

I washed the car outside, brought it inside and dried it (I should have left it wet, though, I watched the video midway through the application process ). I applied the primer, which is a really nice wax and contaminant stripper. I took the car back outside and removed the primer coat with runnig water and a mf towel. The surface was downright squeaky. I dried with the vac & blo and a ww mf.

I applied the CG base coat with a Meg's applicator. It goes on like wiping with a damp towel, no problem. I used no pressure. I waited about 3.5 hours, and removed the excess with a clean damp mf towel, followed by a dry mf. I then applied the top coat, and let it sit overnight, a little more than 12 hours.

This morning I used the same method to remove the top coat; damp mf followed by dry mf. I let the car sit about 90 minutes.

The appearance is SUPER HIGH REFLECTIVE, almost blinding. Really, it's almost overwhelming. Whether or not this will stand up, I can't say right now, obviously. You all know by now that I can't let anything sit still for more than a couple weeks. I'll do my best to hold off at least a month. The instructions say to avoid washing for a week

I wish I had Zaino experience with this car, so that I could compare. As I applied the product, I kept thinking about how it was what I envisioned applying Zaino would be like. I have used Klasse, but not recently enough that I could make a comparison. CG is without question more reflective than anything I can remember using, and it doesn't have that bluish look of the run-of-the-mill fluoropolymers either.

In the end, each of us has to consider the price to value ratio, and I might not be the right user to help out with that given my propensity to wax obsessively. Or, a user might value the highly reflective look more than the greenbacks in the pocket. Let me leave the product on for a while and I'll comment on it later for you.

Tom

Old 03-09-2004, 06:47 AM

You need one more option.... "Other"... That's my vote. :P

Old 03-09-2004, 08:35 AM

I did the Zaino thing on my 4 year old 300m over the weekend (a test run for the big leagues when I do my Crossfire). It was a lot of work: Wash and dry the car twice, apply the clay bar, apply and remove polish twice, apply and remove gloss enhancer twice. Total time around 5 hours.

Is it worth it? At first I was skeptical. After a few days, however, I think I'm won over. The forecast here is for warm and dry weather, I'll be able to see how it does against dust but so far the results are positive. Also, it got rid of swirl marks left by a hack job car wash a while ago.

Plus, I think the Zaino instructions are quite confusing but once you figure them out and do it it's pretty simple.