Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Removing scratches or overspray from your paint

Old 07-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Doc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing scratches or overspray from your paint

Hi gang!

Ever get something on your car's painted surface and don't really know how to deal with it or what to use to fix it? Maybe even a small scratch!

I thought I'd give you a few SHOW CAR tips on ultra fine detailing.

Let's say for example that somehow your car gets some "overspray" on it.
Meaning some very small droplets of paint carried through the air onto your beautiful paint job. This also works for about any kind of blemish or whatever you might need to fix or repair on your painted surfaces.

Go to an automtive paint store and buy a bottle of 3M #051131-05933 PERFECT III Rubbing Compound. It is a liquid, in a Black plastic 32 oz./1 Quart bottle. While you're there get a couple sheets of 1500 wet and dry sandpaper.

Do not try this with ANYTHING else!

For little blemishes and light overspray or whatever else, simply apply some rubbing compound to a soft dry terry cloth towel and run until the area is clean and back to perfect. It's just that simple. Be patient, this is a VERY MILD soft cutting liquid compound meant for the final finish. NOTE: It will NOT remove the clear-coat on later model cars.

You can also use this to repair a scratch or for correctly repairing a "spot fill" for a rock chip with the correct color touch-up paint.

First clean the area to be repaired with the 3M rubbing compound. Then fill the rock chip with new paint. I normally use an old ball point pin that no longer works or even a tooth pick for very small rock chips or for filling a longer thin scratch.

Let the new paint dry for a day, then put some "spit/saliva" on the area and sand it carefully with the 1500 wet and dry sandpaper. Sand only the excess paint off if possible and do not scratch up more area than necessary to flatten and blend the new paint into the repaired hole/scratch. If it takes more than one application to fill the hole, then do it. Patience is the key to success. Most people try to do this kind of repair too quickly and simply mess up the repair. Time is your friend. Let the paint dry and harden first.

Sand the area smooth. Then with the 3M rubbing compound restore the shine. Again be patient and rub like hell. Keep it moist with either saliva or water so the sandpaper pores won't clog up too quickly. I normally use a very small piece of sandpaper about 2" square for this type of repair.

Once it's repaired and back to normal again, then use some wax like Meguire's Tech Wax to finish it and protect it again and add that nice car show shine.

I hope this helps you someday.

Your car nut friend,
"Doc"

Old 07-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

for overspray...clay is the only safe way to go.

no rubbing compound for me...why add fine scratches with compound to remove overspray.

for scratches...use a fine compound (3M) but not overspray.

as for chip touch ups...forget wetstanding try "langka.com"

Old 07-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Forum Regular

agreed - my last car got major overspray on it, it was everywhere even the windshields.... the top, front back and whole side of the left car!

My buddies Zaino clay bar came to the rescue...

However - Doc, Thanks for the scratch removal info!!!!

-marc

p.s. I used #0000 steel wool on the windows to get it off.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by drunkiq
p.s. I used #0000 steel wool on the windows to get it off.
Try using brass wool instead of steel wool. No tiny steel particles to rust.

I had some polishing compound residue in the grooves on the hood. It wouldn't wash out and i didn't want to scratch the finish with hard rubbing or use a solvent that might attack the new paint.

The clay bar with cleaner / lubricant took it right off. Same thing with the adhesive streaks left from the plastic covers that are on the car when it ships.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Default Right n Andrew

Thats the way to go. I agree with andrew. Gotta use that Fine compound once and a while but the clay bar is great. Im going to check out that web site for rocks though never heard of that. thanks

Old 08-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Default Clay Bar

Clay Bar is awesome I have been using them for years. If anyone haas not tried it I URGE you too:

Check out manufactures Website:www.automagic.com
Located in Dallas TX and they sell them online FYI

Regards

Old 08-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular

my dumbass got overspray on my crossfire two weeks ago. I had just cleaned out the spray cap from a can of paint that was gunked up. When pushing down the nozzle in place it sprayed my hands.... I noticed on the next wash that the paint was all over the drivers side rear quarter panel and the rear wheel. The claybar took it all off....

I could have just held the can upside down and sprayed it to clean the nozzle when I finished using it the last time and avoiding this but you know how it is when you are rushing through something...

It may be expensive but it is worth keeping some around.

-marc

Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Default Re: Removing scratches or overspray from your paint

well i disagree, don't "forget wet sanding." repairing rock chips w/ touchup is all about prep

Last edited by recyclebin; 06-23-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Default Re: Removing scratches or overspray from your paint

I would never use rubbing compound on a new car like that but to each their own. Being very careful and not rushing is the key. I like 3M pink for removing swirls, clay bar is great stuff too. Each product has its own use, rubbing compound and sand paper are pretty drastic tools, but in certain situations good stuff.