Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Magniflow Cat-back ready to ship !

Old 05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Magniflow Cat-back ready to ship !

Originally Posted by RPM
Glocks are good. I'm partial to Sigs myself.

Glad that Magnaflow came through with something for the Xfire. Maybe more companies will jump in - Jet performance, Hypertech - are you out there?
What is Jet and Hypertech gonna offer us that Speed Innovation can't?
There are already plenty of suspension upgrades out there too.

The next upgrade would have to be that bulky steering wheel. the car is crying for a thin classy Momo wheel, besides what good is an airbag at 150 mph???

Old 05-04-2007, 09:59 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
What is Jet and Hypertech gonna offer us that Speed Innovation can't?
. . . Options.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by RPM
. . . Options.
got to be more specific, what does that mean?

Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Default Re: I'm going for it ! Ordered the Magnaflow system #16633

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Slim
I'm taking the plunge !

Just ordered the Magnaflow system from www.justmagnaflow.com

Price is $531.36 including shipping to Cincinnati. Another exhaust website has a really nice picture and description ...

http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=16633

This looks really cool !

I could not duplicate this set-up on my own in stainless for less money so what the heck, I'm going for it !

It should be here in five days. I'll have it on by this time next week and let y'all know what it sounds like !

Cincinnati Slim
So has it came yet??

Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Forum Regular

Ups tracking info show it in route and on-time.

Should land here in Cincy Friday late morning. I hope to have time to put it on this weekend. Believe me, I'm pretty jazzed about this. I love everything about this little car except the lack of exhaust tone. I've always really enjoyed my other magnaflow systems.

Slim

Old 05-10-2007, 06:51 PM

i just ordered mine to from hott exhaust i should have it tomorrow. there right around the corner from my work.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM

I spotted a Mini Cooper S with a Magnaflow exhaust on it, I wasn't that impressed by the sound, but it is a 4 banger, so I can't really tell by the note, it just sounded like your typical ricer muffler. Look forward to hearing you guys post your opinion after the install.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Forum Regular
Default Got it, put it on, sounding good !

Ok folks, UPS delivered the Magnaflow cat-back today.

I have a friend who has a shop w/lifts. Installed it late this afternoon.

Very simple installation. Hard part was getting rear rubber muffler hangers off of the stock muffler. My buddy had this little wire hooky "t"-handle thingy which really helped. My car has only 2,500 miles so bolts on factory pipe flange came right off w/ 12mm deep well socket on nuts and 13mm box wrench on bolt heads.

Magnaflow system uses two side by side mufflers and big oval double wall tips. Pipes split at rear end. Lots of clearance, tips project out a little further than stock. Seems to weight about the same as the stock system.

Sound is nice. Little bit of "thrumm" at 2,000 - 2,200 rpm but no serious interior resonance issues so far. Really pretty mellow but still sounds like a "real" sports car. Closest comparison is a Triumph TR6 with a Sprint/Corsa aftermarket exhaust. (Wow, am I showing my age here or what)! Sounds like a torquey big six rather than a buzzy four banger or growling V8. Which it is what it is after all !

I'm going for a drive on some Indiana back roads out to Friendship Saturday. I'll have a chance to really run 'er out them. All I had today was Friday rush-hour traffic to play in. So far so good, sounds sporty yet is not "Cop bait" loud.

More to come...

Slim

Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Forum Regular

sounds sweet, i can't wait to hear what more people think.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pictures please... really want to see how the tips look on the car...

Old 05-12-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I spotted a Mini Cooper S with a Magnaflow exhaust on it, I wasn't that impressed by the sound.
Depending on what year it was it may have been a turbo. Between that and the 4 cyl the sound comparo means nothing. Anything other than an 8 cyl just sound funny to me. Even the Vipers just don't sound mean, even when making insane power.

Check out You tube Viper Dyno Day, especially the last 2 cars on the Video.

DB

Old 05-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Buck70
Depending on what year it was it may have been a turbo. Between that and the 4 cyl the sound comparo means nothing. Anything other than an 8 cyl just sound funny to me. Even the Vipers just don't sound mean, even when making insane power.

Check out You tube Viper Dyno Day, especially the last 2 cars on the Video.

DB
post a link, I'm not interested in searching the net.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:31 PM

pics, sound clip?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Forum Regular

on my old forum by now there would be a 100 smiley faces jumping all over this thread holding signs saying "this thread is worthless without pictures" mmm or even "this thread is worthless without audio clips".

come on boys ... get us some media to take in here ... we'll take your word that the fish was that big but really rather see it ourselves. :-P

besides ... it'll be a kicker if you guys take pictures before magnaflow posts them on their website.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:23 PM

picturesss, sooouuunnnddd clips. i'm bored on a saturday.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular

Ok folks, I've got pix on my member's gallery.

Take a look and see what you think.

I work in video/film production so I'll be hooking up with my audio guy soon to make some proper sound recordings. Can you post.wav or MP3 files in the gallery ? Probably later this week.

Took a nice long drive out to Friendship Indiana yesterday. (about 55 miles each way) I donno about this. ..It's great around town but on the highway under load between 2,000 - 2,500 rpm there's this Looow growl - brrrm tone which I can feel in my chest as much as hear. Kind of reminds me of being in a single engine light plane. Once revs build above that 2,500 mark it sounds great. Since I have a stick I have some control over the sound but I think with an automatic It would get pretty old pretty quick. The sound absorbing matt in the mufflers have definitely packed down some. The system is louder than when first installed. I have to say it sounds waaay bad-*** at full throttle. Sort of like a big sport bike motor only deeper pitched. I also can tell what the motor is doing so shifting is easier without watching the tach. Before you just didn't really hear ANYTHING under 3,500 rpm. I can do much more accurate rev matching on downshifts by ear now. And there's really not much issue with trailing throttle pops or back rapping. Like I said, I donno. I'm still getting used to it. The car was sooo quiet before it's a very different drive now !

Slim

Old 05-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular

i love the look ... properly done.

hope the sound issue at low rpm can be solved with a little dynamat in the trunk.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular

goin to have to get me one of those. did you order from hotexhaust or justmagnaflow?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular

I ordered mine from: www.justmagnaflow.com
They were the first to list it as ready to ship on their website.

However to give them proper due: www.hotexhaust.com

Followed up with actual pictures and accurate description of the system. How they di that before Magnaflow put theirs up is a good question but I have to give them some credit ! Price is the same either way. It's going to be a drop-ship direct from magnaflow in California so I don't think it really matters much who you order it from.

Took a little drive with the wife Sunday. I had not told her about the new system. She never said a thing until we were almost home. It was a "worst case" situation, uphill, under load in sixth gear at about 2,000 rpm/55-60 mph in traffic. Finally she says, "you're just buzzing along aren't you, what gear are you in ?" I downshifted to fifth, revs jumped up about 500 rpm and exhaust pitch went up to a less annoying note. At low revs and under load this set-up makes some really, really low tones. I think that's why Borla adds that "right angle"
resonator to their system as a kind of a "bass trap". That's does add some weight and backpressure however. I have an audio engineer buddy with some professional mics and recording gear. I'll make some sound clips with him to try an accurately capture the sound. Cheap mics ain't gonna cut it. Won't pick-up the low frequency stuff like the pro gear can.

I am familiar with dynamat. It may help some. I hate to add weight to this little car.

You may notice the exhaust tips on the system stick out further than stock. I could have positioned them closer to the fascia opening but I was trying to get the sound behind not under the car. I think I accomplished that.

It's almost weird, the exhaust sounds like its a couple of feet behind the car.

Like a 900 pound prehistoric monster hornet following you around.

Cheers,

Slim

Last edited by Cincinnati Slim; 05-14-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Slim
Like a 900 pound prehistoric monster hornet following you around.
so, does it sound like a riced-out honda or what? is it worth $500+ ? just don't want to waste money for little power or make people look at the car for the wrong reason and laugh at it.

Quick Reply: Magniflow Cat-back ready to ship !