Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Headers anyone???

Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Headers anyone???

Originally Posted by msheredy
What about the majority of Crossfire owners here with the OEM exhaust? Fabbing up a set of headers based on your custom setup would do nothing for the rest of the group here. It sounds to me that the intentions of FlooredFab is to cater to the a bolt on community.

They would, however, be able to do a set for your setup.
It's a moot point, but the connection / flange points are in the exact same place as the OEM exhaust. It would just be easier to line-up without having those bulky cats getting in the way. Also, my engine bay is fairly stripped out and much easier to access the manifold bolts which would save about 4 hours of work removing the OEM headers and installing new ones. It takes about 2 hours just to remove those dimpled aluminum heat shields...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that just east of Phoenix? How long do you guesstimate it would take to fab a set up?

You mentioned that you have an SLK32 coming in. I wouldn't imagine these 2 cars being all that different. They use the same engine, M112, and the chassis is the same as well, R170. What is the scheduling for that particular build? My folks live in Foothills, AZ and I could take a trip over there for a test fit.
The time frame for the SLK32 has yet to be determined, the customer is in North Cal. If we can get a set of oem manifolds, a prototype can be made based on that and then test fitted and dyno'd. Once the prototypes are made then sending them out for test fitting is easy!

Last edited by cjspecial; 05-16-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Thumbs up Re: Headers anyone???

What about the majority of Crossfire owners here with the OEM exhaust? Fabbing up a set of headers based on your custom setup would do nothing for the rest of the group here. It sounds to me that the intentions of FlooredFab is to cater to the a bolt on community.

They would, however, be able to do a set for your setup.
We cater to all types of headers...Our goal is to provide products to the performance community when others don't, and these products will be top quality. Our experience tells us that the majority of customers prefer a bolt on system that directly replaces a component and complies with strict emissions and inspection standards. Some of the systems we build replace everything, and our race only headers are typically one off! Ultimately I prefer to build a complete replacement over the shorty headers. A nice long tube, stepped, with a proper merge collector will yield the best results. Whether its stepped or not also plays a roll in where the power comes (RPM) and for how long. Each segment of the step also contributes to this... for most street cars we don't use any steps, unless its a dual purpose street/race car. I'm excited to see what can be improved upon over the stock system...

Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjspecial
We cater to all types of headers...Our goal is to provide products to the performance community when others don't, and these products will be top quality. Our experience tells us that the majority of customers prefer a bolt on system that directly replaces a component and complies with strict emissions and inspection standards. Some of the systems we build replace everything, and our race only headers are typically one off! Ultimately I prefer to build a complete replacement over the shorty headers. A nice long tube, stepped, with a proper merge collector will yield the best results. Whether its stepped or not also plays a roll in where the power comes (RPM) and for how long. Each segment of the step also contributes to this... for most street cars we don't use any steps, unless its a dual purpose street/race car. I'm excited to see what can be improved upon over the stock system...
We had the engineers at Burns Stainless do a spec sheet based on my N/A 112 engine... This was for race spec headers with Schrick cams installed and extrude honed intake / exhaust... I can probably get you a set of OEM headers from both the SLK32 and SLK320 to use as a template.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
We had the engineers at Burns Stainless do a spec sheet based on my N/A 112 engine... This was for race spec headers with Schrick cams installed and extrude honed intake / exhaust... I can probably get you a set of OEM headers from both the SLK32 and SLK320 to use as a template.
That would be great! Let me know the terms... I can issue a UPS call tag for your address and they come by and pick up a package. PM with the details if you can.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Forum Regular

I am very interested in the headers.

Personally I would prefer long tube, stepped design replacing the primary cats.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
I am very interested in the headers.

Personally I would prefer long tube, stepped design replacing the primary cats.
We have had great success with the long tube and 100 cell metal matrix cats. Some cars are a bit sensitive and need a reflash of the ecu for recalibrating the 2nd O2 sensors and tuning for proper A/F ratio. Where are you located?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have had great success with the long tube and 100 cell metal matrix cats. Some cars are a bit sensitive and need a reflash of the ecu for recalibrating the 2nd O2 sensors and tuning for proper A/F ratio. Where are you located?
I would be amazed if you can fit long tube headers between the frame.

We could just plug-in an oxygen simulator on the second O2 sensors, shouldn't be that hard to do.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:12 PM

We just need to get a car in the air and see what needs to be done to fit them in there!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We just need to get a car in the air and see what needs to be done to fit them in there!
I've heard that some Hertz rental car companies have the Crossfire, In fact a lot of the rentals end up on auction and go to dealerships. You'll have to call around your area and rent it for a couple days.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:46 PM

Here's an idea... do an advanced member search and use AZ as the location... You'll come-up with quite a few... When you find the page of members, look for date last visited incase they are non-active members... Try "ChryslerGirl", she's in Mesa...

Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Default Im in

A little far away in Australia but I would be interested in a set, short or long doesn't matter what every makes the most HP.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 AM

Thanks for the tip, I didn't even think about that! I'll see what we can come up with.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the tip, I didn't even think about that! I'll see what we can come up with.
No problem... I can tell you that the exhaust on this car needs some serious work... You'll understand when you see them... There is constricted flow, it's a nearly straight main collector with almost 90 degree inlets from each of the three cylinders... Kinda looks like an "F" with an extra inlet...

The Super Sprint headers would have been terrific if they fit the engine compartment... Let me know if you need the specs that Burns Stainless provided...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

I am in Atlanta, GA. If I was local I would have no problem running by the shop and leaving the car with you.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
No problem... I can tell you that the exhaust on this car needs some serious work... You'll understand when you see them... There is constricted flow, it's a nearly straight main collector with almost 90 degree inlets from each of the three cylinders... Kinda looks like an "F" with an extra inlet...

The Super Sprint headers would have been terrific if they fit the engine compartment... Let me know if you need the specs that Burns Stainless provided...
It sounds like typical Mercedes! Most of the late models engines use that configuration. We have ways of working around it and still increase flow and hp. Thanks for the offer on the burns info. We have our own way of determining what will work and what will not. The gentleman I learned from is a veteran header build who is one of the first guys that built headers for Carol Shelby's cobra when they were first made for racing. I appreciate the help thought!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
I am in Atlanta, GA. If I was local I would have no problem running by the shop and leaving the car with you.
Sometimes I wish we were a mobile header builder!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that just east of Phoenix? How long do you guesstimate it would take to fab a set up?
Do you have an idea of how long you would need the car?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Default Re: Im in

Originally Posted by Hugo
A little far away in Australia but I would be interested in a set, short or long doesn't matter what every makes the most HP.
Typically long tube headers by nature create the most hp and tq of shorty's. Shorty's are hard to make equal length especially with a Mercedes engine. Companies have tried, but end up creating a power loss or flow differential between cylinders that can force exhaust back into one of the cylinders... when this happens it can create a lean condition on that cylinder, or alter the A/F readings that the primary O2 sensor's are seeing and cause the ecu to try and correct which by then you've over fueled the entire engine and the power loss is substantial.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 PM

Do you have an idea of how long you would need the car?
I would need the care for about a week to build the prototypes. Once the prototypes are finished, a fixture or jig is made and a test production piece is made. I would need the car again for about a day again to test fit the production piece and make any final adjustments.

Quick Reply: Headers anyone???