Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Headers anyone???

Old 05-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headers anyone???

Originally Posted by cjspecial
I would need the care for about a week to build the prototypes. Once the prototypes are finished, a fixture or jig is made and a test production piece is made. I would need the car again for about a day again to test fit the production piece and make any final adjustments.
So what would be the total time if you kept the car from start to finish. Including production time.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would need the care for about a week to build the prototypes. Once the prototypes are finished, a fixture or jig is made and a test production piece is made. I would need the car again for about a day again to test fit the production piece and make any final adjustments.
I just found this thread. I am in Phoenix and may be able to let you use my SRT6 for this. However I will be out of the country tomorrow through early June. I would like to come down and spend a little time at your location to check out the work you do. So if you don't find anyone in the next couple weeks maybe we can get together. What kind of gains were accomplished with the other Mercedes headers you manufactured?

Old 05-18-2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
So what would be the total time if you kept the car from start to finish. Including production time.
There is apprx 3 weeks needed for a sellable production part. We would need the car initially for one week, to prototype. Then again for about a day, and it takes a week for the Jet-hot coating process.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by steverwrx
I just found this thread. I am in Phoenix and may be able to let you use my SRT6 for this. However I will be out of the country tomorrow through early June. I would like to come down and spend a little time at your location to check out the work you do. So if you don't find anyone in the next couple weeks maybe we can get together. What kind of gains were accomplished with the other Mercedes headers you manufactured?
I'm glad you found it! Feel free to come by the shop anytime between 10 am and 6 pm M-F. When you get back in town let me know, and if haven't found a car by then...we would appreciate the use of yours! On the long tube setup on the E55 Kompressor 80 hp & 90 lb ft tq. This was accomplished with retuning the ecu for the headers. The long tube headers with the proper collector create so much scavenging, that it can create a positive increase in intake manifold pressure and fools the engine into thinking its larger that it actually is!

My email is chris@cncprotools.com web is www.flooredfab.com

My email is chris@cncprotools.com web is www.flooredfab.com

Last edited by cjspecial; 05-18-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Forum Regular

Any updates?

Has anyone actually made it by the shop or scheduled a time to drop by yet?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 AM

Nobody has come by yet... We are waiting for stevewrx to get back in town.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Those E55 headers really do look nice!
But I'm sure some of us here could do without the JETHOT coating, to keep costs down that would be one less step in production. The E55 sale price $1,799 is relatively competitive with other v8 headers for say LS1 Camaros and Vettes. Hell if it was a German brand header they would be charging well into $4,500 for another 25 hp increase. This is a good deal.

For a v6 all steel headers with out coatings, I say $600 - $700 is a good starting price. I'm not familiar with the cost of JETHOT coatings, that would probably run another $250 - $300?
are you kidding me, you think headers for a ls1 are around $1,799? hooker super comp long tube headers can be had for $500, and shortys or mids can be had for around $200...i'm not disputing that alot of time and effort is put into your companies headers, but when it is all said and done $1,800 is one hell of a price tag for headers.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by jp2005
are you kidding me, you think headers for a ls1 are around $1,799? hooker super comp long tube headers can be had for $500, and shortys or mids can be had for around $200...i'm not disputing that a lot of time and effort is put into your companies headers, but when it is all said and done $1,800 is one hell of a price tag for headers.
For those prices all you get is quantity... not quality! $200 set of shorties will leak, crack, not fit properly, and rust in a few months in anywhere but the desert. Its obvious you have never price a proper set of custom headers nor done research or pricing on low quantity builds. It takes alot of money to invest in building any header, even the cheap ones. The majority of the low buck headers out, are made in china or mexico! Ours are made right here in America, one at a time for quality! Not quantity. I can appreciated your views on the cost, but the truth of the matter is, our pricing is consistent with the rest of the country on custom headers ($200 per cylinder). Besides, our E55 shorty "is the lowest price in the country!" And the saying goes...ya get what ya pay for!

Old 05-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Forum Regular

For those prices all you get is quantity... not quality! $200 set of shorties will leak, crack, not fit properly, and rust in a few months in anywhere but the desert. Its obvious you have never price a proper set of custom headers nor done research or pricing on low quantity builds. It takes alot of money to invest in building any header, even the cheap ones. The majority of the low buck headers out, are made in china or mexico! Ours are made right here in America, one at a time for quality! Not quantity. I can appreciated your views on the cost, but the truth of the matter is, our pricing is consistent with the rest of the country on custom headers ($200 per cylinder). Besides, our E55 shorty "is the lowest price in the country!" And the saying goes...ya get what ya pay for!
hooker headers and other companies of the like (edelbrock, heddman, borla) are actually loved by not just the f-body community, but most of the car community as a whole for their great quality and low prices, so maybe you should do some research on their headers before you say they have fitment issues, will leak or crack after a few months.

the really funny thing is i have kooks custom headers on my trans am which were approximately $1,000, so i have researched and purchased custom made headers, i was actually considering purchasing a set of your crossfire headers, but now to steal a line from you, "it's obvious" that now i will pass.

maybe you didn't read the second part of my post, "i'm not disputing that alot of time and effort is put into your companies headers, but when it is all said and done $1,800 is one hell of a price tag for headers" - i didn't say i wasn't willing to pay $1,800, i said it was alot, and well truth be told it is alot for headers, as i said i was considering a set of your headers for my crossfire but you assumed i wasn't interested talked down on me and lost a customer.

Last edited by jp2005; 05-28-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Forum Regular

i don't understand the fuss. i completely agree the price seems high. but also agree on limited production and quality parts can make the price go up. also here is a company venturing into a product nobody else is offering which could be a financial risk and we have people right out the gate saying they won't buy. if that's the case fine, but i would hate for the company to get talked out of their decision on making this product. fact is that if they can produce positive results and a decent hp/$ ratio, i'll be in line to shell out my $1,800. i say good luck and i look forward to seeing your finished product.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jp2005
hooker headers and other companies of the like (edelbrock, heddman, borla) are actually loved by not just the f-body community, but most of the car community as a whole for their great quality and low prices, so maybe you should do some research on their headers before you say they have fitment issues, will leak or crack after a few months.

the really funny thing is i have kooks custom headers on my trans am which were approximately $1,000, so i have researched and purchased custom made headers, i was actually considering purchasing a set of your crossfire headers, but now to steal a line from you, "it's obvious" that now i will pass.

maybe you didn't read the second part of my post, "i'm not disputing that alot of time and effort is put into your companies headers, but when it is all said and done $1,800 is one hell of a price tag for headers" - i didn't say i wasn't willing to pay $1,800, i said it was alot, and well truth be told it is alot for headers, as i said i was considering a set of your headers for my crossfire but you assumed i wasn't interested talked down on me and lost a customer.
First, I wasn't "talking down to you and I never assume". Second with 15 years of experience in this industry, I've seen first hand what happens with the low price headers and deal with them (repairs) on a monthly basis. I was simply defending our products. My statement was a generalization of the mass produced header market as a whole. Not everyone's headers perform poorly, however the majority of mass produced headers do have issues in one form or another. I have done my research, its my job! I may not have quoted, or referred to ever single header manufacturer but the research has been done.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Thumbs up Re: Headers anyone???

Originally Posted by tashspop
i don't understand the fuss. i completely agree the price seems high. but also agree on limited production and quality parts can make the price go up. also here is a company venturing into a product nobody else is offering which could be a financial risk and we have people right out the gate saying they won't buy. if that's the case fine, but i would hate for the company to get talked out of their decision on making this product. fact is that if they can produce positive results and a decent hp/$ ratio, I'll be in line to shell out my $1,800. i say good luck and i look forward to seeing your finished product.
Thank you! Positive support is always welcomed and well received!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM

if my lease wasn't up so soon i would give you my car. someone get your but out there and do it!!!

by the way, you guys never responded to the post that requested some sort of gains you have seen on other mercedes cars, preferably anything wit out motor. what kind of numbers are we talking about here for $1,800, i mean, if they just look pretty, what's the point? give us the meat!! 5, 10, 15 whp?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can help sort of answer that question... SuperSprint makes headers for our engine (MB C320) and they have dyno charts showing 7 hp gain overall... Since SuperSprint is a very reputable mfg. in europe, I can assume that they have maximized the performance of the headers for the engine... That being said, I think 7 hp is probably the best you can expect from any headers on our engine...

Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the trouble with Mercedes engines, they are already very efficient from the factory, the easy stuff like the ECU and CAI and exhaust are the cheapest and easily modified parts. After that it will continue to cost us more and more money just to squeeze out another 10 hp.

This is why the Turbo, or s/c is the way to go for cheap power for most cars being sold. If an aftermarket company can put together a decent Turbo or supercharger kit under $6,500 they will have the market on the Crossfire, in fact I think a lot of crossfire owners sell the car because there isn't a reasonably priced boost kit out there.
If only we could get someone to build it and operate the software to run the damn thing.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

I am very much looking forward to a set of headers. I give anyone that actually steps up into this market place props. I would ask anyone that wants to bash their products or slam them because of their "attitude" to STF. Racing is all about trash talking. I have seen a number of reputable companies talk all sorts of trash about other offerings. Why? Because it gets people attention and often times generates sales of one kind or another.

Now while I am telling those people that want to trash a company to STF that only applies until a product is proven or disproven to work. Why talk bad about someone who is willing to produce headers for you? Support their efforts, ask for proof that what they produce actually delivers, then make your decision on whether or not to purchase.

Personally I think that these guys can get more than 7 hp out of a set of headers. While Super Sprint is a reputable company they made some compromises when designing a set of headers - cost to produce, ease of installation, packaging, emissions, etc.

Looking at the stock headers they look very restrictive to me. They may flow pretty good for the non SRT-6 cars but considering the exhaust manifolds are the same between models I am guessing they are a significant choke point for some of us.

Using the 7 hp figure for Super Sprint (on the non-sc engine) headers I am going to estimate that between 20-25 hp can be realized on the SRT-6's and 8-11 hp on the non-srt6's. Make it a set of long tube headers that replace and relocate the primary cats and that estimate goes up.

Last edited by SRT6_Roadster; 05-28-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 PM

why do you think you would get so much more power on an srt?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by x'ed
if my lease wasn't up so soon i would give you my car. someone get your but out there and do it!!!

by the way, you guys never responded to the post that requested some sort of gains you have seen on other mercedes cars, preferably anything wit out motor. what kind of numbers are we talking about here for $1,800, i mean, if they just look pretty, what's the point? give us the meat!! 5, 10, 15 whp?
The E55 Kompressor we did with the long tube set up, laid down an additional 80 hp & 90 lb ft torque. This was achieved with extensive ecu remapping. The shorties are yet to be tested. However this week we have another E55 Kompressor coming in for this reason and to start our production long tube sets. The shorties are estimated to lay down about 25 hp and 30 lb ft torque.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Forum Regular

The E55 Kompressor we did with the long tube set up, laid down an additional 80 hp & 90 lb ft torque. This was achieved with extensive ecu remapping. The shorties are yet to be tested. However this week we have another E55 Kompressor coming in for this reason and to start our production long tube sets. The shorties are estimated to lay down about 25 hp and 30 lb ft torque.
Who's doing your ecu remapping?

How about you guys partner with Speed Innovation once you get the headers done. I have their stage I kit and wouldn't mind having them do more work on my car.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by x'ed
why do you think you would get so much more power on an srt?
The reasons I think that there will be so much additional power in the SRT is that the manifolds are the between both models are the same despite the SRT6 having twice the HP (ok, maybe not quite twice but you get the point). Plus looking at the numbers the C32's are getting with Evo headers.

Of course there is only one way to be sure how much power is produced. Get the things built, installed, and a car on the dyno.

I for one am very ready to purchase the headers.

Quick Reply: Headers anyone???