Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Magnaflow 14861 review

Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnaflow 14861 review

I had my Magnaflow 14861 installed yesterday and I love it. This muffler is one of the street series and comes with many different exhaust tips. I went with the dual 2.5 x 2.75 oval. This unit is a very easy to install if your looking for deeper exhaust tones. The total cost was around $200. My local muffler shop did a great job. First they measured location and depth of the OEM muffler tips. They cut the new muffler inlet pipe about an 1" from the muffler and my tailpipe about 2" past the first bend near the rear suspension and fabricated an extension with the proper bend to align with the new muffler. I had him use stainless steel. They then mounted the muffler by having one person holding it in the proper position while the other welded the joints. He the fabricated some hangers to fit into the OEM hanger mount and welded them to the exhaust outlet close to the muffler so they can't be seen. The only thing I don't like is the new muffler is a little smaller than the stock so you see a little more of the silver heat shield around the muffler. I plan on painting it flat black with a heat resistant paint so it's not so noticeable. My opinion on the sound - At idle and cruising around between 25-45 it has a much deeper tone and is a little louder. When you get on it, it has a very deep tone and is moderately loud. I was not looking for any performance gain just a little louder, deeper sounding exhaust at a decent price and I'm very pleased with it.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Re: Magnaflow 14861 review

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
I had my Magnaflow 14861 installed yesterday and I love it. This muffler is one of the street series and comes with many different exhaust tips. I went with the dual 2.5 x 2.75 oval. This unit is a very easy to install if your looking for deeper exhaust tones. The total cost was around $200. My local muffler shop did a great job. First they measured location and depth of the OEM muffler tips. They cut the new muffler inlet pipe about an 1" from the muffler and my tailpipe about 2" past the first bend near the rear suspension and fabricated an extension with the proper bend to align with the new muffler. I had him use stainless steel. They then mounted the muffler by having one person holding it in the proper position while the other welded the joints. He the fabricated some hangers to fit into the OEM hanger mount and welded them to the exhaust outlet close to the muffler so they can't be seen. The only thing I don't like is the new muffler is a little smaller than the stock so you see a little more of the silver heat shield around the muffler. I plan on painting it flat black with a heat resistant paint so it's not so noticeable. My opinion on the sound - At idle and cruising around between 25-45 it has a much deeper tone and is a little louder. When you get on it, it has a very deep tone and is moderately loud. I was not looking for any performance gain just a little louder, deeper sounding exhaust at a decent price and I'm very pleased with it.
The tips are 3" X 3.75" on the one you got Frank.
http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...14861-417.html

Last edited by Valk; 09-20-2007 at 07:38 AM.