Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Turbo Chargers

Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Chargers

I believe it's a Renntech product, http://www.caranddriver.com/supercar...ch-slk38k.html

Old 11-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by irwin
where did you find this kit that pes site doesnt list it and how much is it???
you'll have to sacrafice your soul to the speed gods in order to own the slk38K upgrade. lol you can build it all yourself for $13k.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Forum Regular

but a 400 hp crossfire with all the other mods that would make mine pretty wild for abase mild wouldnt you say??? and i like the bolt up factor... and that's alot more hp than the kleeman with essentially a fresh motor too? hmmm seems more cost effective than trying to get the kleeman to get thoose numbers. oh and yes i can turn a wrench, and the speed gods have a lean on my soul im thinking they might forclose lol!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:03 PM

if you can get someone to tune the stock ecu for a decent price, then the rest of the project would be a walk in the park. as we all know the real headache is the computer, not our imaginations.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Forum Regular

no reflash with the 13k price tag???? wtf.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So an aftermarket Control system wouldn't work? Something like a Greedy Emanage ultimate or something or does this car have the problem that the Audis have? They simply try to recalibrate the emanaged tune out while you're driving.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
just remmember doing the SRT6 or V8 swap will probably cost you $10,000.
WoW it is going to cost me that much?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Mightymouse,

Turbocharging is possible with any car. On the crossfire, the simplest method would be to use a twin-turbo setup. Here is the simplest way to turbocharge your Crossfire:

1. Determine how much horsepower you would like to make. 300? 400? 500? 600? 700? 800? 900? 1000?
2. Calculate the airflow required to support the horsepower you want based on the displacement and efficiency of the SOHC M112 engine. This can be estimated.
3. Calculate the amount of PSI that is required to generate that airflow using that turbo. If the PSI value is greater than around 6 or 7 psi, you may have to consider rebuilding the engine with forged pistons. I believe the Mercedes M112 engine has stock forged crankarms.
3. Buy two correctly sized turbochargers. A correctly sized turbocharger is one that fits the specifications you computed in steps 2 and 3.
4. Weld up two turbo manifolds and mount the turbochargers.
5. Weld up two downpipes to connect the turbochargers to the exhaust.
6. Weld on an O2 sensor bung upstream of the catalytic converter and install a Bosch or Honda wideband Lambda sensor.
7. Connect oil feeds to the oil inlets of the turbos and vertical oil drain lines from the turbos to the oil pan.
8. Install a correctly sized intercooler to flow the air you calculated in step 2. This is to prevent detonation and increase air density (power)
9. Connect air intakes with installed blow-off valves leading from the turbo outlets to the intercooler inlets. Connect the intercooler outlets to the air intake manifold on the M112 engine.

Easy right? You have now added the air necessary to provide the horsepower you computed in step 1.
You already have the spark. Now you must time the spark to prevent detonation and add MORE FUEL!! Both are important otherwise your engine will literally explode.

There are three ways to do this:

1. Rechip the ECU and install bigger injectors. Possible, but I doubt anyone will do this for your custom turbo setup. You can make huge power this way.
2. Use an AFC Hack and bigger injectors. This is probably the most reasonable alternative, but will require you to install a MAP sensor on your intake manifold. You can make huge power this way.
3. Use a rising-rate FMU. This is low cost and rather old school. This is the way your dad used to turbocharge his car. The problem with this method is that it is not recommended for turbocharging beyond 6 or 7 psi. It will limit your power!!! Also, you will not be able to make this as efficient as rechipping or AFC hack methods.

There you go. Your car is making magnum power. Now you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Well do ya? Will your transmission and differential handle the power, or will they explode when you try to run 1000 hp through them? If you do it, let us know.

Based on my experience turbocharging hondas, assuming you have a shop, it will cost about $600/turbo, $300 for metal to make the manifolds and intake pipes, $150 for the intercooler, $600 for the electronics/injectors, $200 for the wideband and controller. That comes to just under $2500 for a do-it-yourself job.

Here is a very good guide for turbocharging a 4-cylinder honda engine. Everything in this guide can be "scaled" up for your M112 engine:

http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Last edited by sonoronos; 12-11-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Or do a v8 like lantana and spend probably 4k in parts and have over 300hp and then you'll be running high 13's and have a great handling car all with genuine mb parts. I don't know how the tranny would hook up, maybe a custom driveshaft or something to that effect, but 13k is craziness.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Dear Mightymouse,

Turbocharging is possible with any car. On the crossfire, the simplest method would be to use a twin-turbo setup. Here is the simplest way to turbocharge your Crossfire:

1. Determine how much horsepower you would like to make. 300? 400? 500? 600? 700? 800? 900? 1000?
2. Calculate the airflow required to support the horsepower you want based on the displacement and efficiency of the SOHC M112 engine. This can be estimated.
3. Calculate the amount of PSI that is required to generate that airflow using that turbo. If the PSI value is greater than around 6 or 7 psi, you may have to consider rebuilding the engine with forged pistons. I believe the Mercedes M112 engine has stock forged crankarms.
3. Buy two correctly sized turbochargers. A correctly sized turbocharger is one that fits the specifications you computed in steps 2 and 3.
4. Weld up two turbo manifolds and mount the turbochargers.
5. Weld up two downpipes to connect the turbochargers to the exhaust.
6. Weld on an O2 sensor bung upstream of the catalytic converter and install a Bosch or Honda wideband Lambda sensor.
7. Connect oil feeds to the oil inlets of the turbos and vertical oil drain lines from the turbos to the oil pan.
8. Install a correctly sized intercooler to flow the air you calculated in step 2. This is to prevent detonation and increase air density (power)
9. Connect air intakes with installed blow-off valves leading from the turbo outlets to the intercooler inlets. Connect the intercooler outlets to the air intake manifold on the M112 engine.

Easy right? You have now added the air necessary to provide the horsepower you computed in step 1.
You already have the spark. Now you must time the spark to prevent detonation and add MORE FUEL!! Both are important otherwise your engine will literally explode.

There are three ways to do this:

1. Rechip the ECU and install bigger injectors. Possible, but I doubt anyone will do this for your custom turbo setup. You can make huge power this way.
2. Use an AFC Hack and bigger injectors. This is probably the most reasonable alternative, but will require you to install a MAP sensor on your intake manifold. You can make huge power this way.
3. Use a rising-rate FMU. This is low cost and rather old school. This is the way your dad used to turbocharge his car. The problem with this method is that it is not recommended for turbocharging beyond 6 or 7 psi. It will limit your power!!! Also, you will not be able to make this as efficient as rechipping or AFC hack methods.

There you go. Your car is making magnum power. Now you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Well do ya? Will your transmission and differential handle the power, or will they explode when you try to run 1000 hp through them? If you do it, let us know.

Based on my experience turbocharging hondas, assuming you have a shop, it will cost about $600/turbo, $300 for metal to make the manifolds and intake pipes, $150 for the intercooler, $600 for the electronics/injectors, $200 for the wideband and controller. That comes to just under $2500 for a do-it-yourself job.

Here is a very good guide for turbocharging a 4-cylinder honda engine. Everything in this guide can be "scaled" up for your M112 engine:

http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
I would be shocked if you could get a well made custom manifold for 300. most people would probably charge you at least a grand. This isn't a hond where you can throw junky *** parts on it and it runs forever, 150 intercooler from a saab isn't going to cut it. Honda's have about two feet of space in front of the engine to squeeze things in to, this car would need everything to be custom made, hence the problem. This is why you don't see alot of cheap custom home made kits going on modern cars, lack of space and complicated ecu's. There are almost no 350z's running around with homeade kits, same goes for the z4's, boxters, audi tt's, g35's and just about every other car in this class, as well as every other class. Cars like hondas and miatas are great for stuff like this because of the ease that the huge amount of space grants you, or even cars like my 240sx, but you would need someone very crafty to fit a fmic to our car, might be smarter to get a ram air hood, remove the engine cover and do a tmic.

If it was easy to turbo this car, you would have seen it done by now. One company had everything just about done but low and behold pictures of the final product never arrived. Many people have attempted or at least begun to attempt this, but it has not been done. The srt-6 swap is much more straight forward and still would allow you to make about 400whp if you have full on stage kits with methanol/water injection meanwhile retaining liveability and reliability. Then you still need to get an lsd on there, I wouldn't wan't to have a car with that much power and no lsd.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed

If it was easy to turbo this car, you would have seen it done by now. One company had everything just about done but low and behold pictures of the final product never arrived. Many people have attempted or at least begun to attempt this, but it has not been done. The srt-6 swap is much more straight forward and still would allow you to make about 400whp if you have full on stage kits with methanol/water injection meanwhile retaining liveability and reliability. Then you still need to get an lsd on there, I wouldn't wan't to have a car with that much power and no lsd.
Actually one company has already built up a full twin turbo set up, but they can't figure out how to run the damn thing, If I remember corectly I think it looks like a yellow and black bumble bee. it's just a rolling chassis that won't fire up, lol

Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
If it was easy to turbo this car, you would have seen it done by now.
With respect, I thought the title of this post was "Turbo Chargers". I think engine swaps - especially MB engine swaps (for example, AMG engines and V8's) are very cool, but like I said, this post is about turbos.

Regarding cost - I own a small 600 sq. foot shop and the requisite TIG/MIG, Plasma Cutting, Beadblasting, and other necessary equipment. After having built a few turbo setups, I think those numbers are dead on. Also I have to respectfully disagree - it is very easy to turbocharge a car. It is simply a matter of understanding how modern EFI systems work. Fuel, Air and Spark/Timing. That's it. The most complicated part is the Timing and Tuning. As you are very much a car guy I'm sure you know this already.

If you want, I would be happy to talk to you about turbocharging setups and ideas for how to get it done for the M112.

Last edited by sonoronos; 12-11-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Actually one company has already built up a full twin turbo set up, but they can't figure out how to run the damn thing, If I remember corectly I think it looks like a yellow and black bumble bee. it's just a rolling chassis that won't fire up, lol
Maxwell, that's a great story. This makes sense as the most difficult part of any homebrew turbo setup is the fuel enrichment under boost and the spark timing. Both of which are controlled by the MB ECU which is not as easy to decipher as other import cars. One day they will learn about FMU or AFC hacks and then it will run!

Then again the first person who really learns how to remap the stock Crossfire ECU will make $$$ on performance tuning!! The market is obviously out there.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you guys are talking about this car.....

10891[1].jpg

10880[1].jpg

Here is a link to the cardomain and HIN site and more pics of the car....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2646472

http://www.hotimportnights.com/news/...1UJN73B011B346

Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 PM

Anyone can strap some pipes with a turbo charger and attach it to a car, its just pipes and a turbo, the thing doesn't even run, what does that prove? not trying to have, just stating the obvious.

To the other poster, it is not that easy, there have been a number of shops that have attempted this and none of them could do it. We could talk about it all we wanted, fact is you would have alot of trouble with the ecu issue, just like everyone else. Again, not trying to be offensive, its just that a bunch of people have come in here talking about how "easy" this is to do, fact is that it isn't that easy. Of course if you own a shop its cheaper, but I gurantee this project would cost at least ten grand for the first person who undertakes it without even getting it installed, just getting everything test fitted and custom made would cost that much, let alone the fact they wouldn't have acar for a very long time. Srt-6 swap just makes more sense, trust me, I was once in your position, ask any of the old timers here, I was one of the biggest advocates of turbocharging and just modifying this car in general. I went to hotshot to try and get custom headers done, I was the first one to get speedinnovations to begin producing ecu modifications for our cars and would have kept going but could never drum any support up. I had also talked to a welding shop about gettinga custom turbo manifold done but no one hopped on that.

This topic has come and gone over and over for the almost five years I have been here and there has been no progress. I wish the best for you guys, just don't hold your breath for a turbo kit. And also, just save yourself five grand and do an engine swap, that why i mentioned an engine swap because two members are currently doing that so you guys will all have easy direction to get those done in a few months (and luckily for you guys its a v8 and an srt6 engine getting swapped). You can make more power safely on the srt-6 engine than you could on the base engine with a turbocharger. the srt-6 can handle over 400whp, the base engine, who knows, no one has approached those numbers on the stock block but I would venture to guess it couldn't handle that much considering its relatively high compression ratio. Then you are going to have to get custom engine building work done when you could have just spend five grand in the first place, followed hddp's directions and done the srt-6 swap and run high 12's stock all day, low 12's on slick, and probably 11's with about 3k in mods invested on slicks. Just makes more sense.

*end rant*

Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 PM

X,

Well, it sounds like it's been 5 years of shattered dreams for the people on this forum and that's too bad. But I still offer up my services for someone who is willing to pony up the money for the parts, metal, car and a little bit of labor for a one-off job.

I don't have any interest in making or selling a kit, but there are a lot of tools being used out there now to support turbocharged setups on M112 . None of them involve changing the ECU at all. This problem has come up in a lot of cars and the secret is to just receive the ECU signals and modify the timing and injector pulses based on the MAF/MAP sensors.

I would turbocharge my own car if it wasn't brand new. Maybe in about 6-7 years I will do it myself.

But I think the best thing I can do is just say, look, I will work with whoever wants to see it done and just put the information out there.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonoronos
X,

Well, it sounds like it's been 5 years of shattered dreams for the people on this forum and that's too bad. But I still offer up my services for someone who is willing to pony up the money for the parts, metal, car and a little bit of labor for a one-off job.

I don't have any interest in making or selling a kit, but there are a lot of tools being used out there now to support turbocharged setups on M112 . None of them involve changing the ECU at all. This problem has come up in a lot of cars and the secret is to just receive the ECU signals and modify the timing and injector pulses based on the MAF/MAP sensors.

I would turbocharge my own car if it wasn't brand new. Maybe in about 6-7 years I will do it myself.

But I think the best thing I can do is just say, look, I will work with whoever wants to see it done and just put the information out there.

i think your other car would be a much better canidate for the turbo and i think this thread should DIE

Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 PM

i think your other car would be a much better canidate for the turbo and i think this thread should DIE
Quoted for troof.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 PM

I'm just waiting for LantanTX to prove he can get the Mercedes ecu unlocked, then I'm ordering an SRT ecu and get that programmed to my vin, if this works then we're in! otherwise I'm out $950 on an ecu : (

Old 12-14-2007, 06:27 AM

bump for irwin. Did someone say turbo corolla?

anyways, the turbo Crossfire will live one day!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
boosted.jpg (100.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by sonoronos; 12-14-2007 at 03:35 PM.