Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

SRT Engine vs Stock

Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT Engine vs Stock

Hi This might have been asked already somewhere, but what is the differance between the Supercharged engine and the stock engine? are they the same except for the supercharger. if that is the case why can you not just install the supercharger on the reg V6?

I agree with some other who like a manual trans but would like to have the power of the supercharged engine.

Has anyone ever gotten this engine up to 400+ hp? Benz or any other car?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 AM
Life is random...so am I.
Default Re: SRT Engine vs Stock

To put it simple...(because this topic's been beat tho death!).....you'd also need to change the pistons, possibly crank and rods, and all the electronics, as well as the intake, etc. etc. etc.!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes 400 hp to the crank is easily reachable... to the wheels? I belive it has not been done...

Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by almecum
Hi This might have been asked already somewhere, but what is the differance between the Supercharged engine and the stock engine? are they the same except for the supercharger. if that is the case why can you not just install the supercharger on the reg V6?

I agree with some other who like a manual trans but would like to have the power of the supercharged engine.

Has anyone ever gotten this engine up to 400+ hp? Benz or any other car?
Ok, you are asking three different questions:

1. What's the difference between the M112 and M112 AMG? Most likely the entire top end of the engine, excluding the block and the shared sodium-filled valves. This would include rods, pistons, valve seats, valve springs, cams, bearings, lifters, injectors, intake and exhaust ports, etc. I'm quite sure that everything in the bottom end including the oil pump, water pump, crankshaft, crankshaft bearings, etc are identical between the two.

2. Can the stock M112 engine make 400 hp? In my opinion, yes! It comes stock with forged conrods, pistons, and has fairly good oil and coolant flow around the heads. Will it be reliable? CERTAINLY UNTIL IT BLOWS UP. Think about it. The engine is putting out twice as much heat as it was designed to, putting 17% more strain on the bottom end components, and there is probably some inflamed fellow behind the wheel. If you baby the engine, rarely rev it above 3000 rpm and only use the extra power for passing, then you will get more life out of it.

3. Has anyone done it? Probably not. Why would they? The stock M112 is an incredibly good engine and the rest of the car is a luxurious cruiser. It's a quiet cocooned interior that makes you feel like you are driving something special. Why would they spend money to change that?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Ok, you are asking three different questions:

1. What's the difference between the M112 and M112 AMG? Most likely the entire top end of the engine, excluding the block and the shared sodium-filled valves. This would include rods, pistons, valve seats, valve springs, cams, bearings, lifters, injectors, intake and exhaust ports, etc. I'm quite sure that everything in the bottom end including the oil pump, water pump, crankshaft, crankshaft bearings, etc are identical between the two.

2. Can the stock M112 engine make 400 hp? In my opinion, yes! It comes stock with forged conrods, pistons, and has fairly good oil and coolant flow around the heads. Will it be reliable? CERTAINLY UNTIL IT BLOWS UP. Think about it. The engine is putting out twice as much heat as it was designed to, putting 17% more strain on the bottom end components, and there is probably some inflamed fellow behind the wheel. If you baby the engine, rarely rev it above 3000 rpm and only use the extra power for passing, then you will get more life out of it.

3. Has anyone done it? Probably not. Why would they? The stock M112 is an incredibly good engine and the rest of the car is a luxurious cruiser. It's a quiet cocooned interior that makes you feel like you are driving something special. Why would they spend money to change that?
The oil pump, water pump and crankshaft are different also. The crankshaft for the srt is almost double the price of the standard one.

Last edited by robby363; 12-13-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks robby.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 AM

Just thought you might want to know

Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Thumbs up Re: SRT Engine vs Stock

Thanks for the information.

I like my car fun to drive and good looking. I just hear everyone talking about making it faster. I dont think I will its my daily driver maybe a little tweeking but not much.

Next Purchase is a C5 Corvette...but I still love my daily driver...and will most likly keep it for a long time.