Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Fuel types and mileage

Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel types and mileage

We have two Crossfires , an SRT and a Roadster, we live in Missouri where there is forced 10% ethanol in the fuel.
On two recent trips out of state in each car we have observed..
The manual shifting Roadster easily gets 28mpg out of state and only 25-26mpg with the ethanol - the drive was over 600miles
The auto stick SRT returned an amazing 26mpg on a 2400mile trip - usually around Missouri it struggles to make 22mpg..

I am told that ethanol is extremely corrosive and potentially a big problem if left sitting in vehicles.
Should we be trekking into Kansas to get ethanol free gas?

Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Default Re: Fuel types and mileage

Sorry I haven't responded earlier - work, it's a killer!
The amount of Ethanol in the gasoline we purchase today will not do any harm to your engine. The lousy mileage you experienced is normal. BUT, whether or not you have Ethanol in your mix depends on whether or not the price of Ethanol is less than the bulk price of the gas your gas station purchases. If the cost is less than gas, you have Ethanol in the mix, if not, you don't. Ethanol prices vary just like gasoline & it is produced locally. Since there are no distribution pipelines for Ethanol it has to be transported by diesel eating tankers. Ethanol cannot be pumped through the same pipelines as gasoline, the lines will be destroyed.
At least here in WI the amount of Ethanol in the gas is limited by law, 10% is the max you can mix with gas here in Cheeseland. A few stations do not mix Ethanol with premium; if you're really concerned you can try asking the attendant though he or she may not know.
Bottom line, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the mix. At least here in the Heartland it's here to stay.......well, unless our politicians can begin to see that it's certainly NOT the answer to our fuel woes. I doubt if the farm lobby will let them.
As to the PM guys: they were the days indeed! They don't make music like they used to !

Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit and Kat

I am told that ethanol is extremely corrosive and potentially a big problem if left sitting in vehicles.
Should we be trekking into Kansas to get ethanol free gas?

My 6 is gonna dissolve into a big steamy pile soon then as I am running 85% Ethanol almost all the time. I've never taken the car on an all highway trip on E85 yet(but will be doing so next weekend) but I do know the city driving mileage is around 11-12mpg............my right pedal is always on the floor for some reason.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
My 6 is gonna dissolve into a big steamy pile soon then as I am running 85% Ethanol almost all the time. I've never taken the car on an all highway trip on E85 yet(but will be doing so next weekend) but I do know the city driving mileage is around 11-12mpg............my right pedal is always on the floor for some reason.
Ah, but you're cheatin' though, you snuck a conversion kit in yours!
You are correct...........say, did you have to replace the fuel lines with the kit?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurts
Ah, but you're cheatin' though, you snuck a conversion kit in yours!
You are correct...........say, did you have to replace the fuel lines with the kit?

All cars built 1988 and newer are capable of handling E85.............most people dont know this information.