Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Car died - clutch pedal flat?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died - clutch pedal flat?

Today the weirdest thing happened... driving my 05 base coupe w/ 31k miles and stopped at a red light. When I went to let out the clutch to roll forward a bit, it almost stalled. I thought that maybe my foot slipped off the clutch or something so I pushed it back down. Then when I went to ease the clutch out again, it lurched and died.

I put it in neutral and started it up. But when I went to put it in gear it wouldnt go in gear. I freaked, looked in the engine bay, etc., then noticed the clutch pedal was flat against the floor. I pulled it out by hand, started the car, and it was driving like normal again.

Maybe this was a fluke, but I need to know if this is a symptom of a major problem. Tried searching but never saw anything relevant.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car died - clutch pedal flat?

Clutch Pedal to the floor means that nothing is pushing back against the clutch master cylinder.

Happens when you are low on clutch fluid or there is air in the system.

If you haven't already done so it might be time to check, bleed, and replace the fluid in your clutch system. It's something you want to do every year anyways.

The other possibility is this:

The clutch operates a piston against a clutch fork, which pushes against the clutch to disengage the clutch from the flywheel. If the clutch pack spring fails, or the slave cylinder actuator slips off the clutch fork, then you will lose clutch pedal travel.

But neither of those conditions are temporary like you showed...

Last edited by sonoronos; 10-20-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car died - clutch pedal flat?

I called my dad and he also said it might be air in the clutch fluid. Although it is weird that it worked fine since pulling the pedal back up.