Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Valve cover leak...

Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Valve cover leak...

Nope.....

Funny that you should pop this up today.... I just re-did both sides on the Aero yesterday. They were leaking again and when I pulled the breather covers the gasket was stuck very well to the breathers but not to the valve covers.... so I made sure that I cleaned both really good again and used naptha on the valve covers to get all the oil off.... then I used a little(?) extra RTV material to make sure I got a good 'squish' on the bottom sides where they always seem to leak..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
Nope.....

Funny that you should pop this up today.... I just re-did both sides on the Aero yesterday. They were leaking again and when I pulled the breather covers the gasket was stuck very well to the breathers but not to the valve covers.... so I made sure that I cleaned both really good again and used naptha on the valve covers to get all the oil off.... then I used a little(?) extra RTV material to make sure I got a good 'squish' on the bottom sides where they always seem to leak..
The secret to a good seal with RTV is a consistently wide and thick bead. That way when the parts are clamped together there is an equal force all around on the RTV. If you have a thick and thin bead the thin areas will have hardly any clamping force on them and blow easily.
An evenly spaced bolt pattern, evenly torqued bolts and evenly applied RTV will provide the best seal. I would say the breathers may possibly be unevenly clamped due to the screw spacing just by looking at them.
That's my opinion anyway.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Nope.....

I just re-did both sides on the Aero yesterday. They were leaking again and when I pulled the breather covers the gasket was stuck very well to the breathers but not to the valve covers.... so I made sure that I cleaned both really good again and used naptha on the valve covers to get all the oil off.... then I used a little(?) extra RTV material to make sure I got a good 'squish' on the bottom sides where they always seem to leak..
After seeing this above, I performed an inspection of my breather covers yesterday. No sign yet of the oil leak resurfacing. It's been over 7 months since I did the original repair. I did use a different RTV compound than MikeR reported originally. Will continue to watch for any recurrence of oil leak. It would be good for all if we could identify a preferred gasket maker compound for this repair.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I over torqued my breathers the first time.... I was a little more liberal with the sealant and lighter on the torque this last time and feel I got a better seal. I also cleaned the actual valve cover with naptha to get all the oil off and allow the sealant to stick good and let everything sit for over 24 hours to cure as stated in instructions for sealant.

I dont think it was the type of sealant I used as much as me not getting the surfaces really clean/dry and not allowing the sealant to cure before driving. Fortunately it is a fairly easy task and is just a nuisance to do over.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM

I think I over torqued my breathers the first time.... I was a little more liberal with the sealant and lighter on the torque this last time and feel I got a better seal. I also cleaned the actual valve cover with naptha to get all the oil off and allow the sealant to stick good and let everything sit for over 24 hours to cure as stated in instructions for sealant.

I dont think it was the type of sealant I used as much as me not getting the surfaces really clean/dry and not allowing the sealant to cure before driving. Fortunately it is a fairly easy task and is just a nuisance to do over.
I have a little leak that I am keeping an eye on, just a wee trace of oil showing. I do not look forward to doing them, so I'll tweak the bolts a little some time. I suspect that these bolts grow in length over time and do not apply sufficient force on the seal over time.
They say to use sensor safe RTV, I'm not too sure if that is vital but why take a chance.
The secret to the successful use of RTV is the evenness of the bead, clean faces, following the makers instructions to the letter and the correct torque on the new bolts in our case.
Then cross your fingers.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .02:

Don't over do it on the sealant. Just enough to fill the notch with a slight contour is more than sufficient. If you notice an excess of sealant squeezed out from under the cover when tightening (a little is ok) then you may have too much.

In my experiences with engine teardowns reveal that it is very commonplace for people to overuse these types of sealants, and excess sealant can plug all kinds of important oil passageways, although if its just used on the valve cover's "cover" I don't think theres any need to worry.

I second the comments regarding prepping the surfaces and adhering to the specific sealant guidelines. The sealant I used (I believe it was the Ultra Black) specified additional torqing of the bolts after the 1st hour, this is very important, with full curing taking 24 hrs. I would recommend against some of the fast drying stuff, Permatex now offers an aerosol product that boasts 1hr full curing time. Avoid using any type of metallic bristed brush if possible, especially if they tend to "shed".

For what its worth I replaced the valve cover gaskets and resealed the additional covers with sealant and haven't had any issues this far, I also used box store's metric fasteners as the previous owner or dealer stripped the bolts while torqing previously.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (06-26-2023)
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by shaverj
My .02:

Don't over do it on the sealant. Just enough to fill the notch with a slight contour is more than sufficient. If you notice an excess of sealant squeezed out from under the cover when tightening (a little is ok) then you may have too much.

In my experiences with engine teardowns reveal that it is very commonplace for people to overuse these types of sealants, and excess sealant can plug all kinds of important oil passageways, although if its just used on the valve cover's "cover" I don't think theres any need to worry.

I second the comments regarding prepping the surfaces and adhering to the specific sealant guidelines. The sealant I used (I believe it was the Ultra Black) specified additional torqing of the bolts after the 1st hour, this is very important, with full curing taking 24 hrs. I would recommend against some of the fast drying stuff, Permatex now offers an aerosol product that boasts 1hr full curing time. Avoid using any type of metallic bristed brush if possible, especially if they tend to "shed".

For what its worth I replaced the valve cover gaskets and resealed the additional covers with sealant and haven't had any issues this far, I also used box store's metric fasteners as the previous owner or dealer stripped the bolts while torqing previously.
There are well documented problems with using steel screws in magnesium and magnesium alloys. Galvanic action can occur when an electrolyte is present. Also as magnesium is brittle it cannot take too much deformation. Tightening screws puts a shearing action on the threads and the steel is much stronger so all the deformation is done by the alloy.
The screws specified by DC for this application was a special screw that will break before the thread in the head and covers will strip.
Steel screws when used are often plated to prevent or resist galvanic action from occurring.
As the OEM screws cost more I would say that had it not been of some importance the cheaper screws would have been used. Why risk damage to the threads in the block and covers for a few dollars savings?

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (06-26-2023)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose one of mine has the leak...microscopic thin layer .....if it never gets significantly worse....I'm thinking I'll leave it alone. Fred's never going to be a show car.....I'm hoping to eventually break the high miles record before I die.

I took the fuel filter & instructions to an NTB today.....they said $65 to install......they put it up on the rack....looked at it for 10 minutes & gave up.....

Last edited by Chris L.; 04-20-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good link for MB valve cover oil baffle leak, (RTV seal redo) and spark plug service. M112 engine in the Crossfire.
Foreign Motorworks' Car Tips

Last edited by bspence; 04-20-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Olathe Chrysler (KC area) wanted $299 to install a fuel filter & $140 for an oil change.......= $439

I bought a Mann fuel filter & provided the oil & oil filter....local labor.....total parts & labor = $149

I think I'll take the old lady out to eat tonight on the $290.00 I saved !!!

Last edited by Chris L.; 04-26-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by bspence
Very good link for MB valve cover oil baffle leak, (RTV seal redo) and spark plug service. M112 engine in the Crossfire.
THAT was an interesting read. I wonder which version of the M112 our cars have.\:

M112 Engines
112, 112.975 8.5qts
112.916, 112.953 7.9qts

Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Found out the hard way earlier this morning while fixing the DS breather cover. Wrung the top off of one of the aluminum Torx socket head cap screws during final tightening. Lucky the material was aluminum. It was simple to extract the screw with an "easy-out". These really have to be only snug tight. I'd recommend nothing more than 1/8 turn after snug.

Anyway, went to local M-B dealer for replacement screws. Absolutely no help. Got the impression he didn't want to assist me once I said the screw came off a Crossfire with their 3.2L engine in it. Screw them!

Went to Chrysler dealer down the road a piece. Parts guy was helpful and found the screw I was looking for during his search. Printed me a copy of the attached. Unfortunately, didn't have these screws so I special ordered them out of Gainsville, GA warehouse. He told me I should have them within 3-4 days. $4 each. OUCH! $20 to replace all 5.

Since I didn't want the XFire to be out of service for a single M5-.80x16 cap screw, I went to Lowe's and looked in the metric fastener section in hardware. Low & behold I found M5-.80x16 regular SHCS's for $0.80 each. $4 to replace all 5 on the 3.2L! But if you do this, take extra precaution. The normal SHCS's are Grade 12.9 steel and the valve covers are cast aluminum. So it's easy to strip out threads if you over-tighten. Let the Permatex Gasket Maker compound do the work.

I'll start up the XFire later today & look for any catastrophic leaks. Hopefully, I won't find any. Then it will be only necessary to inspect the valve covers after driving around town the next couple of weeks to make sure that the ongoing leak is eliminated. Gotta have this resolved before Dragon weekend.

Later,
I have to do my valve cover gaskets. I just go the car and noticed oil coming from the cover. Good write up on the process.

I found these at McMaster Carr are these the correct screws, I know they are socket head but they should work...think?
Metric 316 SS Socket Head Cap Screw M5 Thread, 16mm Length, .8mm Pitch P/N 92290A232

Thanks

OldSalt

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldSalt
I have to do my valve cover gaskets. I just go the car and noticed oil coming from the cover. Good write up on the process.

I found these at McMaster Carr are these the correct screws, I know they are socket head but they should work...think?
Metric 316 SS Socket Head Cap Screw M5 Thread, 16mm Length, .8mm Pitch P/N 92290A232

Thanks

OldSalt
Those screws will work fine. They are the same size I used during my repair of breather covers. Torque settings on these will be much less than the larger screws that hold the valve covers on the heads.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by bspence
There are much better write ups on the baffle oil leak fix on this forum and with colored pictures too.

Remember this forum knows more than a Crossfire technician, its free and we don't put greasy palm prints all over your car either. Win Win.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There are much better write ups on the baffle oil leak fix on this forum and with colored pictures too.

Remember this forum knows more than a Crossfire technician, its free and we don't put greasy palm prints all over your car either. Win Win.
Is the link with the colored pictures in this link you provided?

OldSalt

Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldSalt
Is the link with the colored pictures in this link you provided?

OldSalt
No, this one.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post436728

Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided to fix that pesky oil leak on the small covers on the valve covers today
Just found this thread and want to clarify that your great photo's and instructions using a liquid gasket is indeed for the Breather Cover and not the Valve Cover as posted? The breather cover sits on top of the valve cover....right?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by tonygg
Just found this thread and want to clarify that your great photo's and instructions using a liquid gasket is indeed for the Breather Cover and not the Valve Cover as posted? The breather cover sits on top of the valve cover....right?
Correct. IMO - The Breather Covers are more prone to oil leakage than the Valve Covers. Others may offer different opinion.

But in any case, a leak from either could be viewed as a Valve Cover leak. Most of us are only familiar with a leak betweem the Valve Cover & Head. But in the case of this engine design, the Valve Cover can leak on the bottom & the top. Go Figure!

Later,

Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Correct. IMO - The Breather Covers are more prone to oil leakage than the Valve Covers. Others may offer different opinion.

But in any case, a leak from either could be viewed as a Valve Cover leak. Most of us are only familiar with a leak betweem the Valve Cover & Head. But in the case of this engine design, the Valve Cover can leak on the bottom & the top. Go Figure!

Later,
Thanks, much appreciated. I don't have any leaks right now with the exception of a very very small leak at one of the breather covers....no big deal at the moment...but I like being informed and prepared.....
Looking forward to the Tail of the Dragon...four weeks to go!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks for all of the great information in this thread. I've had my Crossfire for 4 days and I plan to be resealing the breather covers this weekend!

R

Quick Reply: Valve cover leak...