Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

oil consumption

Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption

Hello,
I am new to this site and still learning my way around.
I have a question that perhaps someone can help me with.
I have 2004 Cross. it has 60k miles.
Since my last oil change (approx. 8k ago) I have discovered that I have had to add two quarts of oil.
I had it checked out and there are no leaks on the undercarriage or other parts of the engine.
It does NOT show signs of burning oil from the exhaust.
The car is handled with care, not driven hard and only used locally.
Has anyone had this problem or know of someone who has?
Thanks much,
Glenn

Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: oil consumption

Welcome to the forum. Oil consumption is not normal. Do you still have the plastic splash shield on the bottom of the engine? If so, it could be catching the oil and dispersing it when you drive.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And, you should change your oil after no more than 7.5K miles.

Welcome aboard.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you change your oil or do you have a shop change it?

Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM

oil consumption means 1 of 2 things, or both.

rings are on their way out
valve stem seals

most oil burning you dont see, especially with cats, as they catalize everything.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:29 PM

damn......with only 60k miles?
thanks !!!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 PM

yes I have the oil changed my a mechanic

Old 11-26-2009, 01:35 PM

i will have it changed from now on at 6k and keep an eye on it........i hope it isn't the rings or stem values.....but it sure sounds that way.
thanks for your help

Old 11-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Is there any chance the guy changing it is putting in 6 quarts instead of 8 ?

or...

Any chance he isn't using a new o-ring on the drain plug? This could lead to a slow leak.

I just find it hard to believe that an engine with only 60,000 on it is using two quarts of oil in 8,000 miles.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 PM

So how often have you been changing your oil? Since you said your seeing the oil loss at 8k miles and the recommended oil changes are at 7k miles indicates you have not been changing your oil frequent enough.

Also, as pizzaguy said, maybe your mechanic is shorting your oil refills.

What kind of oil has your mechanic been using?

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 11-26-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by My2nis
yes I have the oil changed my a mechanic
How long after the mechanic changed it did you have to add the oil? It's possible he didn't put the right amount in.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 PM

good point......i will take care of business in a flash and make sure there is a full crankcase.....thanks much......

Old 11-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am with the others, too many older mechanics are still on the 5 quart syndrome. It takes 8 1/2....and never leave a repair shop, or lube center without having them check the dip stick right in front of you. Most of these places use a bulk oil system, and if they don't check it and leave it up to the dispensor, and the dispensor shut off early, you are screwed...you paid, you have them show you the stick...a good shop will do that anyway...

Old 11-27-2009, 01:52 PM

thanks everyone,
for some reason i thought that syn. oil is changed 8-9 k
didnt think about the o ring......will do
well i was charged for 9 quarts, but as you said......it must be checked before leaving......uffa!
lets see.....i think i have replied to everything.....
incrocio le miei dita (i cross my fingers)
THANKS,
Glenn

Old 11-27-2009, 02:14 PM

I would start checking your dip stick youself if you aren't already and keep an eye on it. I'll bet there is nothing wrong wit your car and someone either underfilled it and then latter sold you some more oil. Be sure to use the right oil as well.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Forum Regular

I'm sure the FSS on the car would be freaking out if the mechanic left it 2 qts. low. Mine was overfilled by a quart one time and it was going nuts.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Forum Regular

I'm not familiar enough with these motors to comment on the oil consumption, but in general, 2 qts in 8k miles doesn't seem like an excessive amount. It really depends on the engine as some are prone to what many would consider excessive oil loss. There is also variability between motors, which is why some dyno higher or lower than others. My last car was a 2006 VW GTI with the 2.0l turbo motor and it used a quart every 3k miles. That isn't considered a problem however and from everything I've read, VW considers 1 qt every 1k miles or less to be a problem. I think the OPs best bet would be to head over to the mercedes forums and see how other vehicles using the same motor are performing. I personally have not lost any oil between changes, but the car has only had 2 oil changes.

This isn't the end of the world, IMO. You could always ask a mercedes-specific forum or a local mechanic who knows his way around mercedes cars. To me, the oil loss being described doesn't sound horrible. Then again, it's a fair amount more oil than I'm losing, which is imperceptible.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just started having this same prob. i have a 04 crossfire. and every 8k miles or so im about a quart and a half low wen the light comes on. like wtf! this guy seems like it makes sence. i do drive her hard time to time. no signs of leaks or oil out of the exhuast. i did do a rear cat delete idk if that makes a diff or w,e. please help thanks

Originally Posted by AllEuro
I'm not familiar enough with these motors to comment on the oil consumption, but in general, 2 qts in 8k miles doesn't seem like an excessive amount. It really depends on the engine as some are prone to what many would consider excessive oil loss. There is also variability between motors, which is why some dyno higher or lower than others. My last car was a 2006 VW GTI with the 2.0l turbo motor and it used a quart every 3k miles. That isn't considered a problem however and from everything I've read, VW considers 1 qt every 1k miles or less to be a problem. I think the OPs best bet would be to head over to the mercedes forums and see how other vehicles using the same motor are performing. I personally have not lost any oil between changes, but the car has only had 2 oil changes.

This isn't the end of the world, IMO. You could always ask a mercedes-specific forum or a local mechanic who knows his way around mercedes cars. To me, the oil loss being described doesn't sound horrible. Then again, it's a fair amount more oil than I'm losing, which is imperceptible.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

or...

Any chance he isn't using a new o-ring on the drain plug? This could lead to a slow leak.

I just find it hard to believe that an engine with only 60,000 on it is using two quarts of oil in 8,000 miles.
These cars do not use O-Rings on the sump plug, they use a copper crush washer. Use an O-Ring and you will have trouble.
If you have a leak from the drain plug you will find oil all under the rear of the car as it does does not drip out only when its stationary. Even if it drips into the pan it will slowly inch to the back of the pan and fly out.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

or...

I had same question and thought as pizza. Maybe the last change didn't put in enough oil. I'd definately look for leaks as well, and maybe do a compression check. Seems a bit odd that it would be 2 quarts low, even after 8K miles since the last change unless it has a significant leak or was low to begin with. Do you check it regularly? Do you know about the ability to check th level electronically on the dash? Read the owners manual for the instructions.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Quick Reply: oil consumption