Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

oil consumption

Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil consumption

I did the oil change an I put 9 quarts in. I know that for a fact. There is no leak signs on the ground and the exhaust seems oil free. I do not have a rear cats either. I have prob put 2 quarts in like 3 times since I owned the car. Always after 7 to 8 k miles. Never really thought anything of it. And what's the o ring thing 2 posts up?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Forum Regular

I used the oil requested. Mobil1 0-w40. If I went to a lil thicker oil would that make a lil of a diff. Possitive or negitive?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest to use only the recommended oil & weight.

My car has 85k now and after 7k miles between oil changes (I depend on the FSS) it has been down 1 quart.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crossfire725,

What you haven't told us yet is HOW you drive the car.

If you are doing a lot of high rpm driving, then your engine is going to have a tendency to burn more oil than a car that is only used on Saturdays by a little old lady to go to the grocery store 2 blocks over, never exceeding 2500 rpms the whole way.

If you get any oil hot enough, and the engine spinning quickly, some of the oil will turn into oil mist, and then get sucked into the crank case ventilation system, which then gets ingested by the throttle body, and burned nice and cleanly, with no signs of any blue smoke.

The other thing to do is to pop off the engine cover, and look at the various seams on the valve covers, and see if your valve covers are leaking engine oil that way. If your engine hasn't leaked oil from the covers as of yet, you're luckier than quite a few other owners. Bat's '08 Roadster had to have the covers done on her car at only 12k miles.

BC.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Point well taken on the Valve Covers.

I got 13k on my 2007 and the driver side cover is leaking, and it ain't a pretty sight.

Usually if this is the case, when you pull the oil splash pan and look up towards the engine bottom, you will see telltale signs of oil that are impossible to miss.

I still got warranty, but hate to bring it to Chrysler service, I might wait for the winter thaw, and just fix it by my lonesome...

(When you shut down the engine, and look below the spark plugs, you will sometimes see some light smoke rising, (it's the oil hitting the hot engine))...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 12-03-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Make sure when you have the oil changed that the Service Tech (title may be a stretch - hah!) puts in 8 QUARTS of oil. The 3.2 Liter M-B V6 requires 8 LITERS of oil during an oil change. That turns out to be around 8.5 QUARTS. If the Service Tech is overfilling by adding 9 QUARTS, you could have your answer on oil usage. And you stated earlier in this thread that you were charged for 9 QUARTS!

To give you an idea of how sensitive the XFire is on this, during the Fall ToD GTG this past October, my 07 had the excessive oil level warning light come on several times during our 'spirited' drive along US-129. And I had just performed an oil change a couple of months earlier and added the 8.5 QUARTS of oil. I extracted about 1/2 quart when I got home. Dropped the oil level just under the MAX reading on the dip stick.

It is always better to underfill the sump than it is to overfill it. Then just watch your oil level and when it's time to add a Full Quart, go ahead & do so. The fact that an engine uses a little oil isn't a bad thing. All engines aren't really completely sealed tight or they wouldn't run. Consuming a quart of oil between changes isn't really a major issue. If you're down a quart when it's near time to change the oil (7500 miles), change the oil! What you have to watch for is excessive oil usage, which is an indicator of something bigger.

And I 2nd that on looking for the leaks from the crankcase breather covers that are mounted on top of the valve covers. These are prone to leaking oil and it can be considerable if left alone for some time. But the good news is that it's an easy fix and there are several threads in The Forum to help you with this repair.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-04-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Crossfire725,

If you are doing a lot of high rpm driving, then your engine is going to have a tendency to burn more oil than a car that is only used on Saturdays by a little old lady to go to the grocery store 2 blocks over, never exceeding 2500 rpms the whole way.

If you get any oil hot enough, and the engine spinning quickly, some of the oil will turn into oil mist, and then get sucked into the crank case ventilation system, which then gets ingested by the throttle body, and burned nice and cleanly, with no signs of any blue smoke.

The other thing to do is to pop off the engine cover, and look at the various seams on the valve covers, and see if your valve covers are leaking engine oil that way. If your engine hasn't leaked oil from the covers as of yet, you're luckier than quite a few other owners. Bat's '08 Roadster had to have the covers done on her car at only 12k miles.

BC.

well i drive my car pretty hard and yes my drives side valve cover has signs of leakage....so change both gaskets i guess. so ya i do drive her hard time to time so 2 quarts in 8k m may not been bad, i was dragging her too time to time.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular

Sounds like the last BMW I owned. The only car I have owned in something like 15 years that consumed oil. I purchased the damn thing new and it was never abused. It should not have burned any oil but it did. Have heard of the same issues with some Audi's.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Crossfire725,

BC.
Well I know this is an old thread but I am facing the same issue.. oil disappearing.. and reading the response above I qualify as a guy that take the highway every day and runs a lot for at least 100 miles every day. So I believe I am not the lady living close to grocery store ahahahaha... but I am curious about the crank case ventilation system... what should I do ? change the crank case hose or what ? many thanks guys!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoelRamon
........ but I am curious about the crank case ventilation system... what should I do ? change the crank case hose or what ? many thanks guys!

Oil consumption isn't going to stop by replacing a hose UNLESS you see it leaking all over the place (as in oil all over the engine/bay). The fact your losing oil (either burning or leaking) tells me you can easily find a leak but there are a lot of places you need to look at for 'burning' of oil. IF your sucking it into the intake (oil, lots, in one or both of them hoses), it could be expensive. I would CHECK the crankcase vet hoses (I believe there are 2) for oil in them. An oil catch can could limit that oil (if present) from getting sucked into the intake. Where it comes from and where it is going will determine how much you might have to fix. Good luck on this one!

Old 05-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

How many miles on this car? Many more miles than in the following thread of yours? Maybe the previous owner did not look after it too well.

This was a post of yours in January 2015.
Hi

Recently I ran the smog check and the tester told me the car looks like it is new. However, I noticed my exhaust are dark even my bumper is getting dark... I took the freeway almost everyday in a total of 70 miles .. my car is 92k miles and every two weeks I need to replace a quarter of oil at least.

I do not have leakage.. I had one my I changed the gasket by myself and that's fine now..

The question is... this oil reduction is my pistols and valves ? if yes, how the smog test passed without problems?

Many thanks

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-14-2017 at 09:07 AM.