Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Marvel Mystery Oil

Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marvel Mystery Oil

I have owned many cars and hot rods...I have always used Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank now and then to keep the carb, valves,etc,,free of deposits..I have no physical evidence that this helped, but cars always seemed to run smooth..Since my 2004 Crossfire Limited is newest car I ever owned (58yrs) I was wondering if I should use this product in my Crossfire as well? The car is just shy of 40,000 miles and runs like a top..I live in NY and in my county(Dutchess) the gas is required to have 10% ethanol..I just want to keep the injectors etc clean..What are your feelings on this? Thanks for listening....Wayne

Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

I have never put MM oil in my 2004 crossfire, but i have used it in my 2000 oldsmobile alero. it was a fuel infected V6, and i did notice better performance and MPG. Like you though ive put it in every carborated car i have owned. Also it is good as an oil additive in the older cars. I had an engine sit for 5 years, and it locked up. i poured MM oil into the engine and down through the heads, 2 hours later i was able to turn the block by hand, and eventually got it to start. I dont know what is in that bottle, but I always have one close.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Received 387 Likes on 334 Posts

Like those commercials for JGWentworth, its your money, use it when you want to. Page 223 of my owners manual says 10% ethanol use is permitted. Page 224 of same owners manual under item "Materials added to fuel" states "Use of additional detergents or other additives is not needed under normal conditions and would result in unnecessary cost". So, its your money, use it when you want to! I do use a product to remove moisture in the fuel tank about once a year. You never can control the water content of the fuel you buy!

Only additive I use regularly (every oil change) is engine oil treatment. I use it because it coats moving parts and sticks to it after long periods of inactivity. It keeps those parts coated for when the car is first started (where most engine wear occures in normal use) until circulated oil replenishes the entire system. Sure wished cars came with an electric oil pumping system that would kick on for a few seconds before engine start (maybe wired into the 'opening' of a drivers door, or door unlock!).

Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the replies...I am curious as to which engine additive that you use for coating internal parts? I currently use Lucas oil additive in my older hotrods..I have not added any to the crossfire yet...Anybody use a product that they recommend or that they do NOT recommend using?..Thanks....Wayne

Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 387 Likes on 334 Posts
Wink Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Kaiser, I have been using the generic STP from wal-mart for the other two vehicles but since I bought the XF, they have not carried it anymore. When I changed the oil last august in my XF, I used STP engine oil treatment. Before I used it, I asked STP if it was certified for use in an engine that required synthetic oil. STP replied it is certified safe and compatable with all oils including blends and full synthetic. Since the XF uses almost twice the oil of new vehicles today, I use two 15oz bottles. By far the cheapest enging protection. In my opinion, all the rest are just more expensive versions of Ole reliable. In this case, cheaper IS both better, and cost effective. Again, until engine manufacturers provide for oil flow before cranking, use STP. Don't forget to follow their mixing instructions for the volume of oil used! IMHO, the concerns with the FSS and 'feelie good' concerns with 'othe'r brands of products, do not justify paying those prices.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STP to Stop That Pounding