Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed

Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed

Originally Posted by syfi
Would the free-er flowing Magnaflows be usable on this turbo setup? Or are they too long?
Hang on to them if you already have them. The kit will probably come with something and you could customize your own set up if desired.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been following this thread and the kit is sounding great! I really hope it works out. I love my 04 but it could use a bit more power (like there is ever enough). It appears that there has been some great input and things have really been thought out. I like the idea of being able to keep the stock exhaust tip. Thanks Lantana

Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire451
I've been following this thread and the kit is sounding great! I really hope it works out. I love my 04 but it could use a bit more power (like there is ever enough). It appears that there has been some great input and things have really been thought out. I like the idea of being able to keep the stock exhaust tip. Thanks Lantana
If you're in Nashville, you have seriously been missing out on some fun times. Several locals get together often. Once I get the kit installed, I'll let you check it out in person.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Looking forward to seeing it, maybe at cars and coffee

Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crossfire451
Looking forward to seeing it, maybe at cars and coffee
Definitely!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM

So, I'm thinking about picking up some roadster bracing for the underbody. If you notice, both underside shots we've seen in this thread show roadsters...

Since I'm sending my car down for "prototyping" it might be advantageous for the roadster owners if I install those braces on my car. That way, he can design the kit around the bracing. Otherwise, the roadster owners will be SOL because if he designs this on a coupe w/ no bracing, the fit won't be guaranteed on the roadsters.

Can anyone source the part numbers for those braces? I've always wanted them anyways for added rigidity (cornering).

Thanks,

Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JHM2K
So, I'm thinking about picking up some roadster bracing for the underbody. If you notice, both underside shots we've seen in this thread show roadsters...

Since I'm sending my car down for "prototyping" it might be advantageous for the roadster owners if I install those braces on my car. That way, he can design the kit around the bracing. Otherwise, the roadster owners will be SOL because if he designs this on a coupe w/ no bracing, the fit won't be guaranteed on the roadsters.

Can anyone source the part numbers for those braces? I've always wanted them anyways for added rigidity (cornering).

Thanks,
What if you add them and he some how incorporates them into the design where we would need them? (just thinking out loud)

Old 11-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by frankeyser
What if you add them and he some how incorporates them into the design where we would need them? (just thinking out loud)
The goal here is to make the kit as simple as possible. I will stress to him that the kit should be designed to allow for the brackets to be there, but not require them to be present. Although, the center brace spanning across the muffler WOULD make a great supplementary mounting point.

What I don't want to happen, is send my car down for 6-8 weeks and him come up with a gorgeous kit that puts down awesome power, but it can't be used by the roadsters because their brackets get in the way. The brackets are a necessary evil on the roadsters, and must remain in place for structural reasons. Removing them is not an option.

By installing said brackets on my car, it guarantees that the kit will fit 100% of N/A Crossfires, not just the bracket-less coupes.

Hope this makes sense... just trying to think ahead and consider the interests of our topless variants.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular

The goal here is to make the kit as simple as possible. I will stress to him that the kit should be designed to allow for the brackets to be there, but not require them to be present. Although, the center brace spanning across the muffler WOULD make a great supplementary mounting point.

What I don't want to happen, is send my car down for 6-8 weeks and him come up with a gorgeous kit that puts down awesome power, but it can't be used by the roadsters because their brackets get in the way. The brackets are a necessary evil on the roadsters, and must remain in place for structural reasons. Removing them is not an option.

By installing said brackets on my car, it guarantees that the kit will fit 100% of N/A Crossfires, not just the bracket-less coupes.

Hope this makes sense... just trying to think ahead and consider the interests of our topless variants.
I would actually be OK with adding any brackets needed if it did mount better (who wouldn't for a boost in power from the Turbo!?!)

Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM

John,

This is an important catch! Thank you! I did notice that the picture I posted earlier with a rear mount turbo was a Roadster but forgot to mention that to Corky. Corky does have the same picture. If you want to add the bracing that would be awesome. We just need to tell Corky to work around them and not utilize them in any way. This will make his kit guaranteed to work equally well in a Coupe or Roadster.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 PM

I have the interest in a turbo kit aswell...but I do not have anyone I trust to do tuning and I figured it would be a bit of an issue with these mercedes. I look forward to the progress on this, 3500 would be very acceptable for 100hp, although I would probably run a lower psi for safety reasons. LEggo!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 12yan12eed
I have the interest in a turbo kit aswell...but I do not have anyone I trust to do tuning and I figured it would be a bit of an issue with these mercedes. I look forward to the progress on this, 3500 would be very acceptable for 100hp, although I would probably run a lower psi for safety reasons. LEggo!
Eurocharged is running a $299 deal as of today, I just had them tune my car and they did a jam up job, very professional. I saw them soldering like madmen in Vegas and under all that pressure to make their flights I do not think anyone will have an issue with thier TCUs. Very good service and like I said that price can not be beat! They do retunes for free unless you need dyno time.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 12yan12eed
Where are you located?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
John,

This is an important catch! Thank you! I did notice that the picture I posted earlier with a rear mount turbo was a Roadster but forgot to mention that to Corky. Corky does have the same picture. If you want to add the bracing that would be awesome. We just need to tell Corky to work around them and not utilize them in any way. This will make his kit guaranteed to work equally well in a Coupe or Roadster.
Next step is finding them inexpensively... muahahahaha

Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Next step is finding them inexpensively... muahahahaha
Off a wrecked car would be cheapest.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Off a wrecked car would be cheapest.
I just hope wrecked doesn't equal "bent" hahahaha

Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 PM

I just hope wrecked doesn't equal "bent" hahahaha
Maybe Steve can tell us if the same bracing is under a SLK?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankeyser
Eurocharged is running a $299 deal as of today, I just had them tune my car and they did a jam up job, very professional. I saw them soldering like madmen in Vegas and under all that pressure to make their flights I do not think anyone will have an issue with thier TCUs. Very good service and like I said that price can not be beat! They do retunes for free unless you need dyno time.
Wouldn't a tune running forced induction require a totally different tune than their standard tune?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM

It's not. I tried fitting his after he totaled the black one... it's a no-go.

I'll probably call the Chrysler Dealer tomorrow and see if they can at least give me the part number. I can take it from there...

Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the brace that goes from side to side is an added part from chrysler. not on the slk models. i have the 2 braces that go from the car to that first piece.
as for tuning in believe corky is collaborating with kleeman to produce the needed files to run the car safely and to its best potential

Quick Reply: Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed