Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed

Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed

Originally Posted by Bigkid
chuK I can tell from your post you have yet to run the Dragon with Kim. That will put a big grin on your face and you have to be into speed to drive the Dragon that way.

looking forward to seeing both of you in the spring.

On topic, if I owned an n/a I would be all over this quality project.
No, I haven't, yet. I've also never ridden in the passenger's seat of the SRT! She said she wouldn't let me make the first run, and that's fine. I don't enjoy twisties, and she hates straight lines. Sadly, we may only be taking one car(SRT), so don't expect to see me on the mountain roads behind the wheel. But I still look forward to meeting everyone!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I have been so quiet in the thread.. I'm in the San Antonio area and have met up with Corky.. I am very interested in having this done..just need to work some more on the wife to be able to swing the 3500.. But if I did do it.. I would definitely want the master himself to install it(heck his shop is only a 20 or so miles from my house).

So yeah I can offer up my car as a first or second prototype.. if I can get the blessing from the wife..

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Xalidin
Sorry I have been so quiet in the thread.. I'm in the San Antonio area and have met up with Corky.. I am very interested in having this done..just need to work some more on the wife to be able to swing the 3500.. But if I did do it.. I would definitely want the master himself to install it(heck his shop is only a 20 or so miles from my house).

So yeah I can offer up my car as a first or second prototype.. if I can get the blessing from the wife..
I just got a PM from CMAC to put him on the list. If you are in that would make it a lot easier for him to get two prototypes done and tested. Tell your wife with you we have the required 10 and you are getting free installation and testing! This also get BOILERUP off the hook. Ask her what the rest of can do to convince her! Do we need to all chip in for the best dinner she has ever had?

John, can you please edit the list to include CMAC? Thank you.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

If I could get my car to Corky he could keep it for awhile.
I have back up Crossfires to drive!

Anyone own a car transporter???

Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1

You are not all that far. Corky would proably be willing to meet you halfway. I didn't see your name on the list. We would love to add you!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Would you want to be added on the list as well?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM

I think I've got this right... if there are any corrections needed, let me know. This is for the $200 deposit (red is definite, blue tentative).
  1. JHM2K
  2. LantanaTX
  3. Bri3D
  4. Bill00
  5. bjames
  6. CMAC
  7. 2005 Ragtop
  8. sk8erjosh09
  9. tighed1
  10. Frankeyser
  11. Xalidin
  12. BoilerUpXfire

Last edited by JHM2K; 11-18-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

My coupe has 166K+ miles on it and still runs very strong. If you think it's a good candidate for a turbo, put me on the list. As well as the car is running I don't have any issues.

If we could get my car to him I'd be willing to leave it for a couple of months for him to play with.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 AM

My coupe has 166K+ miles on it and still runs very strong. If you think it's a good candidate for a turbo, put me on the list. As well as the car is running I don't have any issues.

If we could get my car to him I'd be willing to leave it for a couple of months for him to play with.
These are 250,000 mile motors, easily.

If your 160K motor explodes, you could replace it with a 50,000 mile motor for $1,500... We all know you got the $$$ DJ

Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Put me on the list..Pay pal...check...first born..whichever way you need it when it's time for the $200.
Wife doesn't understand other than it's a guy thing, and that's close enough for me.
Might need to arm wrestle or something though for the bottom of the list. Kinda like a few others here.. doable but will have to kick funds around when it's time to purchase!

I do have a few question though when it gets that time that I would like to address.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 AM

Great to hear MrMiata!

V6 Kits:
  1. JHM2K
  2. Bri3D
  3. Bill00
  4. bjames
  5. CMAC
  6. 2005 Ragtop
  7. sk8erjosh09
  8. tighed1
  9. Frankeyser
  10. Mrmiata
  11. Xalidin
  12. BoilerUpXfire
V8 Kits
  1. LantanaTX
I moved out of the second spot becuase the second car is the second prototype to be done by Corky and needs to be a V6. My car will sneak back in line at some point when Corky is ready as I may have to take my car to Corky. Corky is confident that he can make the changes for my car which at a minimum are a different turbo and higher CFM intercooler. I believe there are a total of five MB powered n/a V8 Crossfires in the world. Maybe they are reading this and will want to be on the V8 list.

The number two car on the list may have to be shuffled since it will have to make it to San Antonio. I am hoping number two will be John, (Xalidin) since he lives in the area. Yesterday Corky told me that with some remodeling going on in the shop and another project to finish first, that he is looking at mid Dec to start on John's car. Corky thinks it is now time for John to call him and start making arrangments to bring his car. I passed Corky' number to John last night. John, are you getting excited yet?

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-19-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I passed Corky' number to John last night. John, are you getting excited yet?
Beyond thrilled!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM

First - you guys are absolutely freaking amazing with your knowledge amazing I tell you...my question below are going to seem like a kindergartner when you get to them, but be nice please.

Second - I quit reading after GraphiteGhosts post about not telling his wife...yes, the Dark Side is powerful and calling to me loudly. My problem is my head started hurting. I'm about ready to cancel whatever remains of my wrap warranty and use that money towards this since I doubt it will do much good when you can only find used parts. Yes, I am that serious about this as I consider this the one mod that actually should have been a stock option for the NAs. I don't drive fast often, but I sure would like this.

I'm still waiting for our contract to be finalized and see if I get anything as a bonus, but to my questions

1. Is this going to be a one time creation of limited items or will Corky be able to gen them up as requests come in?

2. Current mods:
a. I think I saw the answer, but with my basic Eurocharged tune, I presume I would have to undo it. Is this correct?
b. What about the Needswings CAI? Would it be bennifical to go up to a dual at this point or stay with the single?
c. If I understand it right, I'll have to remove the MagnaFlow cat-back and put on a set of tips, correct? I've got the stock system, but can always cut the tips off and use them and have the MagnaFlow as a backup should there be any emission issues with the turbo.

3. No impact going with a different plugs than the stock? What really would be best in this set-up.

4. While taking driver skills into consideration, does anybody thing an improvement is necessary or just desirable for the suspension? I have been thinking of going with the Koni's and Eibachs...though I know Lantana mentioned to some different options at the Dragon...can't find my note on that.

I'm making this thread a shortcut on my browser so I will be more likely to look at it more often.

Great work to those involved and again, all of you have amazing knowledge about cars.

Edit: Put me down as tentative. I may even put the $200 towards it just to make it happen if these kits will be available on demand.

Last edited by Erzer; 11-19-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzer
First - you guys are absolutely freaking amazing with your knowledge amazing I tell you...my question below are going to seem like a kindergartner when you get to them, but be nice please.

Second - I quit reading after GraphiteGhosts post about not telling his wife...yes, the Dark Side is powerful and calling to me loudly. My problem is my head started hurting. I'm about ready to cancel whatever remains of my wrap warranty and use that money towards this since I doubt it will do much good when you can only find used parts. Yes, I am that serious about this as I consider this the one mod that actually should have been a stock option for the NAs. I don't drive fast often, but I sure would like this.

I'm still waiting for our contract to be finalized and see if I get anything as a bonus, but to my questions

1. Is this going to be a one time creation of limited items or will Corky be able to gen them up as requests come in?

2. Current mods:
a. I think I saw the answer, but with my basic Eurocharged tune, I presume I would have to undo it. Is this correct?
b. What about the Needswings CAI? Would it be bennifical to go up to a dual at this point or stay with the single?
c. If I understand it right, I'll have to remove the MagnaFlow cat-back and put on a set of tips, correct? I've got the stock system, but can always cut the tips off and use them and have the MagnaFlow as a backup should there be any emission issues with the turbo.

3. No impact going with a different plugs than the stock? What really would be best in this set-up.

4. While taking driver skills into consideration, does anybody thing an improvement is necessary or just desirable for the suspension? I have been thinking of going with the Koni's and Eibachs...though I know Lantana mentioned to some different options at the Dragon...can't find my note on that.

I'm making this thread a shortcut on my browser so I will be more likely to look at it more often.

Great work to those involved and again, all of you have amazing knowledge about cars.

Edit: Put me down as tentative. I may even put the $200 towards it just to make it happen if these kits will be available on demand.
im going to take yor question into another direction. while suspension mods will always be an improvement. consider this, BRAKES!! turning your into a 350 hp , manual ca ror auto and slamming into the corners proves to be a handful. with your power on tap upgrading the brakes would give you the ability to utilize the power to its fullest potential. 4/4 setup or 6/4 setup would be the route i would go. wait i did!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Erzer

It will be available in the future. the key was getting comittments to get it in production. Costs could go up in the future. Buying as soon as you can would be smart.

2. Current mods:

Stock tune should be used. Most performance tunes advance timing which is not a good thing for the turbo.

You cannot use a NW CAI. the kit will have piping all the way to the throttle body

Stock plugs are fine. One step colder may be even better. We are relying somewhat on Kleemann experience and they don't need to change plugs on their kits.

I have Voughtland springs and love them. I also have Koni's. good mods but not really nessesary. I just prefer a lowered car and the Koni's have proven the best for getting ride quality back after lowering.

Good idea!

Will do, Thanks

Note on brakes

If you have stock wheels, SRT/SLK32 are probably best. If you have aftermarket wheels that can clear a big brake set up, The cheapest way to awesome brakes is 345mm C32/CLK500/CLK55 rotors with C32/CLK500/CLK55/S/CL600 calipers. I have S/CL600 calipers and found they are easiest to find cheap. The S/CL600 cailipers require a few washers to center them on the rotors. Stock bolts can still be used. If you go to the bigger four piston front calipers, you should also do the rears. The cheapest way is SRT or CLK500 calipers and rotors in the back. the ultimate for those with unlimited budget is the SLK55 front and rear set up which is the six pistons up front and four in the back. I am running SLK55 330mm rear rotors with S/CL65 AMG clalipers with custom mounts. If any of you ever find a set of these ultra rare calipers, I will trace my bracket for your machine shop to make.

V6 Kits:
  1. JHM2K
  2. Bri3D
  3. Bill00
  4. bjames
  5. CMAC
  6. 2005 Ragtop
  7. sk8erjosh09
  8. tighed1
  9. Frankeyser
  10. Mrmiata
  11. Erzer (tenative)
  12. Xalidin (maybe)
  13. BoilerUpXfire (if needed)
V8 Kits
  1. LantanaTX

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 PM

Since we are now going to have a turbo kit and into a whole new phase, I have started a new thread which you can see here:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post637736

Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 PM

I would definitely be interested in this. I'm going through the other thread to see what it takes to get added to the list. With tax season approaching there is no better time than now =) Exciting!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by XFactorXXL
I would definitely be interested in this. I'm going through the other thread to see what it takes to get added to the list. With tax season approaching there is no better time than now =) Exciting!
I have added you to the list!

Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Forum Regular

did the turbos ever get put in?? where did this thread go???

Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by falshami
did the turbos ever get put in?? where did this thread go???
Look here Begi turbo kit information/discussion thread.