Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

$150 oil change???

Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $150 oil change???

is this a reasonable price from the dealership??? i contacted other shops but they dont carry the 0W-40 oil....total of 3 shops so far would need to order it

not to mention the filter kit.......

Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: $150 oil change???????

What is included in the oil change? Sounds like a charcoal filter as well. The price is right if you're at a dealer.

FYI you do know you bought a Chrysler right?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

AN oil change is TOTALLY something you can, and should do yourself ( if you want it done right )

There are 2 methods, one easy, one not so easy :

1. Go buy one of those oil suckers that pulls the old out thru the dipstick tube ( takes a while )

2. Remove the bottom plastic pan ( 4 8mm bolts, one plastic body panel thingey. You can then get to the oil drain plug. Make sure the container you drain into holds at least 2 gallons. Usually, you can reuse the copper drain plug washer, some people replace it each time, your choice.

3. After oil is drained, remove the filter by turning the plastic filter cover counter-clockwise. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHERE ALL THE O-RINGS ARE, AND THE SIZE OF THEM. Lay out the new o-rings that come with the Mann FLEECE filter in order, then replace the filter and all o-rings. ( There will usually be one left over, don't ask me why ).

Before you put the new filter back in, you can pour the 8.5 quarts of Mobil1 10w40 through the oil filter tower, easier than using the oil cap on the valve cover.

Start it up, make sure there are no leaks, then replace the plastic bottom pan.

( Note: tighten the oil filter cap hand tight )

Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's about right for a dealership. Do a search here and you'll find several good write-ups on DYI oil changes for much less $.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Talking Re: $150 oil change???????

auto zone 5 qts m1 0/40 and a m1 filter 32.99, they do not appear to carry the fleece filter, go to advance auto and get the puralator should have a made in germany on filter i with necessary o-rings, the extra o-ring is for replacing the 1 on dip stick , if u want to use the none fleece i think AZ has it, are get the filter for another car u may have.you will need 8.5 qts, but only put 8 in. Then check it after a while, add if low, Be sure and get a crush washer for a 14mm drain plug . I got all this at az today, use search button. There are a lot of photos and info about oil change. Have Fun advance auto fleece part #L25277 puralator

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
AN oil change is TOTALLY something you can, and should do yourself ( if you want it done right )

There are 2 methods, one easy, one not so easy :

1. Go buy one of those oil suckers that pulls the old out thru the dipstick tube ( takes a while )

2. Remove the bottom plastic pan ( 4 8mm bolts, one plastic body panel thingey. You can then get to the oil drain plug. Make sure the container you drain into holds at least 2 gallons. Usually, you can reuse the copper drain plug washer, some people replace it each time, your choice.

3. After oil is drained, remove the filter by turning the plastic filter cover counter-clockwise. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHERE ALL THE O-RINGS ARE, AND THE SIZE OF THEM. Lay out the new o-rings that come with the Mann FLEECE filter in order, then replace the filter and all o-rings. ( There will usually be one left over, don't ask me why ).

Before you put the new filter back in, you can pour the 8.5 quarts of Mobil1 10w40 through the oil filter tower, easier than using the oil cap on the valve cover.

Start it up, make sure there are no leaks, then replace the plastic bottom pan.

( Note: tighten the oil filter cap hand tight )
Footnote.. Mark the original position of the cap to the base.. then tighten back to your mark.. that way you know your not too loose or tight..

Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
What is included in the oil change? Sounds like a charcoal filter as well. The price is right if you're at a dealer.

FYI you do know you bought a Chrysler right?
lol yes i do ...hence my first question to the Chrysler service dept. was Do you work on the Crossfires??

Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Forum Regular

I take my car to the dealership, but I don't pay their price for oil. The labor involved for the oil change is minimal. I also monitor the forum for Mobil One sales and buy as much as the store has.

The most affordable way is to do your own oil changes, but buying the oil will save you money.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Default Re: $150 oil change???

another option you can try which is what i do is bring the oil & filter to a locate shop and have them change it with what you supplied. costs me 10 dollars for them to change the oil. no mess or recycling for me.

A couple years ago my local chrysler dealership quoted me at 129.99

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have been quoted as high as $180 for an oil change at a dealership. My local 5 star CJD dealership does it for $99. They have 2 Crossfire certified mechanics on staff. For this money its not even worth me messing with when I can sit in A/C on WiFi sipping my complimentary coffee. Our cars are still under warranty too so I like to have the work done at the dealership.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too always buy as much as a store has when it's on sale. Then I take my filter and oil to one of those oil change places and watch them all the way thur, include'n the "O" rings. They charge about 35 bucks. Oil change'n is NOT the place to try and save with cheap anything. I also do it myself with one of those suckers on nice days sometimes. Good luck and enjoy that car.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KimPossible
I have been quoted as high as $180 for an oil change at a dealership. My local 5 star CJD dealership does it for $99. They have 2 Crossfire certified mechanics on staff. For this money its not even worth me messing with when I can sit in A/C on WiFi sipping my complimentary coffee. Our cars are still under warranty too so I like to have the work done at the dealership.
Kim, what Dealership are you using, and are they local to Winter Park.

I'm asking cause I'm about 15 miles from you, over in Poinciana.

I also got a Dealer Warranty, and it would be nice to have a Dealer in Florida, that at least has a heartbeat...

Thanx...

Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KimPossible
My local 5 star CJD dealership does it for $99. They have 2 Crossfire certified mechanics on staff. For this money its not even worth me messing with when I can sit in A/C on WiFi sipping my complimentary coffee.
That's a steal, and as much as I like doing my own work, I would be quite tempted to partake.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Forum Regular

Quick question, Why are oil changes so expensive?
Can't you just take it to a jiffylube ,midas , valvoline etc. Shop and get it done for like 50$?

I still don't own an xf so don't mind my noobish question

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jackerman
Quick question, Why are oil changes so expensive?
Can't you just take it to a jiffylube ,midas , valvoline etc. Shop and get it done for like 50$?

I still don't own an xf so don't mind my noobish question
the oil alone will cost about 65 dollars not on sale( it takes 8.5 qts)

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kodebuster
Kim, what Dealership are you using, and are they local to Winter Park.

I'm asking cause I'm about 15 miles from you, over in Poinciana.

I also got a Dealer Warranty, and it would be nice to have a Dealer in Florida, that at least has a heartbeat...

Thanx...
Greenway CJD - they are really good.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

She(Kim) has a capable mechanic at hand(me) but would rather pay the stealership, albeit at a good price. Now what to do with the 17 qts. of Mobil1 0W-40 and Mann fleece filters and crush washers sitting in my closet.........................

Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by chuK_138
She(Kim) has a capable mechanic at hand(me) but would rather pay the stealership, albeit at a good price. Now what to do with the 17 qts. of Mobil1 0W-40 and Mann fleece filters and crush washers sitting in my closet.........................
Are those the ones that you keep using on everyone's daily drivers so that the oil doesn't go "bad"?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jsaredwings
the oil alone will cost about 65 dollars not on sale( it takes 8.5 qts)
Just for the oil ? That's ludicrous , good thing I know this now , I wont be surprised every 3k

Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you do it yourself, buy your own oil when on sale, and order a bunch of filters from Rob...you can keep your oil changes in the $50 bracket. The belly pan is a pita, but I still do mine the old fashion way. I do need to order some crush washers though...lol.... Dealerships range from the $99 Kim quoted to $160 around here. Overhead, oil disposal, labor costs, all drive up the price in doing an oil change at a dealership. Plus, they usually look the car over for other problems. But, all of which you can do yourself. And take part in keeping your classic in tip top shape. If it is your daily driver, then take her to the dealership. I will never use a quick change shop. I had a bad experience there.

Quick Reply: $150 oil change???