Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

BEGi Turbo Kit information/discussion thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: BEGi Turbo Kit information/discussion thread

you bet.. looks like it's plug and play.. NOT..

Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Might be easier than you think. Key is to start with a PCM from a Wrangler with a 6 speed manual or a GC with a 5 speed automagic depending.

Would be really surprised how similar the fit and plumbing is for my Crossfire and Grand Cherokee with Pentastar. Amazing thing is that they get about the same MPG despite a 1400 lb weight differential and 75 more HP..

Last edited by Padgett; 01-10-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 PM

Have you been following Josh on his swap and manual tranny? It's not like you just flip a dip switch and the ECU says "Lets Party".. not by a long shot.

Oh.. and similar doesn't mean works.. headers and slk for instance..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 01-10-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: BEGi Turbo Kit information/discussion thread

Originally Posted by Padgett
If all you want is 285-305 hp for $2500 then how about one of these (several on eBay) ? 87 PON. Just make sure it has the good heads.
Wow Begi can't even get a Turbo in a Crossfire in over 2 years, how long do you think it would take to do this engine swap..and what kind of a deposit might they like?

Old 01-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

… LOL!!!

Oh my goodness. Ok, first of all sure it's possible… It is so much more complicated than you think. I already explained that you will lose any functionality already in place. That wrangler ECU will not work with the instrument cluster, BCM, DAS module, Cruise control, ABS module, traction software… etc etc.

If you got a donor wrangler and pulled every inch of wiring over and every module, then sure. You will have an f'd up car that doesn't even know what it is. It will register as a wrangler when you plug it into anything. What's the point? People that have done that still have issues!!!! I know of a few that did the MB swaps over with all of the wiring and modules and the IC says a different mileage, the heated seats won't work, or the wing won't deploy, or cruise doesn't work…. That's with all MB everything into an MB!

Look at how complicated it was for anyone to figure out how to get different MB motors to work in these… I guarantee it is easier than a factory working car with a different manufacturers motor. It bolts up to the trans…. That's it.

Go check out Chuck Norris' build because aftermarket ECU's or piggyback's are all you will be able to have work…

Last thing Padgett, how much does that pentastar motor weigh? For $2500 (about a grand more than a nice MB 5.0) and the headache for getting anything to function, it better at least compete with an SRT, which it wouldn't unless that thing is around 250 lbs and estimated extremely low in power, which I highly doubt lol. I just found out 2 days ago the NA 55 AMG M113 is 368 lbs with oil……… 3240 is what my car weighed in at with me sitting in it, and 100 lbs worth of stereo in the trunk. Plus when the turbo is figured out (BEGi or not) they will be even lighter! With a better weight distribution.

And I'm also willing to argue with the gas mileage thing. You were comparing the wrangler mileage compared to the NA xfire and I don't see it. The wranglers struggle to get 15 city and my NA V6 was 24 city with my pedal floored everywhere I went listening to the new muffler. I regularly saw 32 on long distance highway runs...

Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, I think changing motors to gain HP and performance is what everyone else has been after. I might be wrong but Padgett just saying another similar drive train, not a gain in performance to match that of an SRT6. When I thought about a track car while finding some XF's with little damage, I thought about a completely different drive train, maybe even going to Chevy which is what I am familiar with. But, I wouldn't have functions of all the gauges body control, and so on. But I wouldn't care since it would be for drag racing. The problem I didn't like was seeing all the miles of wiring, and what the car looked like stripped down. Just didn't like the looks for building a track car. Might as will build another Camaro. Parts are readily available and plug and play and you get use of all the instrumentation. Again. Not apples to apples... Not a good car to do a swap with unless you stay along the line of MB power plants.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Well, I think changing motors to gain HP and performance is what everyone else has been after. I might be wrong but Padgett just saying another similar drive train, not a gain in performance to match that of an SRT6. When I thought about a track car while finding some XF's with little damage, I thought about a completely different drive train, maybe even going to Chevy which is what I am familiar with. But, I wouldn't have functions of all the gauges body control, and so on. But I wouldn't care since it would be for drag racing. The problem I didn't like was seeing all the miles of wiring, and what the car looked like stripped down. Just didn't like the looks for building a track car. Might as will build another Camaro. Parts are readily available and plug and play and you get use of all the instrumentation. Again. Not apples to apples... Not a good car to do a swap with unless you stay along the line of MB power plants.
I was just saying the amount of headache associated isn't worth the performance increase. I completely agree that the drivetrain should stay MB, it's still a headache but at least you can stay factory and drive to work daily.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular

So I bought Grand Turismo 6 and finally got enough money to buy the Chrysler Crossfire on the game. I got really excited because I thought I could finally know the potential of a turbo'd N/A Crossfire... Dreams crushed, Sony did their research and realized that nobody has turbo'd a Crossfire. :'( :'(

Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Selbyl
So I bought Grand Turismo 6 and finally got enough money to buy the Chrysler Crossfire on the game. I got really excited because I thought I could finally know the potential of a turbo'd N/A Crossfire... Dreams crushed, Sony did their research and realized that nobody has turbo'd a Crossfire. :'( :'(
Lmao, sorry, but that's actually pretty funny.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Selbyl
Well ... maybe 7 will change that..

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Well ... maybe 7 will change that..

You did mean GT 17 ....LOl

Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

Here we are at the close of another business week and no pictures or updates. I see Corky does not want to respond to any questions on the turbo build on Facebook either. Seems to be quite active on the MX-5 Miata Forum. Maybe 2 more weeks, 2 more years, who knows.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM

Well.. since I'm a member... Lets see if this post shakes anything out of the tree's..

Hmm - Miata was my first passion, and also now have a Chrysler Crossfire.. anybody noticed the Crossfire turbo link on that website.. It hasn't changed much since the two years ago that the project started. Are these kits worth having? "We" over there have invested about 6 grand in the project, and a members car has been there two years "under construction". I've read where he has had at least one Miata for a year, and it went home with the turbo loose mounted in his trunk along with the rest of it.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Well the M112 was followed by the M272 and it shore looks like the Pentastar in my heep.

Agree you can get more power but 305hp on 87 PON from a 272 clone with parts at any FLAPS would be pretty good for me.

Last edited by Padgett; 01-20-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

UNCLE!
I give.
It's been two years.
I sent Corky an email requesting the return of my car.

Sorry folks.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

^^^^ Good luck with that.
Please keep us posted.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but it's interesting to me all the same.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
UNCLE!
I give.
It's been two years.

Sorry folks.
DJ, you have already been more patient than anyone else on the planet, thank you for sticking it out so long. I sincerely hope they can and will return the car, but if it is in pieces and they could not even figure out how to dyno it, you may be in trouble.

Either way, I hope you get the car and money back, the heartache is enough to deal with. Thanks for trying to be a pioneer, we really do appreciate it and all you do for the forum

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
DJ, you have already been more patient than anyone else on the planet, thank you for sticking it out so long. I sincerely hope they can and will return the car, but if it is in pieces and they could not even figure out how to dyno it, you may be in trouble.

Either way, I hope you get the car and money back, the heartache is enough to deal with. Thanks for trying to be a pioneer, we really do appreciate it and all you do for the forum
I second this.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I third it.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
UNCLE!
I give.
It's been two years.

Sorry folks.
DJ my friend.. I think you were the only one left hanging on to "they can get it done".. You've gone way too far on your patients with this project to begin with. If I loose my deposit..(hell that's almost funny).. because "we defaulted".. then so be it. Worth it to be done with them and the frustrations and you getting your car back!

Quick Reply: BEGi Turbo Kit information/discussion thread