Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Rear cat and Resenator delete and X pipe swap

Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear cat and Resenator delete and X pipe swap

I have a Srt and at the moment have just the resenator out, sounds great too me, the other Srt had the rear cats and resenator delete and under power the car sounded great, while just driving it was a little droneish. Has anybody done the rear cat and resenator delete and then replaced the H pipe with an X pipe? If so how does it sound?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Rear cat and Resenator delete and X pipe swap

Originally Posted by cjw
I have a Srt and at the moment have just the resenator out, sounds great too me, the other Srt had the rear cats and resenator delete and under power the car sounded great, while just driving it was a little droneish. Has anybody done the rear cat and resenator delete and then replaced the H pipe with an X pipe? If so how does it sound?
On Steve's black SLK, replacing the H with X made a big difference in the drone factor.

One way to test, put the X-pipe on the other SRT and find out. X-pipes make a bit more power than the H-pipe as well... negligible on butt-dyno, but the increase is there. I'll have to hunt up the old thread on MB-world discussing this.

You can find Magnaflow X-pipes for <$50

Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHM2K
On Steve's black SLK, replacing the H with X made a big difference in the drone factor.

One way to test, put the X-pipe on the other SRT and find out. X-pipes make a bit more power than the H-pipe as well... negligible on butt-dyno, but the increase is there. I'll have to hunt up the old thread on MB-world discussing this.

You can find Magnaflow X-pipes for <$50
I would if I could but the other Srt, my fathers didnt like the sound so I took the cat back half off his and put it on mine, as it sits his is catless, mine is resenator-less. I will have to look at there website and see what I can find
Any chance you know what size our Srt pipes are, 2.5"?

Last edited by cjw; 10-01-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I deleted the resonator and the secondary cats. As you said sounds great a full throttle but too much drone at normal highway speeds. I did not remove the h-pipe but did add an x-pipe into the mix. Still too much drone for me in the critical RPM range. If you can cruise at 80ish on the interstate you are golden. Otherwise the drone becomes annoying.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I too would like to know the size of our pipes. Looking at doing the "X-Factor" to my SRT! Seems like there are several scenarios you can go by on the delete. Anyone here remove the sec. cats and h-pipe and install the x pipe while leaving on the resonator for less drone? Or leaving on the cats and deleting the res with the x-pipe and a y-pipe installed?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM

My plan, when I get off my **** and modify the exhaust, is to do the following:
  • Remove rear cats
  • Install an X-pipe in place of the H-Pipe/cats
  • Leave the resonator in place
  • Aftermarket rear muffler w/ custom tips
The cats are the most restrictive aspect. So, removing them would be most beneficial regarding HP and would net the same basic weight loss as the resonator delete. The resonator is actually fairly free-flowing, and the extra 30# being near the rear axle never hurts.

The removal of the cats will introduce some bass to the exhaust, and perhaps a bit of rasp. Adding the X-pipe should cut some of the rasp. The X-pipe normally gives better flow than the H, and on Steve's car it worked beautifully to cancel out the drone.

As for the aftermarket muffler, the stock one simply has no pleasing note to it. I was reminded of this at the Dragon this weekend, as Pacemaker's car (with the Magnaflow cat-back) sounded better than mine. I don't want to have an obnoxious note, so I'm leaving the resonator in place as additional "drone insurance". But changing the final muffler should serve to modify the note in a pleasing manner. Looking at either Magnaflow, Hooker, or Dynomax. Cherry Bomb makes a nice free-flowing muffler, and the case is a boxy one that fits the recessed area perfectly.

My goal is the least amount of restriction while also achieving the least amount of drone. Won't be cheap, but won't be hacked, either.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey John, I like your plan alot. I beleive I'll be going the same route. Any idea what size Magnaflow X-pipe we'll need? I also liked the CherryBomb Extreme.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
Hey John, I like your plan alot. I beleive I'll be going the same route. Any idea what size Magnaflow X-pipe we'll need? I also liked the CherryBomb Extreme.
I *think* it's a 3" X... I'd have to double check the diameters of the individual pipes though.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an N/A but what if you straight piped the main cats got the o2 sensor trick bolt and leave the resonators to fool inspection?