Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Headers, I mean jewelry, arrived

Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Headers, I mean jewelry, arrived

they do look pretty Les, I would look into thermal coating them instead of wrapping them myself as the wrap will eat up clearances or can come undone. let me know what you decide on the downpipes. we can set you up with the back half of some downpipes so you wouldn't need to hack up yours.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

btw, I have exh port gaskets in stock and can get them out to you if you haven't gotten them locally yet.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
they do look pretty Les, I would look into thermal coating them instead of wrapping them myself as the wrap will eat up clearances or can come undone. let me know what you decide on the downpipes. we can set you up with the back half of some downpipes so you wouldn't need to hack up yours.
Wow! Thanks Rob. I pondered the options for a while and will have some custom work done, unless the price is more than the install. These guys work on GTR's and like to charge GTR prices. Send me the some exhaust gaskets please and the invoice ..... at least priority. I'd really appreciate it. I want to drop the car off on Thursday if possible.

Les

Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a place near where I live that does high performance coatings for stuff for Corky Bell. They did a set of full length headers for my dad's '67 GTO, they looked incredible. here's their website; Cradin Industries - Boerne, TX - Coatings

Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 PM

Car is scheduled to go in for the dyno's and header install on Monday. I hope all goes well and I can post up on Tuesday but don't shoot me if it takes longer. Tuesday is my most complicated and heaviest word day of the week.

Les

Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Car is scheduled to go in for the dyno's and header install on Monday. I hope all goes well and I can post up on Tuesday but don't shoot me if it takes longer. Tuesday is my most complicated and heaviest word day of the week.

Les
No excuses, We need info ASAP!

Last edited by MetalMilitiaSRT; 03-04-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MetalMilitiaSRT
No excuses, We need info ASAP!
It looks like I should have kept my mouth shut. Problems from the start. The dyno numbers came in weak, not that I care, but then I found a puddle under the car. It seems the meth hose melted or otherwise was compromised so ..... they're fabricating a metal line and hopefully will do another dyno afterwards to get "how I run the car" numbers. It really doesn't matter except the tune is lean without the water/meth. But for those interested, 336 hp with who knows what the problem is, where it's too hot to touch for a while. I don't think the car will be finished until ..... I'm not even going to guesstimate. Booooooo!

Les

Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velociabstract
It looks like I should have kept my mouth shut. Problems from the start. The dyno numbers came in weak, not that I care, but then I found a puddle under the car. It seems the meth hose melted or otherwise was compromised so ..... they're fabricating a metal line and hopefully will do another dyno afterwards to get "how I run the car" numbers. It really doesn't matter except the tune is lean without the water/meth. But for those interested, 336 hp with who knows what the problem is, where it's too hot to touch for a while. I don't think the car will be finished until ..... I'm not even going to guesstimate. Booooooo!

Les
You can't rush perfection...

Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Forum Regular

Any updates? I'm jelly! Hopefully your guys get some more ponies out of these. You might need to reinstall some cats (high flow) though cause I'm sure these flow exhaust like a mo'fo!

Some pics of them installed would be cool too!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM

The shop still hasn't called so I assume ....... no, I'll be going to take a look tomorrow. They didn't put the car on the lift until Thursday afternoon and I don't know their workload. They're doing the instal cheap but I figured once the car was on the lift they'd knock it out fast. An occupied lift is money tied up and other work that waits. They've always done a professional job for me and ya know, that's worth a lot, even if they take forever. No one is more curious than me. If cane liquor wasn't so cheap I'd be without sleeping all week. See the state I'm in? I can't put two sentences together.

Les

Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Went by the shop, the headers are on. Now they're putting on all the parts that had to be removed or loosened and moved out of the way. They had to lift the engine and loosen the steering box. We discussed the exhaust connections, in stainless naturally, which is Monday's problem I'm afraid. I requested a dyno with the open headers, should be exciting. If I could only be there when they do it. After the new midsection is fabricated and connected to the stock slip joints before the resonator, another dyno. Good information on the how the stock cat back flows should come out of my little project. The waiting is excruciating fellows, but oh the the things were going to learn.

Les

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

You are really investing in this Les, thanks for all the dynos and step by step processes. I can't wait to see the results and pics.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Yes, I am very interested

Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Forum Regular

Hi,

when you install these headers the front catalytic converters will be completely removed? Is that right? So how do you reach emission value limits in your country?

Regards
Markus

Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Yes, the headers mean you loose the primary cats. I had already removed them on my car and I pass emissions with no cats. It's real close at idle.

Les

Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, Wes. Seems that emission controls over here in germany are more restrictive than in your country. If we use 200 cel metal catalysators for the primary cats and use the stock secopndary cats we have a change to pass emission tests. If we use 100 cell cats primary and stock cats secondary we can't pass. So no header conversion for all guys from germany with these headers.

Regards
Markus

Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM

Open header dyno DONE! 377.7 hp and 355.5 torque with "substantial gains everywhere". Next is a dyno with the stock exhaust hooked up. The pre instal dyno was 336 hp. Just insane! Dyno graphs won't be in my hands until Wednesday at the earliest.

Les

Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Nice, Great news, 41.7 hp more! did you get your meth kit problem figured out before the dyno? What was Torque increase?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM

It's connected and working, the tank has mostly distilled water in it right now. I don't know what the AFR's were yet but I'll be in touch with Eurocharged for a retune in the near future.

Les

Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't see it Les. I think you finally got the meth and dyno working but good numbers either way.

Quick Reply: Headers, I mean jewelry, arrived