Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Where can I purchase a Catalytic Converter?

Old 03-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I purchase a Catalytic Converter?

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if you can advise me on buying a catalytic converter for my roadster?

Should I consider getting one from a scrap yard? If so would one from an SLK work?

Can you recommend any websites for new or second hand? (I am based in Ireland)

I have been told a "universal" converter "might do the job!". Has anyone tried a generic/universal converter?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
Colin

Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where can I purchase a Catalytic converter?

The answer is going to vary based on where the car is sold. US we now have three levels of cats; CA, NY, 48 state legal. I had all 4 cats fail on me at about 130,000 miles and replaced them with aftermarket high flow units at about $100.00 US. plus labor. No engine lights or anything. I have one now at 154k that has broken loose inside (my guess is because of the snow and cold shock form the winter) so I need to go back and have the one replaced. Scrap yards are going to charge a premium if they sell them at all since they can get big $$$ for them for scrap. For a limited roadster here in the us Eastern Catalytic has a bolt on system that can be had for less then 600.00 US that has all the pipe from the headers back to the y pipe. They do not make one for the SRT6 which uses a different setup