Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

HOW do you change the fuel pump on a 2004 XFIRE??❓❓❓

Old 08-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HOW do you change the fuel pump on a 2004 XFIRE??❓❓❓

Gonna try and do this myself. A description and pics would be nice. A video with step by step directions would be perfect. I don't even know where the fuel pump is located. Is it external?? Thanks ...:✌️

Old 08-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts
Default Re: HOW do you change the fuel pump on a 2004 XFIRE??❓❓❓

Originally Posted by xxx_fire
Gonna try and do this myself. A description and pics would be nice. A video with step by step directions would be perfect. I don't even know where the fuel pump is located. Is it external?? Thanks ...:✌️
It is external, download this and save this then read all about it.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, it is external just in front of the passenger side rear wheel hidden by a black plastic cover ( 3 10 mm bolts ).
You will need a long extension for the rear bolt.
Expect some gasoline leakage, I advise have everything in place and work as fast as possible. ( don't smoke )
If the pump / filter is OEM, there will be clasp-type hose clamps, they can be released with a small screwdriver or a strong pointed awl.
Most go back with screw type clamps, it is also not a bad idea to replace the old hoses at the same time.
If you were planning on just replacing the pump, I'd advise you also do a new filter at the same time.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attempted it, far too much of a pain. Took the parts to a shop and $75 in labor later I drove home.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Indelibility
I attempted it, far too much of a pain. Took the parts to a shop and $75 in labor later I drove home.

I find it a much bigger pain reaching into my wallet for $75 for something that I can do myself and take pride in my work.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (01-20-2023)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JEFASOLD
agree 100%.
but then i am a thrift guy not cheap.
know when the job is done right if i swear alot and have bruised knuckles.
but sure feel good.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I find it a much bigger pain reaching into my wallet for $75 for something that I can do myself and take pride in my work.

Same here. I also need to justify all the tools I purchased over the years.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yes, it is external just in front of the passenger side rear wheel hidden by a black plastic cover ( 3 10 mm bolts ).
You will need a long extension for the rear bolt.
Expect some gasoline leakage, I advise have everything in place and work as fast as possible. ( don't smoke )
If the pump / filter is OEM, there will be clasp-type hose clamps, they can be released with a small screwdriver or a strong pointed awl.
Most go back with screw type clamps, it is also not a bad idea to replace the old hoses at the same time.
If you were planning on just replacing the pump, I'd advise you also do a new filter at the same time.

So I changed out the fuel pump yesterday on my own. And after removing the fuel filter I noticed I did not pay attention to which hose goes where since there are 2 rear connections on the filter . I connected the hose with the little fuel regulator on it to the back of the fuel pump were it says "MOT" (I'm guessing that's motor) the other option was "Tank".... Please tell me I connected them right..

Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Diagram of the pump and filter :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (49.8 KB, 195 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Super easy. I did it in an hour.

I used a jack, no lift.
a bucket for a little bit of gas that spills from the pump.

I bought a super cheap EBAY pump. I figured, what would I have to lose??

Works great. Car feels strong! I'm going to change the filter next.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Forum Regular

Ok, now pump sounds like its working hard after a drive. I see what looks like a fuel pressure regulator on my 2005 roadster in the line already. I just read how the fuel filter has a regulator in it too. SO, does this copper regulator looking thing belong there or not?

Maybe it's an aftermarket check valve? The old filter looks just the same as the new one I put in, just different markings. I went with a non brand filter from china . I thought new cheap filter should be better than old stock filter.

I also did the fuel pump with an off brand model. Pump was working great, no noise until I changed the filter. I'm wondering if its the pump or the filter that is causing the excess noise after a highway speed ride. I can easily hear the pump from inside the car with the top up.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
Ok, now pump sounds like its working hard after a drive. I see what looks like a fuel pressure regulator on my 2005 roadster in the line already. I just read how the fuel filter has a regulator in it too. SO, does this copper regulator looking thing belong there or not?

Maybe it's an aftermarket check valve? The old filter looks just the same as the new one I put in, just different markings. I went with a non brand filter from china . I thought new cheap filter should be better than old stock filter.

I also did the fuel pump with an off brand model. Pump was working great, no noise until I changed the filter. I'm wondering if its the pump or the filter that is causing the excess noise after a highway speed ride. I can easily hear the pump from inside the car with the top up.

No regulator on stock Crossfires. If you are talking about the little metal pot in the fuel line, that is not a regulator, just a gizmo to capture air in the line. I'm not telling you what to do but going super cheap on these MBs is not the best way to treat our cars. Yes, the filter is regulated but not adjustable.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
No regulator on stock Crossfires. If you are talking about the little metal pot in the fuel line, that is not a regulator, just a gizmo to capture air in the line. I'm not telling you what to do but going super cheap on these MBs is not the best way to treat our cars. Yes, the filter is regulated but not adjustable.
I dont see the pot in the diagram seen earlier in this thread. That's why I asked.

It looks like the fuel filter I took out was replaced in 2012, but I did some extensive fuel system cleanings. I was assuming that all the crud in the tank would be trapped in the filter, calling for a replacement. Again, clean cheap filter better than a name-brand dirty one.

$40 isn't too much for a fuel filter, but when i can get one for 13$, it's just a filter.... right???

Wrong, our filter has a regulator in it! Had I known this to start, I would have spent the extra coin. Easy peasy! I can't be the first person to try a cheap filter, someone fess up!

Old 04-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular

So here is my configuration. It doesn't match the diagram but I used the old filter and pump configuration as a guide. It should be right, but I'd love some input. The pump is making way to much noise!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pumpfilter.jpg (717.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
So here is my configuration. It doesn't match the diagram but I used the old filter and pump configuration as a guide. It should be right, but I'd love some input. The pump is making way to much noise!

If you decide you want a stock pump, I have the one from my srt (not sure if it is the same). Removed around 35k miles, worked fine. PM me a reasonable price if you want it.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolman
Same here. I also need to justify all the tools I purchased over the years.

Ha ha, that's what I always say. I'd rather use the money I would pay someone else, buy the tools and have them forever

And when you do this job, the gasoline will help clean and seal up those knuckle cuts.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meh03
Ha ha, that's what I always say. I'd rather use the money I would pay someone else, buy the tools and have them forever

And when you do this job, the gasoline will help clean and seal up those knuckle cuts.
Exactly!. Knuckle cuts expected. I kept the old filter plugged up and attached one hose at a time to try to make sure I got it right but the diagram shows the opposite set up.

Can anyone tell if I have this installed correctly?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

So I tipple checked all the hoses and they appeared a tad bundled and crimped. I twisted the pump and the filter so that hoses had least path of resistance and presto. Great pressure and no noise.