Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Engine Oil Emulsification

Old 10-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Engine Oil Emulsification

I was going to reply to a different thread concerning this issue, the thread was 3 years old and to avoid hijacking the thread, I started this one.
The thread was concerning emulsified oil under the oil cap due to short trips and not allowing the engine to come up to full op temp which would drive off moisture in the oil after a period of time and over time this foam having the consistency of shaving crème, will build up in the upper levels.
I read the replies concerning the post of the severe water damaged SRT I picked up this week. The oil observed when we changed it was mostly black oil until more than half was drained, then it became "a bit lighter" indicating the presence of water. Calling all of the oil emulsified might be an overstatement. Compared to "milkshake" oil I have observed dealing with my 74 Chevy Vega GT when the head gasket went, , this was minor...stop laughing. I have approx. 100 miles on this 0W-40 mobil one oil presently in it and will do a quick oil change after 1000 miles.
I polished the tailpipes of residue and am still getting wet soot deposits. I did clean the underside of the oil cap to watch for more accumulation of emulsified oil.
The response to run kerosene in the engine is most definitely out of the question. I will have this tranny serviced properly. Its the only service I'll let the stealership perform. She runs and sounds great. Peace

Last edited by Fla_Xfire_SRT; 10-18-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Engine Oil Emulsification

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
.............. I have approx. 100 miles on this 0-40 mobil one oil presently in it and will do a quick oil change after 1000 miles.
I guess in this case the W in 0W-40 stands for water.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular

For a little while anyway, till its all gone. haa. I bet if I took it on a long ride to Ontario the water residue would be gone, providing there isn't another issue causing the water or that the floodwaters were a convenient way for the previous owner to have his/her xfire totaled for the insurance $$.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Maybe try this for a piece of mind:

http://www.hach.com/asset-get.downlo...?id=7639982662

Old 10-18-2015, 11:23 PM

For a little while anyway, till its all gone. haa. I bet if I took it on a long ride to Ontario the water residue would be gone, providing there isn't another issue causing the water or that the floodwaters were a convenient way for the previous owner to have his/her xfire totaled for the insurance $$.
Get the oil checked at Blackstone Labs or some place similar.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks James, I wonder if that's the kit Blackstone labs would use. I never realized there was a test kit for ethyleneglycol. Can I assume that there should be ZERO ethylene-glycol in the oil or is there a tolerance range? I saw the first test color indicated a ranged of 0 - 30.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Thanks James, I wonder if that's the kit Blackstone labs would use. I never realized there was a test kit for ethyleneglycol. Can I assume that there should be ZERO ethylene-glycol in the oil or is there a tolerance range? I saw the first test color indicated a ranged of 0 - 30.
Blackstone tested my oil and there was no EG in it, there should be none and if there was some found it should be fixed, small leaks become big leaks.

I had a GM engine ruined because of coolant leaks into the oil while the dealer denied anything was wrong.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Forum Regular

After this short oil change coming up, I'll have it checked for EG. Peace

Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM

After this short oil change coming up, I'll have it checked for EG. Peace

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular

One seventy mile trip to MB dealer to get a second AMG license tag and in slow city traffic, the low coolant light comes on with normal temp indication. Could mean trouble. I topped off the water and drove another 60 miles home with no troubles. We will be doing the second oil change on it tomorrow. Perhaps we didn't fill it all the way when we flushed the coolant system. I hope that's all or else I feel I will soon be looking for a head gasket.