Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Need Help!! Stranded

Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!! Stranded

Have a 2007 Crossfire Coupe, 40,000 miles. Never ever had a problem with this fabulous car.

I was about to run out of gas and started the car with no problem and made it to the local gas station. Put just a couple of dollars of gas in the car just to make it to the less costly gas station a few miles down the road. When I jumped in the car from the first gas station and went to start the car it turned over and after a second or two died. Did this same thing over and over.

Filled the gas tank up thinking it needed more gas and still no go. All the car does is start (turn over) and then shuts down after a second. Never had any sort of problem like this before. HAs air gotten onto the fuel line or what.

Car fires right up and then dies. All of this started at the gas station when I was real low on gas.

Can someone give me an idea whats going on as I am stranded

Old 02-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Need Help!! Stranded

Any error code?
Sounds like the crankshaft position sensor or maybe you got some bad gas that clogged the filter.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The "runs for a few seconds then dies, repeatedly", does sound like a fuel issue. Is it different if you pour about a 1/2 oz of gas directly into the manifold ? That would eliminate the CPS as likely (never say never). Any warning lights or trouble codes ?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
The "runs for a few seconds then dies, repeatedly", does sound like a fuel issue. Is it different if you pour about a 1/2 oz of gas directly into the manifold ? That would eliminate the CPS as likely (never say never). Any warning lights or trouble codes ?
I never thought to check for warning lights . I will do so.

Also, not that mechanically inclined but can I pour gas down the manifold. If, so, hw would I go about doing that to see if that will get the engine to stay running.

One last thing, I was a part of a group purchase where I brought the code reader or whatever it is. I brought the thing like everyone else and never unboxed it. You guys think the cable or whatever I purchased will help me determine codes and problem spots

Old 02-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=SrWilliams;882178]I never thought to check for warning lights . I will do so.

"can I pour gas down the manifold. If, so, hw would I go about doing that ?" Sorry, if you have to ask it is something that is potentially unsafe and could lead to an engine fire.

The real answer is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see if maintaining at least 30 psi pressure. Your sysmptoms match a partly clogged fuel filter, fuel line, or failing fuel pump that lets enough seep through for the engine to start but does not maintain enough flow to stay running.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Have a 2007 Crossfire Coupe, 40,000 miles. Never ever had a problem with this fabulous car.

I was about to run out of gas and started the car with no problem and made it to the local gas station. Put just a couple of dollars of gas in the car just to make it to the less costly gas station a few miles down the road. When I jumped in the car from the first gas station and went to start the car it turned over and after a second or two died. Did this same thing over and over.

Filled the gas tank up thinking it needed more gas and still no go. All the car does is start (turn over) and then shuts down after a second. Never had any sort of problem like this before. HAs air gotten onto the fuel line or what.

Car fires right up and then dies. All of this started at the gas station when I was real low on gas.

Starting with the common Crossfire stuff the CPS could be it but it usually starts after a cool down but you never really got up to temp anyway so maybe not.

Maybe the fuel pump relay in the Relay Control Module too.

Don't bother trying to pour fuel into it.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

The first thing to do is check if any error codes are present, why waste time guessing if a code tells you the problem.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The first thing to do is check if any error codes are present, why waste time guessing if a code tells you the problem.
180 you are so correct. I just spent time researching and saw U-Tube videos on how to pull up codes on a Chrysler without a scanner. I will try that in the morning to see what codes come up

Old 02-18-2017, 09:29 PM

180 you are so correct. I just spent time researching and saw U-Tube videos on how to pull up codes on a Chrysler without a scanner. I will try that in the morning to see what codes come up
That method does not work on the Crossfire, sorry you need a scanner or get the codes read at some auto parts suppliers.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very similar to our first stalling symptom which turned out to be crank pos. sensor. (so common) We had no check engine light and did not use a code reader. CPS not too difficult/expensive if DIY carefully. Trickiest part, I think, is removing the connector without breaking it's retaining clip. Tons of info here on it. For added insurance consider sending relay control module to Tighed 1 for insp./repair. Again, not difficult nor expensive. (check eng. light came on after my repair, then cleared itself when driven) Checking for error codes is of course always a good idea

Last edited by lovecross; 02-19-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

disconnect the batt for 5 min this may erset everything to get you home so you can check the codes and make the repair. jim

Old 02-21-2017, 02:36 PM

I do not understand. I used a code scanner three times, back to back and the car is throwing no codes. I keep getting "0 Codes".

I am curious, could the crank pos. sensor be the issue even if it is not throwing a sensor?

The car is still cranking and turning over only to shut down after 1 second or immediately

Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A fuel pressure gauge can be bought from any autoparts store for around $20 or less, just screws on to the fuel rail, makes easy to check pressure, just when you take it off make sure it seals back up, and check a couple times after.

It is never a good idea to run low on gas.
When the pump starts sucking air, it greatly reduces the life of the pump.
Even if there is gas in the tank and running fine, when cornering, the gas will slosh to the side and could leave the pickup barely sucking, so it is getting gas and also some air, but might not be enough to relize it is sucking a small amounts of air.

Does anyone know if crossfire will give a code with low fuel pressure?

Do you use premium gas only??? 92+ octane?

When it does start, does it fire right up as it should, or does it have to crank a couple xtra rotations ?

Another thing I carry around with me is a mechanics stethoscope, cheap at any autoparts store also.

Example if someone was turning car over you can listen to each injector to hear if they are opening and closing.

1st I would try.
Disconnect battery for 15 minutes then rehooked battery and try and start your car.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not understand. I used a code scanner three times, back to back and the car is throwing no codes. I keep getting "0 Codes".

I am curious, could the crank pos. sensor be the issue even if it is not throwing a sensor?

The car is still cranking and turning over only to shut down after 1 second or immediately
Most OBDII scanners cannot read proprietary OEM codes. I cannot recall if the CPS code is in the open source codes side or on the proprietary side. It's a $40 part on German Automotive's website, might as well just try it.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Most OBDII scanners cannot read proprietary OEM codes. I cannot recall if the CPS code is in the open source codes side or on the proprietary side. It's a $40 part on German Automotive's website, might as well just try it.
Open.. pulled up on my $18 amazon scanner when I was waiting - trying to get it to start again.. There has been a case or two where a code wasn't thrown but a replacement CPS fixed the no start..

Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my own experience, I'm thinking crank pos. sensor, then bad relay or solder joint on the relay control module, both very common and not terribly difficult. (1/4" socket & extension helps get to CPS bolt) Search issue for more input. Ask Tighed 1, p.m. him? (Rockauto.com sells new RCM, called "computer control relay" for $179.89 + ship.)

Last edited by lovecross; 02-22-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

a bad crank sensor wouldn't let the car fire, a bad cam sensor may although that doesn't sound like the problem. so i assume the car was towed home by now? try your spare key as your current key may be having issues if it dies 1 second after starting.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:44 AM

Can you hear the gas pump running all the time? It should not shut off.
I guess that the fuel filter valve is working OK as well and keeping the pressure up.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Possibly the fuel pump relay. If yer handy open the RCM and check to see if the fuel relay is closing on startup.
If not, close it manually and see if she runs.

Here's a picture that some old dude posted before to help ya out.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1

Possibly the fuel pump relay. If yer handy open the RCM and check to see if the fuel relay is closing on startup.
If not, close it manually and see if she runs.

Here's a picture that some old dude posted before to help ya out.
That is an old photo, it has been updated.