Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

oil pressure notification

Old 04-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure notification

I keep getting an oil pressure "HI" notification every time I drive my Crossfire. It always seems to come on at the same location on my way home. What gives?

Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: oil pressure notification

Probably in a pretty sharp corner, right ?
If so, oil level is probably too high, need to suck a bit out until it's not over the top dipstick mark.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Probably in a pretty sharp corner, right ?
If so, oil level is probably too high, need to suck a bit out until it's not over the top dipstick mark.
Or the sensor is reading a wrong level and needs to be replaced.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
I keep getting an oil pressure "HI" notification every time I drive my Crossfire. It always seems to come on at the same location on my way home. What gives?
It's not a pressure alarm, its a level alarm. My first two Roadsters did that on 8 1/2 quarts in tight curves of on downgrades.
My current car got an 8 quart change when I got it home - never seen the alarm.
So............

If you are putting 8 1/2 quarts in at oil changes, put in 8 next time.

If you are already putting in only 8, see post 3.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

The oil light on my SRT has come on a couple times lately. Oil is right on full line on dip stick, I do oil changes from the top and put in eight quarts and I can't get an electronic readout. My guess is bad sensor. I need to buy a hoist. I'm too damn old too do that on the ground. My garage opens to the alley and the driveway is three lanes wide. I'm pretty sure I need a hoist.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
It's not a pressure alarm, its a level alarm. My first two Roadsters did that on 8 1/2 quarts in tight curves of on downgrades.
My current car got an 8 quart change when I got it home - never seen the alarm.
So............

If you are putting 8 1/2 quarts in at oil changes, put in 8 next time.

If you are already putting in only 8, see post 3.
Some peoples cars are friendlier than others and say Hi.
Mine is more conservative and says nothing except when I have the Nav radio in it and then it will just not shut up.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-20-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mistakingly added 10 1/2 quarts to my Crossfire during an oil change about 3 years ago. I never noticed on the dipstick, because I didn't check after adding the oil. I "knew" exactly how much I put in...so why bother (yeah, dumb move!).

The next morning I got the Hi Oil alert after about 15 minutes driving. It still bothers me that the alert wasn't presented immediately after starting the car after the oil change...but there you go. I was not in a place where I could do anything about it, so I drive for the day, and on my return I sucked "some" oil out. The alert went away, and I feel better.

Next morning...same thing. After 15 minutes driving, the Hi Oil alert returns. And once again, I can't do anything until the end of the day. This time I decide to keep sucking until I can see the right level on the dip stick. After a short while of sucking I said out loud...this is ridiculous...where is all this oil coming from? Then it hit me...the two - 1 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 that I used were, in fact, 5 quart jugs. And the 1/2 quart that I'd saved from my previous oil change was just additional insult. Terrible lesson...and with a lasting legacy. That's when my valve covers began leaking...with just enough drip on the exhaust to bring back memories of my old 1962 Ford Galaxie....the first car I ever bought. Whether conventional or synthetic, oil on exhaust manifolds smells the same.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by markr6754
I mistakingly added 10 1/2 quarts to my Crossfire during an oil change about 3 years ago. I never noticed on the dipstick, because I didn't check after adding the oil. I "knew" exactly how much I put in...so why bother (yeah, dumb move!).

The next morning I got the Hi Oil alert after about 15 minutes driving. It still bothers me that the alert wasn't presented immediately after starting the car after the oil change...but there you go. I was not in a place where I could do anything about it, so I drive for the day, and on my return I sucked "some" oil out. The alert went away, and I feel better.

Next morning...same thing. After 15 minutes driving, the Hi Oil alert returns. And once again, I can't do anything until the end of the day. This time I decide to keep sucking until I can see the right level on the dip stick. After a short while of sucking I said out loud...this is ridiculous...where is all this oil coming from? Then it hit me...the two - 1 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 that I used were, in fact, 5 quart jugs. And the 1/2 quart that I'd saved from my previous oil change was just additional insult. Terrible lesson...and with a lasting legacy. That's when my valve covers began leaking...with just enough drip on the exhaust to bring back memories of my old 1962 Ford Galaxie....the first car I ever bought. Whether conventional or synthetic, oil on exhaust manifolds smells the same.

We have all had our 'moments'... Mine was adding all 5 quarts to my 1972 fury III (way back in 1974), and then checking the dipstick and seeing nothing on it. Seeing all 5 empties, a sick feeling came over me when I saw the oil pan drain bolt on the radiator crossmember. I just dumped 5 quarts of oil down into the dirty oil recovery tank at the plant I was operating. At least it was a cheap lesson. Getting a lift to the store to buy another 5 qts, was the hardest part.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM

BAS International Blue Mohair top (Installed by ala_xfire)
Did you catch that George ? See I can do something useful other than just type on this forum

Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Some peoples cars are friendlier than others and say Hi.
Mine is more conservative and says nothing except when I have the Nav radio in it and then it will just not shut up.
I do miss my NAV head unit from the Graphite - I had it set to the english lady voice - made me feel like Bond.

James Bond.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Re: oil pressure notification

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I do miss my NAV head unit from the Graphite - I had it set to the english lady voice - made me feel like Bond.

James Bond.

007 might be driving a "Range Rova Spot" or a "Jagua" now. (friend @ work could easily double for "Odd Job" if you can imagine that, LOL!)

Last edited by lovecross; 04-21-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 AM

I get a bit of that from my Garmin, I have it set to the English lady voice.