Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Transmission Help/Limp Mode HELP

Old 02-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Help/Limp Mode HELP

I have a 2004 Crossfire. The car has around 2000 original miles on it.

The car developed a leak in the transmission plug adapter.

I decided to replace the plug adapter and the transmission fluid and filter.

Afterwards the car ran fine for about 100 miles. Then the transmission went into limp mode.
I have now replaced the Conductor plate twice and can't get out of limp mode.

I have read on some threads that after the conductor plate is replaced you need a Merc Star Tool to erase the codes. Is this true?

I have cleared the codes (0715 and 0715pd) using an Ultragauge Blue and Actron CP9125 OBDII scanner with no effect.

I have read some threads on the internet that suggest replacing the solenoids may be the solution. I tested the solenoids and they all appear to be working and within acceptable continuity/resistance range. Also, it seems implausible that anything mechanical could be wrong with the transmission in the first 2000 miles it's driven.

I also checked the TCM and there is no sign of transmission fluid or water damage---it's pristine.

Any ideas?

Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Help/Limp Mode HELP

Hi Jocko124

The fault that your getting involves the speed sensor on the transmission conductor plate.

If your transmission is in permanent limp mode then then the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) needs to be reset (fault cleared) with the Mercedes Star Diagnostics tool. The errors are reported up to the ECU and can be cleared from the ECU, but they're held in the TCU and must be cleared from there or the transmission won't come out of limp mode.

As to why your car has gone into limp mode in the first place, I'm not sure. Especially when it was going fine to start with. I don't think the problem is with the TCU or the solenoids, but are you certain you've installed the conductor plate properly (as the speed sensor can be bent up a bit sometimes when you get them out of the packaging)?

However, it all might be fine now that you've replaced the conductor plate again, but you won't know until you clear the fault from the TCU and go for a drive.

Last edited by CL770; 02-16-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 PM

CL770,

Is the MB Star tool the only device that can clear the fault or can I purchase an Autel MD802 to do it? Being in limp mode and in Houston, driving to the nearest MB dealer is not an option.

Thanks,

Lee

Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jocko124
CL770,

Is the MB Star tool the only device that can clear the fault or can I purchase an Autel MD802 to do it? Being in limp mode and in Houston, driving to the nearest MB dealer is not an option.

Thanks,

Lee
Hi Lee

I've never used the Autel so I'm not sure if it can. It looks like a very capable tool so it might be able to. I'd email the people that sell them to be sure. Ask if it can be used to reset the fault codes on the TCU of Mercedes Benz SLK320 (R170 Chassis). Let me know how you go

Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by CL770
Hi Lee

I've never used the Autel so I'm not sure if it can. It looks like a very capable tool so it might be able to. I'd email the people that sell them to be sure. Ask if it can be used to reset the fault codes on the TCU of Mercedes Benz SLK320 (R170 Chassis). Let me know how you go
Why not ask if it can read and reset fault codes on a Crossfire?

Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Why not ask if it can read and reset fault codes on a Crossfire?
He could, the only reason I said R170 is that I've seen devices that support Chrysler vehicles that say they work on Crossfire, but don't. If it works on the R170 TCU it will work on the Crossfire.

I've done a bit more research and I can see that Autel does list the Crossfire as supported. I'd just check with them before I spent my money.

Last edited by CL770; 02-16-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: z
Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Just tried resetting the fault with the Autel Diaglink (DIY Version of MD802) to no avail. Ideas?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't had your issue, but from googling around the Mercedes Benz forums, it sure looks like you need someone with the STAR system to clear it for you. Sorry to say that. Below are a couple of cut-and-pastes from other forums:

"I think your going to have to have it re-set by someone with the STAR system... I just had this same problem... I was having problems with the trans going into the soft limp mode where it stays in the last gear it was in until you shut the car off and restart. (Classic Conductor Plate Failure...) I out smarted myself by trying a coasting re-start. That was the wrong thing to do because it locked me into hard limp mode... All I had was 1st gear & reverse. I changed the conductor plate and still had the problem. I had to have the car towed to a local private repair shop that has the STAR system. $75.00 later the code was out and everything was back in order. So long story short, once your in the hard limp mode you need the STAR system to reset that code. Good luck and check with a local private shop that will save you money over the dealer."

"Transmission codes cannot be cleared by a hand held scanner. You will need Carsoft and adapter. It's easiest to just drive to a reputable independent mechanic and ask them to clear the fault. My indy did the tranny clear for $35 after I replaced the conductor plate - and he even gave me a printout of stored codes."

Old 02-18-2018, 09:15 PM

Ugg....so nothing will work but the Star Tool? This may be the first time I’ve been disappointed in the Crossfire!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Fixed!!!!fixed!!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jocko124
Fixed!!!!fixed!!!!
How , How , How !!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:09 PM

2 Words: Autel Diaglink MD802 (DIY Version)!!

Based on another thread and Padgett's recommendation I purchased the Autel last week. I downloaded the Chrysler module and ran a diagnostic. It showed P0715 (Active & Pending). I erased it multiple times, with no effect.

I started reading a bunch more on MB forums and it seemed that a lot peoples' opinions was that when you are in "Hard Limp" mode, the only solution is the Star system at the MB Dealership.

Since the car was stuck in 2nd gear and un-driveable at highway speeds my only option was to rent a truck & trailer and tow it---which I was not enthusiastic about. I started looking at higher level ODBII readers costing $700-$2000, but could not see that they had any code erasing capability better than the one I had already bought. I had pretty much given up and conceded that I had to tow the car to the dealership.

I decided to blow a final $10 on a Mercedes Benz module for my Autel. As soon as I ran the diagnostic, it was obvious that the MB module was communicating much better with my Crossfire and it read multiple codes in various areas. I erased all the codes, turned the car on, and voila! For the first time in a month the transmission did not jerk into gear when I put it in "D." Went for a 60 mile drive---no faults popped up!

The following users liked this post:
JustSynthetic.com (09-17-2021)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you tell us more about this MB module???

Old 02-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd sure like to know about the module, etc. This is an Autel md802? Is the module a download addition or something you plug in?

Glad you got it running!!!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:35 AM

Gents, Here's a link to the device:

Amazon Amazon

Once the scanner arrives, you get a free module download. A module is equal to any car make. I downloaded the Chrysler module initially and it did not work properly with my Crossfire. I then downloaded (for $10) the Mercedes Benz module and identified the car as an SLK320 and the scanner was able to communicate with the car and read and erase all faults.

The following users liked this post:
JustSynthetic.com (09-17-2021)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Eco
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE
Got the following 4 codes, any ideas on what could be the cause, could it be the transmission conductor plate.

Got the scanner ordered, will update on progress once received.

Last edited by Eco; 05-21-2019 at 05:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eco:
JustSynthetic.com (09-17-2021), William1 (06-13-2020)